Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are night sights generally thought of as less accurate than the OEM Glock sights? Are night sights considered for self defense only? It seems like some of the sights, like the Heinie sights, are more oriented towards range or long distance shooting...

What do you guys use to push new sights in? Is the Glock tool the best?

I've seen several billet aluminum sight tools that look pretty snazzy... are they any better? What do you guys recommend?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I have never heard of night sights being less accurate than factory sights. In fact, I have put night sights on some guns and it has improved, never had a loss in accuracy issue with night sights either. As far as what duty the sights are made for, defense, target or tactical shooting, it really just all comes down to what you want to do with you gun. Heinie makes great sight sets, as well as Novak, Wilson Combat and so many many more it would take quite a while for me to name them all. On my G22, I have a set of either Trijicon or Meprolite night sights, which I use to shoot competition and they work just fine.

You can use a sight pusher for installing dovetail slotted sights, but pushers are expensive. If you are only doing a few guns, find a local shot thats reasonable on installation price. You can also install them yourself with a brass drift punch. If installing night sights yourself, and you are using a brass drift, make sure to go slow. If it gets too tight going in, take the sight out of the slide and trim it down a little. If you pound too hard or even hit it just right, the vial holding the tritium gas can crack and your new night sights will be useless in serving their purpose.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There are alot of sights out there, most any of them will work.

As far as sight pushers go they are worth it. it can be done with a soft punch or dowel and a hammer but the pushers are the way to go.

·
Registered
361 Posts
that's why you go to the range with the nite sites during the day, to find out if you really want to draw on a badguy at nite.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Sites are just like anything else. Its all in personal preference.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I prefer night sights. I am more accurate with them and so on. I currently have two different pushers that I use. One for Glock and a universal pusher for other brands that I work on for myself or other people. If you don't want to buy a pusher I could rent you one. PM me if interested

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never heard of night sights being less accurate than factory sights. In fact, I have put night sights on some guns and it has improved, never had a loss in accuracy issue with night sights either. As far as what duty the sights are made for, defense, target or tactical shooting, it really just all comes down to what you want to do with you gun. Heinie makes great sight sets, as well as Novak, Wilson Combat and so many many more it would take quite a while for me to name them all. On my G22, I have a set of either Trijicon or Meprolite night sights, which I use to shoot competition and they work just fine.
I was reading some reports on the Big Dot night sites... some people said they were less accurate because they were so big. Maybe that isn't true. I'm not planning to get them, so I guess it really doesn't matter.

You can use a sight pusher for installing dovetail slotted sights, but pushers are expensive. If you are only doing a few guns, find a local shot thats reasonable on installation price. You can also install them yourself with a brass drift punch. If installing night sights yourself, and you are using a brass drift, make sure to go slow. If it gets too tight going in, take the sight out of the slide and trim it down a little. If you pound too hard or even hit it just right, the vial holding the tritium gas can crack and your new night sights will be useless in serving their purpose.
I like having the right tool to do the job, and I like doing things myself.

I would either get the correct tools to install the night sights, or pay someone else to do it. I would never pound them in or out with a hammer.

I read the Glock Armorers Manual chapter on changing sights and it doesn't look too bad. The only problem seems to be that there is no stop or detent to locate the rear sight. It seems like you put it as close to the center of the barrel as possible and then test fire it. If you're a bit off to the right or left, you'd need to push the rear sight a bit to compensate for that. For that reason, it might be worthwhile to buy a sight pusher for myself.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive got the factory night sights on my G26. I prefer three dot over field goal and dot. I like that the night sights are metal whereas the normal sights are plastic. Its really what you prefer I think. what works for you.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I prefer night sights. I am more accurate with them and so on. I currently have two different pushers that I use. One for Glock and a universal pusher for other brands that I work on for myself or other people. If you don't want to buy a pusher I could rent you one. PM me if interested

Is this the sight pusher you use? This is the Glock sight pusher Trijicon sells to install their sights. I would think it would be perfect for installing Trijicon sights in a Glock.

It seems to me that I would want to have a sight pusher of my own to adjust the sights after installation. There doesn't seem to be any way to accurately locate the sight without test firing the pistol and adjusting the rear sight accordingly.

The Glock Armorers Manual shows a completely different sight pusher.

Pretty crazy...

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
You are on the right track there JB. Best to I stall your sights, then head to the range with your sight pusher for fine tunig. Be way to fire is while sitting down with your arms laid across a steady bench. Let your wrists hang past the edge about 2-3 inches.

You could also get a laser round. It's a small laser that you insert into the barrel chamber, ride the slide forward on the laser round, making sure its locked into battery. The laser shines straight down the barrel and you can simply align the sights to the dot. Bare in mind that it might still shoot a different point of aim/point of impact, so you will still need a little fine tuning though.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
some night sites can be hard to see in the daylight, like the three dot trijicons i used to have. if i were going to purchase another set of night sites, i would get these:

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts

Is this the sight pusher you use? This is the Glock sight pusher Trijicon sells to install their sights. I would think it would be perfect for installing Trijicon sights in a Glock.

It seems to me that I would want to have a sight pusher of my own to adjust the sights after installation. There doesn't seem to be any way to accurately locate the sight without test firing the pistol and adjusting the rear sight accordingly.

The Glock Armorers Manual shows a completely different sight pusher.

Pretty crazy...
Yes, the first one you have pictured is one of the two that I have and find easier to use.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The old pushers that Glock had where pretty good, then the guy who made them died and they went to the cheap plastic ones they have now. Don't waste your money.
I have a pusher made by Glockmeister, it works pretty good.

I have a set of the Ameriglo sights like the one above (on a 26) and I really like them.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are on the right track there JB. Best to I stall your sights, then head to the range with your sight pusher for fine tunig. Be way to fire is while sitting down with your arms laid across a steady bench. Let your wrists hang past the edge about 2-3 inches.

You could also get a laser round. It's a small laser that you insert into the barrel chamber, ride the slide forward on the laser round, making sure its locked into battery. The laser shines straight down the barrel and you can simply align the sights to the dot. Bare in mind that it might still shoot a different point of aim/point of impact, so you will still need a little fine tuning though.

How cool is that... I learn something new every day from you guys!

Good information, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
some night sites can be hard to see in the daylight, like the three dot trijicons i used to have. if i were going to purchase another set of night sites, i would get these:
That's the first that I've heard about the Trijicon sites being hard to see in the daytime. I'd like to see a set in person before I buy any...

The AmeriGlo sights are in my list of sights to look at... Surprising how many different brands of night sights there are...

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the first one you have pictured is one of the two that I have and find easier to use.
Thanks!

Do most of you get the all green dot sights? I notice that they have all green, or green and yelloy (rears), and green and orange (rears)... Is it an advantage to have a differently colored front sight?

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The old pushers that Glock had where pretty good, then the guy who made them died and they went to the cheap plastic ones they have now. Don't waste your money.
I have a pusher made by Glockmeister, it works pretty good.

I have a set of the Ameriglo sights like the one above (on a 26) and I really like them.
Thanks for the info...

What color are your AmeriGlo sights?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's the first that I've heard about the Trijicon sites being hard to see in the daytime. I'd like to see a set in person before I buy any...

The AmeriGlo sights are in my list of sights to look at... Surprising how many different brands of night sights there are...
I had a set of Trijicon Night Sites on my Kimber Pro TLE II and if they meant hard to see the green in the daytime they are right they look like white dot sights during the day but in pitch black they almost light the way LOL

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

yeah they have a small white outline outside the tritium viles that makes it hard to see and line up the three dots, especially at indoor ranges. i have a SA 1911 that has 3 dot tiji's with the same issue as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still thinking on the night sights... Do any of you use multi colored sights, or do most of you use green sights for the front and rear?

I can see some merit for using different color rear sights... It just seems like it would look funky to me...

1 - 20 of 135 Posts