Glock Pro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm just glad I don't prosecute in Georgia. In Ohio it is my burden to show the device was working properly and was a device that was using acceptable technology, then it is the burden of the defense to try to point out issues with its reliability in each case such as distances and such. If my officer testifies the radar is of the type approved and was calibrated properly, that he witnessed a visual estimation of speed, and that his radar confrimed that estimation, I can get a conviction. If the defense claims there wasn't enough distance to get a good readout, he can attempt to challenge it on his case in chief. Sounds like overlegislation to me.

Anyway, as for my opinion of this case, I agree with doing your own homework. Check for yourself if the cop was wrong. Then if you think so, take it to trial. I firmly believe we have a right to a trial no matter what. The burden of proof is on the State as it should be, and therefore we should hold the State to that burden. And you are right, cops make mistakes and we shouldn't blindly trust them. I personally would pay the ticket since I knew I was speeding, but I see nothing wrong with holding the State to their burden at trial.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.