Glock Pro Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Son's NEW Glock 34..about 1/2 of the time, slide back, loaded mag in...slide goes forward on it's 'own'. Google-foo shows this isn't uncommon BUt...his Glock 17/5, my G17, other son's G45..don't do this..

Just new or??

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
It's just the quality of engagement between the slide stop lever and the slide. On the 34 the jarring of a mag load is enough to disengage it. Some people want the gun to be that way and make an effort to wear the lever down so it will. If it bothers you, replace the slide stop lever. Given how the lever works, it's only a question of how much jarring of the gun will it take to cause it to release the slide on any Glock.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the idea of modifying the lever to try and make the slide release from the impact of the mag slamming home. There's no way to ensure the action is consistent so I think it's better to train to manually release the slide but it doesn't bother me if it does slam home from the mag. This does emphasize why it's so important to keep ones finger off the trigger and always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I've been studying this curious Glock phenomenon for several months now. Ideal conditions for this event to occur include, but may not be limited to:

(1) Inserting a full, or almost full, magazine into a Glock; and, especially, into a Glock that is 'nose heavy'. Random slide closure tends to occur less frequently when only partially loaded magazines are used.

(2) Inserting a magazine into the well, and then giving the gun a forceful whack, and simultaneously dropping the muzzle as the magazine slams home.

(3) Using a weakened slide stop spring.

(4) Years ago some of the people on Glock Talk used to file (or Dremel) a forward slant on the rear of their slide stops in order to increase the likelihood for this to happen.

Personally, I don't care whether a random slide release occurs, or not. What I do NOT specifically do, though, is to practice for this random (and/or partially induced) event to take place. If it does, fine; but if it does not, well, that's fine too.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well, I've been studying this curious Glock phenomenon for several months now. Ideal conditions for this event to occur include, but may not be limited to:

(1) Inserting a full, or almost full, magazine into a Glock; and, especially, into a Glock that is 'nose heavy'. Random slide closure tends to occur less frequently when only partially loaded magazines are used.

(2) Inserting a magazine into the well, and then giving the gun a forceful whack, and simultaneously dropping the muzzle as the magazine slams home.

(3) Using a weakened slide stop spring.

(4) Years ago some of the people on Glock Talk used to file (or Dremel) a forward slant on the rear of their slide stops in order to increase the likelihood for this to happen.

Personally, I don't care whether a random slide release occurs, or not. What I do NOT specifically do, though, is to practice for this random (and/or partially induced) event to take place. If it does, fine; but if it does not, well, that's fine too.
Good observation. Unfortunately, some people are too stupid to understand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good observation. Unfortunately, some people are too stupid to understand.
Understand pistolero fine and dandy..the 'rambo-esque' comment..that was just 'rambo-esque', but no surprise..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.