Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Glock 21 with a serial number in the mid 400's. My buddy is a Glock Tech and
when he called to see about upgrades the folks at Glock told him I should just leave it
as is and not shoot it as it was one of the first 500 Glock 21's ever made for the U.S.
market. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for all of the great responses. For those that asked the serial number is UB 464. That's it, no usa or anything else.
For those Corvette folks, I would love to have anything pre 1965 if I could afford it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I am certainly no expert, but I liken these things to cars....

Lets say I'm collecting Vettes. To have VIN number 400 and something.....doesn't really stand out UNLESS, I have that SAME VIN number in EVERY GENERATION Corvette. That might be desirable to a collector.

If I have VIN ONE.....yeah, I'll take it.

So, having serial number 400 and something is cool. But, collectable? IDK. It's not like it's the very first. They were in Europe for several years before here in the States.

Maybe a collector will chime in, hopefully I'm wrong and you have a million dollar weapon in your hand....

Add: also, if they were limited production say 450 of 500, that's another story. Glock mass produces to make/keep them affordable and a good value.... to a person who likes firearms, most any Glock is desireable.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I don't think it has much of a collector's value. If you're going to shoot it, there are some important upgrades. The most important upgrade would be the free breechcut and slide refinish, as well as new firing pin and a few other goodies.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Post the serial number 2- or 3-letter prefix and I can look it up for you, and possibly tell you the import date. Beyond that, I don't have any information on how many were made.

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it were my G21 I would leave it alone and get a newer version. Glocks are not that expensive to get new or used so you can put all the modifications you want. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If it were my G21 I would leave it alone and get a newer version. Glocks are not that expensive to get new or used so you can put all the modifications you want. Good luck.
I thought the same. "It's only original once" as we say in classic/vintage Vette world. A certain amount of patina is a good thing on a old thing-the less the better....

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I thought the same. "It's only original once" as we say in classic/vintage Vette world. A certain amount of patina is a good thing on a old thing-the less the better....
Tim, I know I'm probably the oldest guy on the forum, but when I was a teenager, the '62 vette was my dream car. I had a plastic model that I'd painted black, with a red interior. My oldest son recently saw a restored '62 with that same color scheme parked in front of a restaurant in Atlanta, and he sent me a pic. He told me he'd bought it on a whim! (Lie)

The value of "vintage" in cars isn't the same as "vintage" in Glocks. The value of the OP's G21 is probably around $300-$350. Just getting the free slide refinish is worth his sending it in to Smyrna, and, with upgrades and a refinished slide, the value would probably be more. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
That's what I thought also, leave it alone and get one you can change and shoot if you want, or I will
buy it from you and you can go get what you want.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Tim, I know I'm probably the oldest guy on the forum, but when I was a teenager, the '62 vette was my dream car. I had a plastic model that I'd painted black, with a red interior. My oldest son recently saw a restored '62 with that same color scheme parked in front of a restaurant in Atlanta, and he sent me a pic. He told me he'd bought it on a whim! (Lie)

The value of "vintage" in cars isn't the same as "vintage" in Glocks. The value of the OP's G21 is probably around $300-$350. Just getting the free slide refinish is worth his sending it in to Smyrna, and, with upgrades and a refinished slide, the value would probably be more. :D
I don't doubt the '62' was your fav. The '62' was the pinnacle of the that generation. The 61-62's and the '57-58's are the top sellers of generation one unless you "try" to buy a '53'......If you can find one for sale it will go anywhere from $100,000 to $250,000 PLUS for a original in EXCELLENT condition. For ANY Vette collector, the '53 is a must have to a really neat Vette collection and if you get one, your collection is in the top echelon of Vette collectors. That and a '67 (L88) (is top dollar-near seven figures) or 68-69 L88 (six figures) and ANY '63 Z06 coupe. Never mind the 63 Grand Sports, only five were built and the last one that went to auction the bidding stopped at 7 million and went private after the auction.

There were only (300) 53's ever built, all by hand.

They were not assembly line built (in St Louis) until the 54 model year.

Tim

Add: and thoses '53's, what adds to the value is that NOT ALL of still exist. It's estimated that only 150-160 still exist/accounted for....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the great responses. For those that asked the serial number is UB 464. That's it, no usa or anything else.
For those Corvette folks, I would love to have anything pre 1965 if I could afford it.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
UB-prefix serial numbered G21s were imported in 12/90, indeed the first batch of G21s to come into the US.

FWIW, if that was mine I would just shoot it normally, but I would not do anything to update it. Keeping it in original condition might maintain its value. If some part or feature wore to the point that it became unreliable, I would just park it in the safe.

Chris

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
UB-prefix serial numbered G21s were imported in 12/90, indeed the first batch of G21s to come into the US.

FWIW, if that was mine I would just shoot it normally, but I would not do anything to update it. Keeping it in original condition might maintain its value. If some part or feature wore to the point that it became unreliable, I would just park it in the safe.

Chris
I agree.

When I "first" saw and had my hand on a Glock, it was around 1982-83. I was assigned to Europe during this tme. There was NO .45 ACP-G21 then, at least that I remember. These were European side arms we were privledged to shoot at the range in Grafenwer, Germany.

The Europeans had adopted the 9mm where as our military ONLY stocked the colt 45 cal. This is why my brain is so fixed on .45 as well. The 9mm does do well. And, for NATO, it means we can share ammo for our side arms.

Glock built a 45 so it would appeal to the "old-school" Generals/Admirals of the United States. It was our special security forces who coaxed the Generals/Admirals (our Military leadership) to make available the Glock as their side arm. They (Delta Forces-Seals-Green Berets) later got a choice in their preferred side arm.

Tim

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I agree.

When I "first" saw and had my hand on a Glock, it was around 1982-83. I was assigned to Europe during this tme. There was NO .45 ACP-G21 then, at least that I remember. These were European side arms we were privledged to shoot at the range in Grafenwer, Germany.

The Europeans had adopted the 9mm where as our military ONLY stocked the colt 45 cal. This is why my brain is so fixed on .45 as well. The 9mm does do well. And, for NATO, it means we can share ammo for our side arms.

Glock built a 45 so it would appeal to the "old-school" Generals/Admirals of the United States. It was our special security forces who coaxed the Generals/Admirals (our Military leadership) to make available the Glock as their side arm. They (Delta Forces-Seals-Green Berets) later got a choice in their preferred side arm.

Tim
The 10mm G20, of course, came before the G21. I own both. The G21 is more fun to shoot...generally.

·
Registered
307 Posts
That is unique. You must have had that one for a while.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Personally, I don't consider any piece of injection molded plastic as "collectable", but to each his own. Some people collect baseball cards, beer cans, or company promotional ball caps and I've never really understood any of those either. Hell, I don't even understand stamp collecting.

·
Super Moderator
3,031 Posts
I think the Gen4 29 came out in 2013? I own a number of collectible Glocks but I don’t expect my Gen4 G29 will make that category, at least I don’t treat it like it will.

It is one of my all time favorite Glocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts