Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run about 200 rounds though my Glock 23. I'd cleaned it twice with no problems. Last time I cleaned it I couldn't get the slide to release so I smacked it a couple times with the heal of my hand and it slid off. When putting the slide back on I notice definite binding as the slide grips the last two rails at the heal of the weapon. I have run another 100 rounds with no issues. When cleaning the weapon the same issue is still there.
It has never been dropped or mishandled other than the spanking it needs to release the slide.
Suggestions on what the problem is?
I've read threads on other slide problems (i.e. pulling the trigger forward, pushing down the trigger safety pin etc.) none of them have worked on my issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I've run about 200 rounds though my Glock 23. I'd cleaned it twice with no problems. Last time I cleaned it I couldn't get the slide to release so I smacked it a couple times with the heal of my hand and it slid off. When putting the slide back on I notice definite binding as the slide grips the last two rails at the heal of the weapon. I have run another 100 rounds with no issues. When cleaning the weapon the same issue is still there.
It has never been dropped or mishandled other than the spanking it needs to release the slide.
Suggestions on what the problem is?
I've read threads on other slide problems (i.e. pulling the trigger forward, pushing down the trigger safety pin etc.) none of them have worked on my issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
1. Welcome Aboard!
2. Is there an empty magazine in the gun?
3. If you push in the firing pin safety (the silvery button in the bottom of the slide), does it move in and out freely?
4. Again, welcome aboard.

This will be a process of elimination, without seeing the gun it's often difficult to diagnose and fix a problem. But we will get there, and others with imaginations far better than mine will see this thread and chime in.

Did I say Welcome Aboard?

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I hope ya'll can help!
Empty magazine in or out makes no difference, same with firing pin safety pin pressed. It's the last 1/2" of the installation of the slide that it binds. Just as the slide is contacting the last 2 (I'll call them) rail guides at the far aft portion of the weapon.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Thanks, I hope ya'll can help!
Empty magazine in or out makes no difference, same with firing pin safety pin pressed. It's the last 1/2" of the installation of the slide that it binds. Just as the slide is contacting the last 2 (I'll call them) rail guides at the far aft portion of the weapon.
OK, there should be no magazine in the firearm at all, so that's ruled out.

Before you remove the slide, you should (actually, must) do this:

1. Remove the magazine, operate the slide to eject any round in the gun, and make SURE that the gun is empty.
2. Allow the slide to go forward into battery.
3. Pointing the pistol in a safe direction, pull the trigger.
4. Then remove the slide.

Put the slide back on and tell me if we've solved the problem.

If not, remove the slide again. When the slide is off, and with a toothbrush (an old one....) scrub the bottom surfaces of the slide. Then, I would take the bottom half of the gun, turn it upside down and shake it, and then go at with the the toothbrush.

What I'm suggesting here is a vigorous but superficial cleaning of the gun, looking for a foreign object of some sort to be the cause of the problem. I also have no other idea what it could be, so I'm trying to keep you busy, stalling for time, while somebody with a clue (not me, apparently) sees these posts and comes along with some useful information.

If it I had the gun in my hands and didn't manage to shake anything out, I would detail-strip the pistol and reassemble it carefully. We're not quite there yet, but how comfortable are you with doing that sort of thing? If you're very new to Glocks it might be a little challenging, but we have instructions and videos galore to help you along. It might come to that.

Hang in there, OK?

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris,
I scrubbed like a banshee and it's a no-go at this station. Still binding at the farthest aft pair of rail guides. Put some Rem-oil on also and didn't help.
If it comes to a detail strip, I'll give it the old college try:D

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Thanks Chris,
I scrubbed like a banshee and it's a no-go at this station. Still binding at the farthest aft pair of rail guides. Put some Rem-oil on also and didn't help.
If it comes to a detail strip, I'll give it the old college try:D
Let's wait to see what others have to say. Normally they start showing up at about 6-7PM Eastern Time, we have a bunch of folks in Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, here's a link for you to explore:http://www.glocktriggers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/GlockTriggers_Disassembly_Reassembly.pdf, just to get you used to the idea.

You will need one tool to disassemble the Glock: a 2.5mm / .10" straight punch. That's it. But wait until we hear from others, OK?

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll stay tuned. By the way I learned a quick lesson. If you take the little plastic doodad off the end of the slide so you can look in to see what's binding? A little spring goes ZING! and a pin falls out, DUH! I found them and put it back together. I'm guessing the white plastic tip on the spring goes towards the plastic end cap doodad?
No more experimenting for me!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
... I'm guessing the white plastic tip on the spring goes towards the plastic end cap doodad?
No more experimenting for me!
The answer is CORRECT! You just performed three steps of the detail strip.

Experimentation is OK, you won't hurt anything. Just keep the ammo in another room!

Chris

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
are you sure the return spring is properly seated, also rule number 27 "keep your thumb over the doodad when removing it to prevent spring blast off "

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
are you sure the return spring is properly seated, also rule number 27 "keep your thumb over the doodad when removing it to prevent spring blast off "
This man is a genius. When he says "the return spring is properly seated", he's talking about the Recoil Spring Assembly. You need to push the end of the Recoil Spring Assembly down into the semi-circular cut in the barrel.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Yes, the recoil spring is in the lower recess. Still binding on the last two rail guides (by the way, is that what they are called?)
Dang. Thought we had it. Remain Calm, help is on the way.
I hope.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
You might not be able to post pictures for a while, but it would be real nice to see a detailed photo of the top end of the gun with the slide removed. I'm wondering about the position of the connector.

Do you have a digital camera? If so, can you take a couple of photos? If you can't post them (yet), maybe you can send them to me by PM, and I can post them.

Just a thought.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
This is when/where the bind begins
Good photos, thanks.

So, the trigger is in the aft position, having been pulled and left there, when you put the slide back on, right?

I wonder if the connector is somehow hanging things up. In this photo, the connector is indicated by an arrow. Can you push it over to the left, out of the way of the slide, as you reassemble the gun? This shouldn't be necessary, but I'm quickly running out of ideas.

Hand Wood Finger Camera accessory Cable

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Moved the connector left, same problemo with the binding. I'll keep checking the posts, gotta get to grilling dinner.
Thanks for all of your help!
OK, hang in there, I have called for reinforcements!

Chris

1 - 20 of 49 Posts