Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to Gun Photography, rather than continue to use Non-Glock Firearms. After all, somebody might have a real question about non-Glock firearms, right?

Here's my latest effort, this time I used a RAW file and finished it up with Adobe Photoshop Elements. The dull finish of this gun is holding me back, I think, so I'm going to make a few photos of stainless Ruger Vaqueros to see if I can handle the difference in reflectiveness (is that even a word?). I think I also need some more wattage. Hmmm. Maybe a visit to B&H Photo is in my future.

Anyway, here's another contribution:

STI Edited.jpg

Chris

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Why are you using the RAW format?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Is there a sitting fee or does my Glock need an appointment? Lastly can I get wallet size as well?

Chris great idea, we have talked in the past at how well your pics turn out and especially when you are doing circles, ovals, and names. I believe everyone can benefit from this thread especially when they need to show others a problem they are having.

Now just how do you get them to smile?

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Because I can adjust the white balance with Photoshop, and I can't do it with iPhoto. It seems to produce better detail. These improvements are coming slower and slower now....am I missing something big? This time I let Photoshop do the work with AUTO white balance. Advice appreciated.

Vaquero 3.jpg

Vaquero 1.jpg

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a sitting fee or does my Glock need an appointment? Lastly can I get wallet size as well?

Chris great idea, we have talked in the past at how well your pics turn out and especially when you are doing circles, ovals, and names. I believe everyone can benefit from this thread especially when they need to show others a problem they are having.

Now just how do you get them to smile?
Thanks, Oklahoma. But let's be honest, the Fearless Leader in this area is EdF702, his work is brilliantly clear, and he's the one who shared the idea of the light box.

There will be no sitting fee, but the BATFE will have us both in the slammer if you send me a gun for a photo. Their sense of humor is probably a little thin these days, don't you think?

Chris

·
Registered
24 Posts
RAW offers so much more flexibility in post processing.
When you set your camera to save in jpg format, a large amount of image data is discarded by the camera and can not be retrieved. RAW does not do this until post processing is complete and the image is then saved to another format. Even then, the original RAW file is still preserved for future use.

Basicly, RAW is to digita what the negative is to film.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
RAW offers so much more flexibility in post processing.
When you set your camera to save in jpg format, a large amount of image data is discarded by the camera and can not be retrieved. RAW does not do this until post processing is complete and the image is then saved to another format. Even then, the original RAW file is still preserved for future use.

Basicly, RAW is to digita what the negative is to film.
That makes sense, to a degree.... For me, I'm basically taking nice digital snap-shots. I understand the software interpretation vs actual image, but I'm not prepared to spend the time with the processing.... I should, I have Aperture 3, but I just shoot 'em, size 'em and share 'em...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Because I can adjust the white balance with Photoshop, and I can't do it with iPhoto. It seems to produce better detail. These improvements are coming slower and slower now....am I missing something big? This time I let Photoshop do the work with AUTO white balance. Advice appreciated.

View attachment 3715

View attachment 3716

Chris
That looks good.... Keep doing that!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I moved this from the other thread.... I'm not what could by any stretch be called a photographer! But these are getting there IMHO...

Here's examples of the "evolution of my pistol photography.... It's getting there, but it takes practice....

Early... No light box..

Now with light box, but with a compact digital camera and struggling with the white balance...

Most recent stuff.... Now with DSLR and using (3) lights with the light box and getting better with the white balance...

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
Thanks, this is an area where I have a LOT to learn. I wonder if we shouldn't start a thread just for gun photography?

My Nikon D80 will allow me to capture photos both with JPEG fine and RAW at the same time, so I've got that set up, and I have Photoshop Elements that will allow me to work with the RAW photos. Now I can experiment, because I have almost no idea what to do with a RAW image other than save it as something else. A little more experimentation time is all I need.

Chris

Amazon.com: Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS5 (9780321713094): Jeff Schewe, Bruce Fraser: Books

Good book to learn about processing Raw images...

I usually output to both jpeg and Raw images... Then, if I'm lazy, I can just use the jpeg... If something tricky screws up the exposure, I can fix it in Raw mode...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm really pleased that we've started this thread.... Just the information about "RAW" is terrific, I honestly had never heard of it! And I have all the hardware and software to really take advantage of the capabilities of the format.

My camera's software does a "good" job, but it will be satisfying to try some on my own....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not that high speed. My pictures are limited to my iPhone, the backside of a poster (white background), and the kitchen counter. Here are a few I've taken using the camera app and adjusted slightly (whites, brightness, color tone) using the color splash app.

SA TRP Operator Full Rail

Sig P226 Combat TB

Glock 23C RTF2

Glock 19 RTF2 with TSD Slide & RMR-07

·
Super Moderator
6,961 Posts
I'm not that high speed. My pictures are limited to my iPhone, the backside of a poster (white background), and the kitchen counter. Here are a few I've taken using the camera app and adjusted slightly (whites, brightness, color tone) using the color splash app.
Beautiful!

Probably the best cell phone pictures I've seen...

·
Registered
293 Posts
My passion and expertise, and I use that term loosely, is landscape photography. I feel it's necessary to inform you guys that while I did use my macro lens, I'm not really set up for true macro photography. So this really isn't my best photographic work.

The Beauty and The Beast
DSC08382-2.jpg
DSC08401-2.jpg
DSC08415-2.jpg
DSC08419-2.jpg
DSC08424-2.jpg
Big Boy and Little Brother
DSC08428-3.jpg

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Beats the $#!+ out of what I can do!

·
Registered
293 Posts
LOL, thanks Ed. It's just like shooting: practice makes perfect. There is no substitute for good fundamentals, however, shooting in RAW and good software can make some unmanageable situations manageable. SONY-A700 Body with Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro, and Sigma 18-55 f2.8-4, edited in Lightroom 4.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
.There is no substitute for good fundamentals, however, shooting in RAW and good software can make some unmanageable situations manageable. SONY-A700 Body with Sigma 50mm f2.8 Macro, and Sigma 18-55 f2.8-4, edited in Lightroom 4.
You just raised the bar again, NYY. Those are fine photos, especially the one with the two pistols, slide to slide. Lots of depth of field on that one, I'd be curious about what aperture was used in that case.

Chris

·
Registered
293 Posts
You just raised the bar again, NYY. Those are fine photos, especially the one with the two pistols, slide to slide. Lots of depth of field on that one, I'd be curious about what aperture was used in that case.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. That one was f9, 1/160, ISO100, manual mode. I used my studio flash with my hot shoe flash off camera as fill.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
These were shot in RAW and processed in Aperture 3....

IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg

1 - 20 of 215 Posts