Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me in the direction of the GSSF rules concerning sights and pistol classes? I am in the process of getting a G35 Gen4 and would like to change out the factory sights for a set of adjustable 3 dot sights by LPA. I have googled it, hit up the GSSF site, etc and have had no luck. I want to print it off for future refrence. My understanding was anything that would come OEM is legal, but I have seen pics of all sorts of stuff online and would like written clarification.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Sir! As I read it, to stay in Stock, Amatuer class, the sights are about the only part I can swap out, except OEM parts.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thank you, Sir! As I read it, to stay in Stock, Amatuer class, the sights are about the only part I can swap out, except OEM parts.
Thanks again.
That's about it, but please note the item about "post and notch sights only".

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's about it, but please note the item about "post and notch sights only".
Yeah, I took that to mean standard irons or night sights, no optics or ghost rings. I have Aro-Tek 3 dot night sights on my G17 now. It came with the plastic sights, but I was having trouble with the sight picture, so I swapped them out. I have some Meprolight's which are OEM take-offs from another G17, so I could swap them out if need be to be legal.
My G35 deal fell through so I will continue to use my G17. All my other Glocks are modded, 2 permanently, so my G17 is my best bet. But it is a good shooter and I bought it for GSSF anyway.
Thanks for the input, Rowdie!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I just joined GSSF, in fact I just got my new member package today. I'm not sure why it took me so long to join, but it is what it is. Anyway, my intent is on using the voucher for a Gen4 G17 to add to my Gen 4's 19 and 26. My 19 and 26 are factory enough to still be eligible for "stock" GSSF matches, but I use both for concealed carry. I would like to make any modifications I can under the GSSF rules, including a Glock minus connector, but I will not make any internal mods to a carry pistol, especially to the trigger. As I see I have three options on choosing a firearm for GSSF use:

1) Use the 19 and/or 26 for GSSF and mod out the 17
2) Keep the 17 "stock" under GSSF rules and use it for GSSF matches.
3) Keep the 17 "stock" and get a second 17 or 19 (or a 34) and mod it into a competition pistol.

As is usually the case, #3 is the most desirable and most expensive. Option 2 gives me 3 "stock" pistols, although I can use the minus connector on the 17 as it would never be entered into a defensive role. Option 1 would give me a custom G17 and allow me to keep my carry pistols as is, but that eliminates the possibility of improving the triggers for GSSF matches, and something about using my carry guns for competition seems a little wrong.

Your opinions are welcome, and if anyone has any other suggestions I didn't think of, I am all ears.

Reactions: cohland

·
Registered
434 Posts
I still can't believe Glock hasn't realized that stimpling offers a great modification. Gen 4 grips still can't measure up

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
...I would like to make any modifications I can under the GSSF rules, including a Glock minus connector, but I will not make any internal mods to a carry pistol, especially to the trigger. As I see I have three options on choosing a firearm for GSSF use:

1) Use the 19 and/or 26 for GSSF and mod out the 17
2) Keep the 17 "stock" under GSSF rules and use it for GSSF matches.
3) Keep the 17 "stock" and get a second 17 or 19 (or a 34) and mod it into a competition pistol.

As is usually the case, #3 is the most desirable and most expensive. Option 2 gives me 3 "stock" pistols, although I can use the minus connector on the 17 as it would never be entered into a defensive role. Option 1 would give me a custom G17 and allow me to keep my carry pistols as is, but that eliminates the possibility of improving the triggers for GSSF matches, and something about using my carry guns for competition seems a little wrong....
You have clearly put some thought into this, well done!

First, I think that several members will advise you to use your carry gun(s) in competition because it's a sound practice to improve your practical shooting skills. The obvious priority here would be the use of the pistol in defense, and probably not winning matches, but I have seen skilled LEO's do very well with their carry guns at GSSF, IDPA, and USPSA.

That said, I understand your thinking about what to modify, so I'll just offer some plain advice. I have a G17, G19, and a G34, so I can speak from some experience here.

I would keep the G17, G19, and G26 in original condition and use them for carry purposes. They're all great pistols, but the G34 is simply a better choice for GSSF and even USPSA because of two factors: long sight radius (longer slide) and it comes with the Glock "-" connector installed. If you get a shiny new Gen4 G34, you can put the new beavertail backstrap on the gun if you like the feel.

It's perfectly legal to polish the connector, trigger bar, and firing pin safety on a G34, all that does is to accelerate the break-in process, and it will smooth out the trigger a bit. If you change the sights on a G34 (and I recommend that you do), you can still shoot it competitively and legally in GSSF and USPSA Production Division.

Aftermarket triggers, like the excellent Glocktriggers "Edge" (The "EDGE" Competition Trigger System - GlockTriggers.com) and others, will reduce trigger take-up (pre-travel) and allow you to adjust over-travel, and they include lighter firing pin springs in the packages. The lighter firing pin spring does a lot to reduce trigger pull at the expense of reliability: your chances of getting light strikes and failures to fire are good with those springs. The aftermarket trigger kits also make the G34 illegal in USPSA Production Division and GSSF Stock classes.

How much I spend on a given pistol is in proportion to my skill in the competition division in which I'll use that pistol. Right now, and probably for the foreseeable future, I'm a USPSA "Middle C" shooter. I need more practice than I do modified guns. If you are a developing shooter, I would just get a G34, change the sights, and use it in GSSF and USPSA Production Division, spending more money on ammo and practice time.

Remember, you can literally shoot ALL of your Glocks at any GSSF match, all you need to do is to pay for more entries, so you can get out there and exercise your G26, G19, and G17 if you want to do that.

In summary (finally...) my GSSF and USPSA Production gun is a Gen4 G34. All I've done to the gun is to replace the sights and polish the internal parts. Now I need to go practice some more!

Chris

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
+1 what Chris said. The G17L is also a good choice for GSSF competition
for the same reasons as the G34.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts