Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Glocks with Compensators have always interested me. And could possibly be my next purchase. I am getting married in September and I have been asked to hold off on any gun buying expiditions until after the wedding. I respect that becuase in our 8 years together she has never once stopped me from hunting or buying any firearms. But thats beside the point and a story for another time.

Aaaanyway, the question I have is. With a comp. barrel and slide, while shooting(especially low light conditions) can and does the fire/blow back from the ports cause any issues with target reaquisition or does it blind you after shooting? and does it really manage recoil like they say it does? not that 45 isnt managable in the recoil department.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are a couple of threads from last year on the "C" models if you get a chance to dig around.

I have owned one or two in the past and honestly didn't have any issues during low/no light fire. Some folks will tell you it causes temp loss of vision, etc. but most of them are basing this only on having seen one shot in low/no light. For a third party viewing perspective the flash is pretty spectacular. Behind the sights it is negligible. I have read first hand accounts form many, many others (some that even had "C" models for duty use) and not one said it caused them issues. None.

As far as differences in felt recoil ..... I have only shot 9mm with "C" slides/barrels and couldn't really tell that much difference. On a 19 I didn't notice at all. On a 34 I could barely tell a difference. If you want one just to have it .... go for it. I wouldn't bank on it being much more than a novelty though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perfect! Thanks Volgrad. Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I do want it for novelty and just to shoot for fun. But If it was going to cause enough of an issue that I wouldnt wanna shoot it then I wont buy it. But I want it soley for that spectacular fire ball it apperantly has. Plus its a glock so I absolultly want it.

BTW I like your signature, I spend a hell of alot of dry firing in bed before I go to sleep, My future wife hates it. she says the click is annoying.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
BTW I like your signature, I spend a hell of alot of dry firing in bed before I go to sleep, My future wife hates it. she says the click is annoying.
Wait until you start using a shot timer (par time) for dry fire drills. She'll welcome the clicking sound. :)

I stole the sig line from a buddy of mine. He's a IDPA master shooter and has helped me improve a bit lately. This line really stuck in my head and I hope it resonates with others as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stole the sig line from a buddy of mine. He's a IDPA master shooter and has helped me improve a bit lately. This line really stuck in my head and I hope it resonates with others as well.
It will most deff. stick with me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Glocks with Compensators have always interested me. Aaaanyway, the question I have is. With a comp. barrel and slide, while shooting(especially low light conditions) can and does the fire/blow back from the ports cause any issues with target reaquisition or does it blind you after shooting? and does it really manage recoil like they say it does? not that 45 isnt managable in the recoil department.

Hi,

This is my Glock 21-C at the top shown with my standard Glock 21 below it. The fire out of the ports is a picture I found and kept on file. In my 21-C I haven't found much of a difference in recoil from the standard non ported model. As far as night shooting, it can cause flare ups like in the picture depending on the type of ammunition used.

I once shot some 230 Gr. FMJ Ball handloads with Unique powder and the flash was unbelievable at an indoor range. I wouldn't dare try carrying the pistol with that ammo in it. With that said some of the newer high performance, self defense ammunition on the market is loaded with low flash powder, and can be used in a Compensated model with no ill effects. In rapid fire the compensated barrel does offer some advantages, but for normal shooting and concealed carry I don't think there is much advantage to it. It does get the front of the gun filthy after a hundred rounds or so. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I had a 19c. I echo what Volgrad has already stated - I had no issues shooting it. I only bought it for the novelty of having a C model, and I sold it to fund a G17. I will porbably buy another one day. Who knows.

didn't notice much if any difference in recoil either.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
It does get the front of the gun filthy after a hundred rounds or so. Bill T.
This is very true. I actually had to toss out a fiber optic front sight after shooting a C model. Well, technically it was a std G34 (ported slide) but I had installed a ported LW bbl in it to see how much difference it made. During the first range session the fiber optic tube came loose and was total garbage. I just replaced the whole front sight and tossed the junk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is very true. I actually had to toss out a fiber optic front sight after shooting a C model. Well, technically it was a std G34 (ported slide) but I had installed a ported LW bbl in it to see how much difference it made. During the first range session the fiber optic tube came loose and was total garbage. I just replaced the whole front sight and tossed the junk.
Yah now I am having second thoughts on a 21-C. But then again I could just keep the stock plastic front sight and call it a day. But that would defeat the night shooting purpose. I wonder if tritium night sights would hold up better.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Remember, you shouldn't me shooting "in the dark". While I like, and use, night sights, you also need a handheld or weapon mounted (or both like me) light so you can see what you are shooting at!

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Remember, you shouldn't me shooting "in the dark". While I like, and use, night sights, you also need a handheld or weapon mounted (or both like me) light so you can see what you are shooting at!
I'm pretty sure he just wants to shoot some targets in low light to see the flames...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts