Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glock says this voids your warranty but if you keep it reasonable and use plated or jacketed bullets then it is the same as what commercial ammunition companies use. Most of my Glocks see competition in USPSA or GSSF and I could not get in enough practice using only commercial ammo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've put at least 30,000 rounds of my reloads through three of my Glocks in the last several years without a problem. I only load Rainier plated FMJ bullets and all my loads duplicate factory velocity and go no hotter than that.

Close to half of those 30 K rounds were the dreaded .40 S&W and I haven't had a single case fail or even slightly bulge.

I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I do if I didn't reload.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've put at least 30,000 rounds of my reloads through three of my Glocks in the last several years without a problem. I only load Rainier plated FMJ bullets and all my loads duplicate factory velocity and go no hotter than that.

Close to half of those 30 K rounds were the dreaded .40 S&W and I haven't had a single case fail or even slightly bulge.

I couldn't afford to shoot as much as I do if I didn't reload.
From a newbie..... what about standard lead bullets. Is it OK to use them?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would stay away from them. I have shot lead thru one of my Glocks, but never more than 50 or so in one range session and even then I had a hell of a time cleaning the lead out of the barrel. If you put enough lead down the pipe you will eventually have a problem, possibly a dangerous one.

I'm sure someone, somewhere posted that they put thousands of rounds of lead through their factory Glock barrel without a problem. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'd recommend against it. IANAL, YMMV, proceed at your own risk.

The plated bullets work just fine. Although they're not as cheap as lead, they're considerably less expensive than fully jacketed bullets.

If you really want to shoot lead bullets in your Glock, save for an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling. You can put all the lead you want down those. I know several guys that are very pleased with KKM barrels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your timely response. That is what I thought as well so I'll just find a buyer for them and move on. Not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Gotta be careful with lead in a Glock or a HK

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
What is the difference between Full metal jacket and plated?
Jacketed uses a copper sheath that encases the lead core. Plated are lead cores which are electro plated like how chrome is applied to a bumper.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
I have shot a few thousand reloads through my 21SF and my 20 before I got rid of it. Never had a problem with any rounds. Lots of reloading experience too though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All the stuff about reloads is put out as lawyer-gabble to protect them against liability. It has nothing to do with the gun's ability to handle reloads. Glock ammo should probably not be loaded with lead bullets unless the gun is rigorously inspected and cleaned every few hundred rounds. There's plenty of anecdotal stuff on various forums about guys who do it- personally, I don't. If I did, I would also buy an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling, like a KKM or Lone Wolf. It's the rifling in Glocks and HKs that cause this problem.
I use plated bullets, which are a good compromise: no deposits in the barrel and cheaper than jacketed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot quality hardcast lead bullets in my Glock 21 all the time but I do keep the feet per second down to the low - medium side for practice loads. When I shoot IDPA, I swap out the Glock barrel for one designed to handle faster loads.

Good shooting,

Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,503 Posts
I have used lots of Ranier plated components with no problems ....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to hear. I'm going to start reloading the .40 cal soon and I had heard about the bulge issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.