Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to a few GSSF matches now; so, I thought I would post some helpful hints for folks new to GSSF and planning to attend their first match.

Registration: You can pre-register for the match. This must be done by Wednesday of the week of the match. This will save you some time on the match day, and it will save you a little bit of money as well ($10 registration fee on the day of the match).

Sign up procedures: Once you get to the range, go around and sign up at each station. This way you will be able to pick the the station with the shortest wait time when you get ready to shoot a stage. Basically, you sign up and put your time of arrival. When you come back to shoot the actual stage, they will look at your arrival time to determine your squad placement.

You may also want to take the time to walk around the range to make sure you find all of the stations. At the last match, there was a station tucked away that most of the shooters didn't realize was there. We were able to shoot without waiting at all.

Overall Time: At some matches they don't have enough range officers to break out staff for lunch; so, they shut down a station to let its staff go to lunch. If you are shooting around lunch time be aware of this. I have shot two matches recently where I got caught up in this. At one match it didn't have much impact, but at the other it added a significant amount of time to get through all of the stages.

I have shot a complete match in well under two hours, but I have also had it take all day to shoot a match. Plan to be there ALL day.

Practice stations: At some matches they will have practice stations set up such as an extra plate rack where they charge a dollar or two per run. This is a good way to shake off the cobwebs prior to shooting the actual match.

Stage Order: There isn't a pre-set order in which you must shoot the stages. You may want to evaluate the course of fire and pick a stage where you think you will do well and start there to give yourself a psychological boost. However, you may get to the range and see lesser wait times for the other stages.

--
If I can think of anything else, I'll add it. I'd love to hear from other shooters as well. Maybe I'll pick up some helpful hints.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Excellent information! Thanks for posting it...

I'm currently reading a book with a chapter on GSSF competition, but it's always best to hear first hand from someone that has actually been there and done it...

I was wondering if it would be possible to shoot the entire event in one day. My only Glock is a 17, so I won't be able to shoot the sub-compact classes. I would like to shoot at least two events, so maybe I'll register for one of the Master events just for practice... Not quite sure how everything works yet.

Thanks again for taking the time to write that up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've yet to attend a GSSF match but am dying to try one. Please let me know the next time you guys are going to one locally.

·
Registered
55 Posts
jb, sure you can shoot it in one day. I've been to two matches now and only went one day on each. You can enter multiple divisions with a G17. Assuming civilian, you could enter amateur and competition with it.

Bulldawg, Next one is in Griffin in Feb. I believe most of us local guys are going.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it's on a Sat & Sun, do you have to go to both days or can you go on Sunday only?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I'll be adding a few items to my range bag next time.

Rain Coat
Umbrella
Something to cover my range bag in the case of inclement weather.
Bonney Hat (if I can find one that will cover the electronic ears)
Magazine Loader (UPLula)

Previous Range bag contents
Guns
Magazines (Loaded)
Ammo (Extra)
Eyes
Ears
Extra Batteries for ears
Hand Towels
Change of clothes (shirt and socks if inclement weather is even possible)
Cash for Practice Rounds (Ones and Fives)

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Most everything was pretty dry inside but ammo boxes (cardboard) and the GSSF magazine I had picked up were kinda damp. The extra shirtr I had brought was damp as well. Keep in mind that it was raining pretty good and I was standing under a pine tree for most of the time. The range bag was subjected to quite a bit of rain.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Which range bag is it? I assume it was zipped up.

I've been looking at the Maxpedition bags, wonder how waterproof they are. VolGrad, something for you to research tomorrow....a waterproof mid sized range bag. :)

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a nice rain jacket from LAPolice Gear in the future and when I get it, I'll be able to just stand over my bag and be covered.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.