Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen pictures of several of you using outside the waisteband holsters during GSSF meets. What would you recommend for a G17 holster to be used at GSSF meets?

I'm planning on ordering a Comp-Tac MTAC holster to carry my G19, so a Comp-Tac OWB holster for my 17 would be good... but I am open to any kind, actually! Also thinking about one of the Comp-Tac belts...

·
None
1,525 Posts
Whatever you get needs to be able to secure by the trigger guard and not the ejection port. If the pistol is in the holster the slide has to be locked back. I use a Comp-tac paddle slide. I carry my second pistol in my bag.

A holster isn't required.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Here's my recommendation if you want something quality that can also be used for carry, classes, range, etc.

Comp-Tac
aHolster > review here ... http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=45044&hilit=aholster
Alabama Holster Company
Raven
Kaluban Cloak

You could get by with a BladeTech and they are pretty inexpensive but I wouldn't carry one outside the square range. That's just me. For that reason alone I wouldn't recommend spending money on one. I like having something that is more versatile.

·
None
1,525 Posts
jb,

Don't forget that you can carry your pistol in the factory clam shell case or in your shooting bag for GSSF. You start all stages from a ready position and don't draw the pistol any at all. There is no need to buy a holster specially for GSSF use.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's my recommendation if you want something quality that can also be used for carry, classes, range, etc.

Comp-Tac
aHolster > review here ... http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=45044&hilit=aholster
Alabama Holster Company
Raven
Kaluban Cloak

You could get by with a BladeTech and they are pretty inexpensive but I wouldn't carry one outside the square range. That's just me. For that reason alone I wouldn't recommend spending money on one. I like having something that is more versatile.
Great review, Vol... Thanks for the info...

Nice holster...

jb,

Don't forget that you can carry your pistol in the factory clam shell case or in your shooting bag for GSSF. You start all stages from a ready position and don't draw the pistol any at all. There is no need to buy a holster specially for GSSF use.
I have a shooting bag...

Good point...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
If you decide to get a holster, I'd also recommend the Comp-Tac paddle or possibly even the Gladiator. These are great holsters and obviously can be used for more than just GSSF. For a paddle, you won't find one any better than the Comp-Tac in my opinion. For OWB, I've gone completly away from holsters that attach by putting my belt through slots. I like the snaps for easy on/off when necessary, but the snaps stay put when needed.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you decide to get a holster, I'd also recommend the Comp-Tac paddle or possibly even the Gladiator. These are great holsters and obviously can be used for more than just GSSF. For a paddle, you won't find one any better than the Comp-Tac in my opinion. For OWB, I've gone completly away from holsters that attach by putting my belt through slots. I like the snaps for easy on/off when necessary, but the snaps stay put when needed.
Thanks...

I like the Comp-Tac holsters, too... I've never actually seen one, but they look like they're made and put together well...

·
Registered
279 Posts

this is the holster i use for USPSA matches with my glock 23. but we also start holstered and have to draw.

its a blackhawk serpa level 2 retention. it comes with the paddle type thing to hook on your pants aswell as the belt type attachment. it is a trigger gaurd type locking holster so there will be no issue with the slide being locked open while in the holster.

it can be found for 25-$40

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Beware of Serpas though ... if you ever decide to take a course be sure to clear the holster with the instructor before you show up. Some won't allow them due to potential safety issues.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yep - Several ranges won't even allow them. I have no personal experience with them but would hate to have one and not be allowed to use it?

·
None
1,525 Posts
I know they were banned at GPSTC. One of the big names, Suarez maybe, doesn't allow them in his classes either. There are others.

The problem is that people press the release and draw the pistol with pressure still on their finger. It slides off the holster right onto the trigger.

If used correctly, it isn't a problem. It's the users that cause the issue.

I don't use a Serpa because it just looks to easy for mud and debris from a ground fight to jam the mechanism. I do have one only because it was the only holster I could find for a railed 1911 on short notice, but now that my Comp-tac has arrived the Serpa went in the box of discarded holsters.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

I don't use a Serpa because it just looks to easy for mud and debris from a ground fight to jam the mechanism. I do have one only because it was the only holster I could find for a railed 1911 on short notice, but now that my Comp-tac has arrived the Serpa went in the box of discarded holsters.
These two factors are what makes for a bad combo ....
Noobs + using a readily available, inexpensive holster = potential for BANG.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know they were banned at GPSTC. One of the big names, Suarez maybe, doesn't allow them in his classes either. There are others.

The problem is that people press the release and draw the pistol with pressure still on their finger. It slides off the holster right onto the trigger.

hm.. i havent noticed any issues with possible jamming of the button due to debris. i did notice on the glock holster in particular they added a little hump next to the button for some reason so i just cut that off with my knife.

honestly though i think a 30 second explination of the holster would solve alot of self inflicted gunshot wounds by newbs. but also keep in mind the more a product is sold the more injurys can occur with it and the serpas are probably sold to alot of people who shouldnt even own a gun due to ignorance. but theres very little pressure required to release the gun from the holster. if you make any contact with the button really it will be enough to release the gun. also where you press the button as the gun comes out your finger is in the correct position on the side of the frame.

are these associations that are banning this holster also banning any button retention style holster all together?

·
None
1,525 Posts
GPSTC banned every holster with a release style similar to that of the Serpa.

I've never seen the Serpa get jammed with debris, but a study of its design does indicate that it could easily happen in a ground fight scenario.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
honestly though i think a 30 second explination of the holster would solve alot of self inflicted gunshot wounds by newbs.
One would think this to be true but if one follows the 4 rules of firearms safety that should prevent ALL NDs. Unfortunately, this isn't true. Especially under stress, newbs and experienced folks alike do things even they know they shouldn't do.

True though about the Serpa being sold in large numbers, therefore, a great chance someone will screw it up. That we definitely agree on.

·
Registered
279 Posts
GPSTC banned every holster with a release style similar to that of the Serpa.

I've never seen the Serpa get jammed with debris, but a study of its design does indicate that it could easily happen in a ground fight scenario.
in a ground fight i think id like the gun to stay jammed in my holster.. if i cant get it then he cant get it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
May come a time you want to take it out and use it...
but that time may never come if he gets my gun first. if i am able to get far enough away from this said person to try and draw my gun again and i cant. first off he has no firearms on him or we wouldnt have gone to the ground. second if he had a knife one of us is bleeding badly and may be dead already. or third he had nothing and its hand to hand combat. but for sure we know he didnt have a gun. so now my options are pull my feild knife also located on my belt, pull my pepper spray also located on my belt. or duke it out hand to hand some more. all of these items are also on my belt anytime i would be wearing the belt with this holster.

·
None
1,525 Posts
but that time may never come if he gets my gun first. if i am able to get far enough away from this said person to try and draw my gun again and i cant. first off he has no firearms on him or we wouldnt have gone to the ground. second if he had a knife one of us is bleeding badly and may be dead already. or third he had nothing and its hand to hand combat. but for sure we know he didnt have a gun. so now my options are pull my feild knife also located on my belt, pull my pepper spray also located on my belt. or duke it out hand to hand some more. all of these items are also on my belt anytime i would be wearing the belt with this holster.
Or, you could carry using a holster that offers as much or more security but that isn't as prone to failure...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dang, I bought a Serpa holster for my Glock 20, I don't plan on using it for anything more than going out to the desert and shooting, so hopefully I won't have any issues with it. It seems nice enough though, I just won't be rolling around in the dirt with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.