Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you own a Glock knife? I'm considering getting one for a friend as a birthday gift and would appreciate any info you may have. Good, bad, ugly,etc.

·
Registered
551 Posts
They dont hold and edge as well as some of the bigger names Grayman, tops, rat ect but for the price theyre hard to beat

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like mine. I got it for being a range officer at a Glock match years back.

Peace

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just picked one up. I started a thread a little while back asking about it. Haven't put mine to the test yet though so I can't offer any experience. There are some great videos on YouTube tho demonstrating the use of it.

Sure looks nice sitting next to my Glock handgun though!

·
Registered
410 Posts
That's certainly a slick and functional set-up, Conquest.

FT.:cool:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've also read that they're not the best at staying sharp but still, you almost have to have one to go with your Glock handgun if you're any kind of Glock fan at all. I'd like to eventually get one just so I'll have it. Probably won't use it much but it'll make a nice addition to another Glock handgun when I get around to getting the funds to buy one.
Not to digress but Man, I miss my Glock G19 RTF2.:(

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
you almost have to have one to go with your Glock handgun if you're any kind of Glock fan at all
LOL, THAT is exactly the reasoning I used on my decision to buy one. It is in the safe with the other "toys" ......

·
Registered
68 Posts
And while you're at it may as well the the Glock E-Tool too. :D

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
That is on my wish list !

;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok I have to ask. I apologize for my naivete. I carry a tactical folding SpeedSafe knife with a very sharp 3.5 inch blade, 4 inches overall folded, attached to my car key (nothing else is attached). It's either in my pocket or in my hand or hanging from my car ignition during waking hours. Its purpose is nonlethal close quarters self-defense to slash the nerves in certain key areas to render them immediately useless (also gets the muscles and blood vessels, but bleeding out takes way too long). The primary key areas are the inside forearm (assailant cannot hold a weapon or anything else), the biceps and triceps (assailant cannot use that arm at all), and the quads (assailant cannot stand).

My intent is to use the knife if, say, a carjacker reached inside my car to grab me, or an assailant on the street grabbed my throat to strangle me, or any number of other close quarter attacks. I would be extremely hesitant to pull a gun in such circumstances as, close-up, guns are easily deflected and grabbed and taken from the person under attack. Knives on the other hand are stealthy and quick, the damage done before the assailant even knows about the knife.

All that explains my understanding and intended use of knives for self-defense. So now I have to ask. Glock knives do not fold, to my knowledge, and you can hardly carry a big knife with you everywhere all the time, so, what is the purpose of a long non-folding knife? Stuff other than self-defense?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think for most people it's a survival type thing, at least that's what mine are for, I don't carry a fixed blade knife in normal life but when I'm out hiking or camping I always have one. There are some amazing quality folding knives out there but in a survival sense where it's being used more as a tool then a weapon, then in my opinion there's no substitute for a fixed blade. At least that's my take on things. Which reminds me, I need to get back in the habit of daily carrying a folding knife!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Ok I have to ask. I apologize for my naivete. I carry a tactical folding SpeedSafe knife with a very sharp 3.5 inch blade, 4 inches overall folded, attached to my car key (nothing else is attached). It's either in my pocket or in my hand or hanging from my car ignition during waking hours. Its purpose is nonlethal close quarters self-defense to slash the nerves in certain key areas to render them immediately useless (also gets the muscles and blood vessels, but bleeding out takes way too long). The primary key areas are the inside forearm (assailant cannot hold a weapon or anything else), the biceps and triceps (assailant cannot use that arm at all), and the quads (assailant cannot stand).

My intent is to use the knife if, say, a carjacker reached inside my car to grab me, or an assailant on the street grabbed my throat to strangle me, or any number of other close quarter attacks. I would be extremely hesitant to pull a gun in such circumstances as, close-up, guns are easily deflected and grabbed and taken from the person under attack. Knives on the other hand are stealthy and quick, the damage done before the assailant even knows about the knife.

All that explains my understanding and intended use of knives for self-defense. So now I have to ask. Glock knives do not fold, to my knowledge, and you can hardly carry a big knife with you everywhere all the time, so, what is the purpose of a long non-folding knife? Stuff other than self-defense?
Am I missing something here; how exactly do you take care of an attacker from inside the car when your knife is on the key ring in your ignition especially with a seatbelt on?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Am I missing something here; how exactly do you take care of an attacker from inside the car when your knife is on the key ring in your ignition especially with a seatbelt on?
If a carjacker is reaching in and grabbing you, what is his intent? He wants you out of his way so he can steal your car. Undo your seatbelt, say you'll do anything, say you're getting out of his way, say here's the keys (even though he does not want them removed from the ignition, you're just too afraid to think straight from his point of view). After you remove the key from the ignition, open the knife one handed below his line of sight. As he pulls you out, slash his inside forearm with your knife (and maybe the other forearm as well, depending...). That hand is now completely useless, and he is likely shocked that his plan suddenly went so bad. Maybe you can drive away then, or, if not, you can likely draw your gun at that point. He has only one working hand. Not as much a threat as when he started out.

Another approach to that scenario that does not involve a weapon is, if there are no innocent people in your path and your car is still running, floor it. The carjacker can let go or be dragged.

But there is a huge problem with this scenario. You should have been aware of your surroundings, found the guy suspicious, and took evasive action before he got close to you. You're just fixing your screw-up at this point.

Whenever I read about crime, which is, like, all the time these days, I imagine what I would do under the reported circumstances. I used to carry a regular pocket knife, but when I ran this scenario through my head, I realized I would need to be able to open a knife one handed, so I bought a tactical speedsafe knife. I also thought about variations to the scenario - what if x was different, what would I do then?

I'll add I've learned a great deal from The Best Defense Scenarios though I don't think they had this scenario. They show common, everyday situations, like walking to your car in a parking lot in low light, first with a typical reaction from a typical person. Then they comment on it and run it again with a better reaction, and finally a third time with a still better handling of the situation. There are three Michaels who create these scenarios, oddly enough. Michael Janich is the knife expert, and has written an excellent book on the subject. He talks about not worrying about bleed-out areas - instead you want to instantly disable the assailant and that involves cutting key nerves. Really excellent stuff. In the Best Defense Scenarios, a gun is usually involved in the solution to the problem. Their single most important point is to be aware of your surroundings and take evasive action. Don't let the assailant get near you.

[video]http://www.downrange.tv/blog/down-range-videos/the-best-defense-scenarios/[/video]

I would really like it if lots of posters would view these videos and/or other armed self defense stuff, and we could discuss it here. My purpose for having a gun is self-defense against armed attackers. I learn all I can from all credible sources I can get my hands on. I was hoping to find more discussion of armed self defense here on this site. But mostly the talk here is about technical aspects of guns. Not so much my cup of tea. Oh well, just suggesting....

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Glock knives do not fold, to my knowledge, and you can hardly carry a big knife with you everywhere all the time, so, what is the purpose of a long non-folding knife? Stuff other than self-defense?
LOL, got one you did not think of ....

Typically these "types" of knives remind me of Rambo, I must admit that my reason for having one is the "cool' factor, and I ain't talking about Rambo cool either.

I am a hardcore Glock fan and have to have the knife up the cool factor !

(BTW : I edc a Gerber blunt nose multiplier that has two blades, flat & serrated, and both are razor sharp.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts