Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing a detail strip and clean of the slide on my G19 I got a patch stuck in the firing pin channel. I was able to get it out, but when I did out popped a plastic sleeve. When I saw it I knew it wasn't supposed to come out because all the times I've stripped down Glocks over the years I had never seen this part. Turns out it is part #35 - firing pin channel liner, and after realizing I couldn't just simply put it back in, I discovered it was also cracked. I had my Glock armorer order it for me direct from Glock along with all new springs for the slide since the gun was nearing the 5K round mark. That was six weeks ago tomorrow.

I realize this was completely my fault, and my Glock armorer reminded me I shouldn't take the slide down that far since I'm not a certified armorer (we all know you don't need to be certified to do a basic slide detail, it ain't rocket science). But 6 weeks is a long time to wait for a $2 part. Today was the first day of school and there was a chill in the air this morning. That means fall is right around the corner and that is G19 weather. Since I'm replacing all the springs I want to shoot the fire out of it before I carry it again just to make sure Perfection hasn't been disturbed. As the days get shorter so does my patience. Anyone have experience with ordering parts from Glock? If so, is this wait normal?

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The Brownells tool even comes with one liner!

I'm building a couple of Remington 870 "tactical' shotguns from old donor 870 Wingmasters. While detail stripping one of the receivers, the shell carrier spring popped loose. I had never experienced this.... But, a $30 tool from Midway, and the gun was back up and running in a few days.

I called a local "Remington certified repair shop" and they wanted $60 to do it. So, if anyone has this issue, let me know, I have the tool!

Maybe that's something we should look at offering to our members... A speciality tool exchange. If someone needs a sight pusher, for the cost of postage, one of us could "share" the tool, same with this "liner tool" etc.... Just a thought....

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
581 Posts
My sleeve came out once. I inspected it and pushed it back in. No cracks or issues, it's been shooting fine. Not trying to Hijack your thread. Should I be worried about anything?

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
For future reference, I have a found a way to remove and replace the Channel Liner without the Glock tool. Using a dry .38 cal or 9mm cotton bore swab (Hoppe's Pistol Bore Cleaning Mop 35 to 38 Cal 8 x 32 Thread Cotton) on a cleaning rod, insert the swab into the channel liner and twist as you withdraw it from the slide. You should be able to find the cotton swabs at your local sporting goods store.

To replace the Channel Liner, gently guide it into position using the bore swab and then hold it in place by using something like a dowel to push down on the top of the Channel Liner as you withdraw the swab. I would avoid using a sharp tool like a screwdriver for this action as it might damage the Channel Liner. A wooden dowel, or an un-sharpened wooden pencil should work.

Regarding Glock's ability to ship parts quickly, I have had not much success: my typical wait is four to six weeks. I have found that I am happier to pay extra cost for the ability to actually have the part in my hand in a few days, as opposed to waiting an indeterminate amount of time to have parts show up in multiple random shipments from Glock.

My favorite sources for quick shipping of Glock parts are Glockmeister, Lone Wolf Distributors, MidwayUSA, and Brownells. For small parts, these outlets will often ship via USPS, which saves quite a bit on shipping if you're doing this a lot (and I do...).

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
....Maybe that's something we should look at offering to our members... A speciality tool exchange. If someone needs a sight pusher, for the cost of postage, one of us could "share" the tool, same with this "liner tool" etc.... Just a thought....

Any thoughts?
Ed,

Interesting idea, and I think it's a fine idea if the lender has some level of comfort with the borrower through past contact. So, I can think of a group of maybe 20 or 30 members (more or less) that I would trust enough to loan tools. But if a person joins the Forum and a day later asks to borrow a $100 sight pusher, I don't know if I'd be willing to do that.

One way it might work is to set up a thread where Members could ask the Forum for the loan of a tool. If another Member wanted to lend the tool, they could respond to the post via PM. If nobody responds, then there isn't somebody who would trust the person requesting the loan, or there is simply no tool available. Is that workable?

Chris

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Ed,

Interesting idea, and I think it's a fine idea if the lender has some level of comfort with the borrower through past contact. So, I can think of a group of maybe 20 or 30 members (more or less) that I would trust enough to loan tools. But if a person joins the Forum and a day later asks to borrow a $100 sight pusher, I don't know if I'd be willing to do that.

One way it might work is to set up a thread where Members could ask the Forum for the loan of a tool. If another Member wanted to lend the tool, they could respond to the post via PM. If nobody responds, then there isn't somebody who would trust the person requesting the loan, or there is simply no tool available. Is that workable?

Chris
The idea is not "original" to me... There is another site that has a similar program and it always seemed like a way to "add value" to our members. I agree that "loaning" a $125 tool to a "stranger" is uncomfortable and unwise. Exactly how to start or run the program will need a little thought and discussion. When I think about it, in specifics to Glock, just how many specialized tools are there? Sight pusher, the afore mentioned sleeve tool (although you have a clever work around) and a front sight removal tool.... Other than that, a 3/32 punch is about all that's needed.

I had a funny experience once that was somewhat related. A forum member, no longer active, posted that they had purchased a set of night sights and wanted help re: installing them safely. I sent him a p.m. offering to push them on with my pusher... "just mail me your slide with the sights and I'll install them, and I'll mail your slide back at my expense". Well, he seemed to think I was trying to steal both his new sights and his slide! It always struck me as funny as the tool was of similar value as the slide and sights, but the other parties "perceived value" was very different.

My post was "just a thought" and if it can go somewhere, great. If not, well that's ok too.... Maybe an informal arrangement, by private messages is the right way to go...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally I was going to buy the tool and all the parts online and do it myself. But my armorer does the work for free (I have to pay for parts) since I am a member at this range and I buy virtually all my guns there. I thought I would just let him do it since he likely gets the parts cheaper and it wouldn't cost me anything in labor. It's only a 5 minute job. Still waiting. My 26 will serve me just fine in the mean time, but the 19 is my go to. Also I have a class next month I need it for. Patience was never my strong suit anyway.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
FWIW: To clean the firing pin channel, I dip a Q-tip in alcohol and clean the
channel and liner. After several thousand cleanings I have never had the
firing pin channel liner come out. _jb might agree with this. He gave me
the idea.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
My sleeve came out once. I inspected it and pushed it back in. No cracks or issues, it's been shooting fine. Not trying to Hijack your thread. Should I be worried about anything?
If I had a liner come out, I would install a new one. Seems like the liner sliding inside the slide would not be optimum or might lead to something in the future.

FWIW: To clean the firing pin channel, I dip a Q-tip in alcohol and clean the
channel and liner. After several thousand cleanings I have never had the
firing pin channel liner come out. _jb might agree with this. He gave me
the idea.:cool:
Still do that quite often... I have never had a liner come out either, but I have spares and the liner replacement tool from Brownells that I mentioned in a post above in case one does. Here's a link on replacing the liner with a bolt and a different tool.

I think that video is longer than the amount of time it takes to replace the liner... In any event, it shows another, possibly cheaper, way to swap out a Glock channel liner...

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally got the channel liner and replacement springs for my 19 today. Six + weeks for Glock to deliver the parts. Oh well, at least it's back together and ready to carry again.

·
Registered
581 Posts
For the record, I have ordered another liner. Should be here Thursday. Not taking a chance on having a failure. ( although it been shooting fine, never know what a failure may cost you.)

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Thumbs up !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts