Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
You take a class taught by a representative of Glock Inc, pass a test, then get a certificate. I think the certification lasts 3 years, but I'm not sure, I've never done it. It gives you the ability to order parts directly from Glock, work on your own pistols under warranty, and of course work on other peoples' pistols under warranty.

If you're not law enforcement, you can take the class by joining the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation(GSSF), finding a class near you and signing up for it. GSSF membership was $35 last I heard and I think the Armorer Class costs like $150. It's an 8 hour 1-day course and you must bring your own eye and ear protection. I've heard that they provide lunch but I don't know if they do it for every class.

Here's an Acrobat Reader(PDF) document with some details: http://www.glocktraining.com/files/AC_Course.pdf

Here's a schedule of upcoming classes(NOTE: some are listed Law Enforcement only!): https://www.glocktraining.com/Schedule.aspx
(^^^If you're a GSSF member, upon registration under "Student" you'd select "Other-GSSF member")

If you're merely interested in learning how to detail strip, you can learn from videos on the internet for free or buy a $30 book. The only real benefits of becoming certified are the ability to buy parts directly from Glock, knowing what updates have been made to the design or particular parts, and being taught by someone who does it for a living.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You take a class taught by a representative of Glock Inc, pass a test, then get a certificate. I think the certification lasts 3 years, but I'm not sure, I've never done it. It gives you the ability to order parts directly from Glock, work on your own pistols under warranty, and of course work on other peoples' pistols under warranty.

If you're not law enforcement, you can take the class by joining the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation(GSSF), finding a class near you and signing up for it. GSSF membership was $35 last I heard and I think the Armorer Class costs like $150. It's an 8 hour 1-day course and you must bring your own eye and ear protection. I've heard that they provide lunch but I don't know if they do it for every class.

Here's an Acrobat Reader(PDF) document with some details: http://www.glocktraining.com/files/AC_Course.pdf

Here's a schedule of upcoming classes(NOTE: some are listed Law Enforcement only!): https://www.glocktraining.com/Schedule.aspx
(^^^If you're a GSSF member, upon registration under "Student" you'd select "Other-GSSF member")

If you're merely interested in learning how to detail strip, you can learn from videos on the internet for free or buy a $30 book. The only real benefits of becoming certified are the ability to buy parts directly from Glock, knowing what updates have been made to the design or particular parts, and being taught by someone who does it for a living.
Voyager, they do furnish lunch at the Armorer's Course. You do not need hearing protection, as there is no live fire. You do need eye protection, but prescription glasses meet that requirement for the class.

Great post.

·
None
1,525 Posts
The host of the course is provided with two slots in the class. The hosts also receives a budget to have the lunch catered. Both times that we have hosted the class, we fired up the Sheriff's Office grill and provided the lunch.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Good information, Voyager... Not much left to say...

Another advantage is the ability to buy two Glocks at the LEO price during your 3 year certification period.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Steve's Pages has the 2009 Glock Armorer Manual in PDF available..
Here's the link, save it to your favorites & then save the pdf once it loads to your hard drive..
http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm
Look down in the Gs.. Lots of other great hard to find FREE manuals here..
Be aware that there are a couple of pages missing from that PDF. Don't recall which one's but it's in the 50's. That site is down at the moment and
can't check.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Certificate Expiration

how do you folks with no Armorer's Certificate buy parts for your Glock and from whom? Buying from Glock is reasonable, because the prices are reasonable and the complete lineup of parts (well almost) are listed....

personally, i am a bit unhappy about the 3-year "expiration" dates for the Armorer Certificate; especially for GSSF members.
If you look at it, the Armorer Cources are all tuned for "professional" Glock users; ones employed by LE, First Responders, and other kinds of "professional glock smiths". Either the (most) Government pays their fees, or their gunsmithing business pays the Course fees. Us civilian GSSF folks who work on our own firearms, and those of friends and family (if asked) for free, can hardly afford to maintain a valid Glock Armorer Certifcate (at least i can't).

i know someonw who lives close by and took the course. The closest course was hosted in a city 250 miles away. He paid a hotel bill on the night before the course so he could be at the Course on time, plus the expenses associated with the traveling to and from ..... The benefit he accrued was the ability to get his parts from Glock at a very reasonable price; at least until his 3-year Certificate expired. Now he pays the retailers twice the price for every little part he might need, and the retailers laugh all the way to the bank... Yea I know, who else even thinks about giving you free parts? No -one that I know, so I guess maybe I ought to go to one Match per year to get my springs updated...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
how do you folks with no Armorer's Certificate buy parts for your Glock and from whom? Buying from Glock is reasonable, because the prices are reasonable and the complete lineup of parts (well almost) are listed....

personally, i am a bit unhappy about the 3-year "expiration" dates for the Armorer Certificate; especially for GSSF members.
If you look at it, the Armorer Cources are all tuned for "professional" Glock users; ones employed by LE, First Responders, and other kinds of "professional glock smiths". Either the (most) Government pays their fees, or their gunsmithing business pays the Course fees. Us civilian GSSF folks who work on our own firearms, and those of friends and family (if asked) for free, can hardly afford to maintain a valid Glock Armorer Certifcate (at least i can't).

i know someonw who lives close by and took the course. The closest course was hosted in a city 250 miles away. He paid a hotel bill on the night before the course so he could be at the Course on time, plus the expenses associated with the traveling to and from ..... The benefit he accrued was the ability to get his parts from Glock at a very reasonable price; at least until his 3-year Certificate expired. Now he pays the retailers twice the price for every little part he might need, and the retailers laugh all the way to the bank... Yea I know, who else even thinks about giving you free parts? No -one that I know, so I guess maybe I ought to go to one Match per year to get my springs updated...
You can buy just about any Glock part online from folks like Lonewolf Distributors. Might be less of a hassle than buying from Glock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally have never attended a Glock or Ruger armorers course that allowed civilian attendance. Fresh Glock parts catalogues and price lists are provided to attendees and many times the specialty tools provided to work on the classroom pistols are yours to keep.

Part of the reason, I would guess, that our courses were LEO only was due to the select-fire AC-556, G18, and also back then Ruger had a select-fire version of the Uzi.

·
Super Moderator
3,125 Posts
Just looked up the G18, it's a separate 1 day course only for armorer's with an agency that issues it.

The Advanced Armorer's course is open to GSSF members as long as the host facility hasn't limited it LEO. Even then, Glock had told me e-mail the facility directly and ask if I could come, I ended up deciding to stop by the factory this spring and take it there instead.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
now I remember reading that. I had enrolled last summer but had to cancel, cuz I couldn't take off work. I was very surprised they refunded all my money. They were very nice (@ Glock)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently attended the LEO Armorers course here in Nevada. It was $250. They do feed you lunch, and you get arm armorer's tool, armor slide cover plate, parts tray, work mat, parts catalog, armorer manual including slim line guns, pen, sticker, yada-yada.

I was able to find a class just 30 minutes away. It was fun. Class taught by Dennis Tueller of the Tueller Drill fame. You have to be LEO and/or LEO firearms instructor. I learned some things I did not know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts