Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I field stripped my G22 and then reassembled. When I placed the slide back on, it would not engage the trigger assemble and it slides to the back of the gun and stops. The slide is sitting down flat on the frame. Any ideas why the slide will not engage the trigger assembly?

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums...

Hard to tell what's wrong with your 22... I'd take the slide apart again and compare it to some pictures in one of the detail striping web sites or videos...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I field stripped my G22 and then reassembled. When I placed the slide back on, it would not engage the trigger assemble and it slides to the back of the gun and stops. The slide is sitting down flat on the frame. Any ideas why the slide will not engage the trigger assembly?
it's one of two things:

hold the trigger back manually, and pop the recoil spring back in the locking lug notch to get it to reassemble. if you google this issue, it's common with gen4's (although it doesn't afflict all of them). i encountered this myself at the local funshop :)

it's either that, or you need to simply hold the slide front downward, push in the safety plunger to let the striker more froward (leave it in that position), and slide it back on the frame.

one or the other will remedy your issue ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the same exact thing happen to mine last night. Removed the slide and it slipped back on no problemo, removed it again and it would not make it to the point where you hear the click of the slide stop engaging. Tried to get it on several times then moved the trigger slightly forward and it finally clicked on. Today however after many tries I cant replicate the problem? This is a brand new unfired gun FWIW. Is this considered "normal behaivour" for gen4's?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just had the same exact thing happen to mine last night. Removed the slide and it slipped back on no problemo, removed it again and it would not make it to the point where you hear the click of the slide stop engaging. Tried to get it on several times then moved the trigger slightly forward and it finally clicked on. Today however after many tries I cant replicate the problem? This is a brand new unfired gun FWIW. Is this considered "normal behaivour" for gen4's?
yes, but it generally diminishes after stripping a few times :)

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Funny you should mention "brand new unfired". Today, after completely disassembling a brand new unfired Gen4 G26, and stripping out and replacing ALL of the lubricant, I couldn't reassemble the gun: the slide would not go back on completely. This was making me sweat bullets out there in the garage, believe me. Here I am, with five Glocks in the safe, and I'm a trained Armorer, and now I've got a brand-new pistol that I can't reassemble? This is beginning to feel pretty dumb.

I repeated all of my steps a couple of times and then took it down to my dealer, who thankfully employs a guy who is a Glock Armorer (like me, only better, more experienced).

The Armorer confirmed that I had done everything correctly. Then, he put the slide from another G26 on my gun, and it worked (assembled correctly and functioned). Then he put my slide on another G26 frame, and it worked (ditto above). Hmm. Not making sense.

Remember that I mentioned that I had stripped all the lube off? That seems to have been the problem. Just putting the slide on a different frame, and a different slide on my frame, got enough lube from the other (donor) pistol to make it work. Once he got my slide working on another gun, he "racked" it about six times, then did the same thing with the other slide on my frame, muttering "just needed some wear". Then, we put my pistol back together with a small amount of grease on the bottom of the slide. Not too much, but enough to eliminate any friction.

Problemo solved.

I'm going to leave it assembled until after I take it out tomorrow and put about 100 rounds through it, that should put enough wear on the thing to make it behave.

So, the lesson learned? A brand-new unfired Glock is a little tighter than I had imagined. And Glock puts that funny copper-colored grease in there for a REASON.

When you're about to disassemble a brand new Glock, BEFORE you disassemble it take the magazine out and operate the slide and trigger by dry-firing it, say about 20 times. Then go ahead with whatever you were going to do with the pistol, but BEFORE you re-assemble it, be sure to leave the original break-in grease there, or put some grease on the slide bottom on any contact points (like the ramp) and the rails. That should help you avoid having this embarrassing problem.

Chris

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Funny you should mention "brand new unfired". Today, after completely disassembling a brand new unfired Gen4 G26, and stripping out and replacing ALL of the lubricant, I couldn't reassemble the gun: the slide would not go back on completely. This was making me sweat bullets out there in the garage, believe me. Here I am, with five Glocks in the safe, and I'm a trained Armorer, and now I've got a brand-new pistol that I can't reassemble? This is beginning to feel pretty dumb.

I repeated all of my steps a couple of times and then took it down to my dealer, who thankfully employs a guy who is a Glock Armorer (like me, only better, more experienced).

The Armorer confirmed that I had done everything correctly. Then, he put the slide from another G26 on my gun, and it worked (assembled correctly and functioned). Then he put my slide on another G26 frame, and it worked (ditto above). Hmm. Not making sense.

Remember that I mentioned that I had stripped all the lube off? That seems to have been the problem. Just putting the slide on a different frame, and a different slide on my frame, got enough lube from the other (donor) pistol to make it work. Once he got my slide working on another gun, he "racked" it about six times, then did the same thing with the other slide on my frame, muttering "just needed some wear". Then, we put my pistol back together with a small amount of grease on the bottom of the slide. Not too much, but enough to eliminate any friction.

Problemo solved.

I'm going to leave it assembled until after I take it out tomorrow and put about 100 rounds through it, that should put enough wear on the thing to make it behave.

So, the lesson learned? A brand-new unfired Glock is a little tighter than I had imagined. And Glock puts that funny copper-colored grease in there for a REASON.

When you're about to disassemble a brand new Glock, BEFORE you disassemble it take the magazine out and operate the slide and trigger by dry-firing it, say about 20 times. Then go ahead with whatever you were going to do with the pistol, but BEFORE you re-assemble it, be sure to leave the original break-in grease there, or put some grease on the slide bottom on any contact points (like the ramp) and the rails. That should help you avoid having this embarrassing problem.

Chris
it wasn't the lube, or lack there of. next time, push in the plunger safety to let striker move fully forward through the breech hole before putting the slide back on, my friend :)

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I like your new avatar Don.... How fitting!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Dooh!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
it wasn't the lube, or lack there of. next time, push in the plunger safety to let striker move fully forward through the breech hole before putting the slide back on, my friend :)
We did, that, honest. Your suggestion was the first thing that the other Armorer suggested on the phone. And it still wouldn't install until we put some lube on the thing.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.