Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 winters ago i dropped my glock 23 while ice fishing, yes right in the ice hole. 12 ft of water was a little much at the time to go diving for it since the ice was 3 ft thick. i didnt get a chance to go last summer due to finances and the fact that the lake is 250 miles away. does anyone know if it is worth retrieving? i think it is due to the fact i have over $800 invested in it. from what i see on the web it should still work. should i immediately take it to a gun smith if i find it?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
2 winters ago i dropped my glock 23 while ice fishing, yes right in the ice hole. 12 ft of water was a little much at the time to go diving for it since the ice was 3 ft thick. i didnt get a chance to go last summer due to finances and the fact that the lake is 250 miles away. does anyone know if it is worth retrieving? i think it is due to the fact i have over $800 invested in it. from what i see on the web it should still work. should i immediately take it to a gun smith if i find it?
Firstly, welcome to the forum. It would be fun just to try to find it and to see what kind of condition it is in. I would suspect a little rust and weathering. I would also think that every spring on the weapon will need to be replaced as well as a thorough complete tear down, clean and reassembly. I definitely would let a gunsmith take a look at immediately, but it would also be cool to see if it would shoot in it current state. I don't, can't and would not recommend doing so, but it would be interesting to see if it will function.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll keep this forum posted on any progress. if anyone has any insight as to what I might expect when I find my glock it would be helpful & much appreciated. as of right now I think I may have found a scuba diver equipped for the task.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If you find it (how cool would that be?), I would send it in to Glock with a note explaining the "history". They're very good at Smyrna and they just may fix it up for you for free... It's worth a phone call any way. You just might end up in a Glock ad!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Record video and documented the whole expedition. Is it a fresh water lake? How are you going to find it in the Lake...do you know exactly where you dropped it? DId you put a GPS location on where you were? its possible that the Glock over the last couple of years has moved because of under water current.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Find it first! YES, it's worth the trip and time. When you have it in hand it would be best if you got a bucket of the lake water and keep it in it until you decide on your course of action. As an Armorer I can tell you I doubt that it will take much to get it back in shape. I will also state an exemption to that last statement; a lot will depend on the ph and water make-up. If there is lots of salt runoff from roads or other toxins that aren't normally found in fresh water then you may be dealing with something else completely. One last thing, if you do find it only cycle it once to remove any ammo that might still be in the chamber and remove the rounds from the magazine. Replace the magazine and close the slide, do not pull the trigger, it's been in that state for two years leave it be and let the Armorer that gets it know everything. I as well think that Glock in Smyrna would be interested in the firearm should you recover it. Keep us informed and welcome to the Glock.Pro forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
record video and documented the whole expedition. Is it a fresh water lake? How are you going to find it in the lake...do you know exactly where you dropped it? Did you put a gps location on where you were? Its possible that the glock over the last couple of years has moved because of under water current.
fortunately enough i did mark the spot with an even bigger object & i know the exact structure of the area. There shouldn't be any current & the water is crystal clear .i could see the bottom at the time just couldn't see my glock . I am going to video the entire ordeal coming up .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Find it first! YES, it's worth the trip and time. When you have it in hand it would be best if you got a bucket of the lake water and keep it in it until you decide on your course of action. As an Armorer I can tell you I doubt that it will take much to get it back in shape. I will also state an exemption to that last statement; a lot will depend on the ph and water make-up. If there is lots of salt runoff from roads or other toxins that aren't normally found in fresh water then you may be dealing with something else completely. One last thing, if you do find it only cycle it once to remove any ammo that might still be in the chamber and remove the rounds from the magazine. Replace the magazine and close the slide, do not pull the trigger, it's been in that state for two years leave it be and let the Armorer that gets it know everything. I as well think that Glock in Smyrna would be interested in the firearm should you recover it. Keep us informed and welcome to the Glock.Pro forum.
thanks for the insight. I wasn't sure if I should soak it in wd40, gun oil, or let it sit in the same water till I get it to a gun smith. one good thing Is that it was not chambered, only has rounds in the clip . im hoping the water doesn't get to much salt run off. however it is in MN where we do salt the roads. good point .
Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Definitely keep us up to date. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it worked just fine once you get it out. But as said, lots of variables that can affect the integrity of the metals.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group... Interesting story, you should attempt to retrieve it and send it back to Glock! I am willing to be that they would recondition or replace for a minimal charge on your behalf :cool:
I'll keep this forum posted on any progress. if anyone has any insight as to what I might expect when I find my glock it would be helpful & much appreciated. as of right now I think I may have found a scuba diver equipped for the task.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group... Interesting story, you should attempt to retrieve it and send it back to Glock! I am willing to be that they would recondition or replace for a minimal charge on your behalf :cool:
+1 Glock should be very interested in seeing the gun. If it looks good, they might want to use it in some sort of advertising or testimonial. Why don't you call them once you have it in hand and see what they say?

Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
I like everyone's idea for glock, but I would have to pull the string out and try a round before I did that lol Great story though and I can't wait to hear more about it

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Fresh water lake and a light film of silt should have kept it in near the same condition as when you lost it I would think. I live in one of the most corrosive environments in the US, every morning the disk brake rotors on my truck have surface rust on them from sitting in the driveway overnight, if you had dropped it in the Gulf here I would just forget about it and get another one ... LOL

Do keep us updated on the recovery process.

Ot

·
Registered
221 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts