Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I see a lot of Texans here as am I, but now living in MN for the past 15 years. Its a cool state
if you like outdoors, and i like all the seasons but 1 ;) Pretty excited to finally get a Glock 9mm
17gen5 as i have been shooting revolvers all my life (nickle-plated S&W 357 was a favorite) and
have no idea about semi-auto's. I cant wait to get out to a gun range and test it out! I appreciate
any and all advice and have already found tons of helpful information here.
solidarity, jim

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Welcome from one of those Texans! As much as I hate being cold, I keep thinking about a winter flight up there - the Northern Lights are pretty high up my bucket list.

I think you’re going to find a huge advantage over most semi-auto shooters. You’ll have to spend some time getting the different grip right but trigger control should be a breeze for you after revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums!

Lots of good info and people here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from one of those Texans! As much as I hate being cold, I keep thinking about a winter flight up there - the Northern Lights are pretty high up my bucket list.

I think you're going to find a huge advantage over most semi-auto shooters. You'll have to spend some time getting the different grip right but trigger control should be a breeze for you after revolvers.

thanks kind sir. i've only seen the Northern Lights once in 15 years camping in far north. you have to be way away from the city.
jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and thanks to all for the warm welcome! i know i will like this community ;)
jim

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Gaz

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
thanks kind sir. i've only seen the Northern Lights once in 15 years camping in far north. you have to be way away from the city.
jim
A couple years ago, I started watching for reports of solar flares and then this site would indicate where they could be seen https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast.

By the time I started figuring out the logistics to get up there though the storms had died down. The other logistic nightmare was figuring out where I could get that the skies would be clear as well.

Don't know if I'll ever get to see them but I sure hope so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple years ago, I started watching for reports of solar flares and then this site would indicate where they could be seen https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast.

By the time I started figuring out the logistics to get up there though the storms had died down. The other logistic nightmare was figuring out where I could get that the skies would be clear as well.

Don't know if I'll ever get to see them but I sure hope so.

I hope you do get to see them. I've seen them in Alaska as well and they are visible much more often there.
However, the most jaw-dropping natural event i've ever seen was the solar eclipse of 2017 (i traveled to Nebraska
for that). And FYI, there is one coming right through Texas on April 8, 2024 and the center line won't be 75 miles or
so from Big D ;) Of course, clouds sometimes screw it up but I am hoping to get down there to see it if i'm able...
ps. that is a cool site from U of A in Fairbanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts