Glock Pro Forums banner

Gen3 G34 Project: Part 1

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  __jb 
#1 · (Edited)
This season I've been shooting a Gen4 G34 in USPSA Production Division, and although my results are nothing to brag about the gun is working very well indeed. Production Division has some clear rules about what you may and may not do to the gun, and this structure conflicts with the tinkerer lurking within me.

If I had a gun for the Limited Division, I would be free of many of the Production rules, allowing me to run magazine extensions, add a lot of weight to the gun, basically to do about anything short of running a red dot sight. So, I decided to build a Limited gun, using the Glock G34 as the platform. Sure, using a G35 would offer an advantage because of the points scoring advantage for Major Power Factor, but I've got 9mm reloading all dialed in, with a bunch of ammunition and components on hand. My goal is to build a very accurate 9mm Limited gun, to see how well I can do with it.

With a couple of GSSF Pistol Purchase coupons in my pocket, I've been looking for another G34. The trouble is that they are very hard to find where I live, there's more demand than supply most of the time.

What to do?

Well, make one up from parts, of course.

As it turns out, the friendly folks at Glockmeister sell Glock frames, although they only get batches in once and a while. I got lucky and was able to purchase a complete frame for a Gen3 9mm Glock to form the basis of the gun. The frame bears the serial number and is the one part of a Glock for which sales are regulated. As required by law, Glockmeister shipped the frame to my FFL dealer, where I completed the background check before delivery, just like a complete firearm.

For the top end I chose a Lone Wolf bare Gen3 G34 slide and barrel, both of which are blind-marked (no "Wolf" logo) and finished in black oxide, which Lone Wolf claims is the same used on original Glock pistols prior to 2003 (I take this to mean tenifer). The stainless steel Lone Wolf slide has a lowered ejection port, something I've been curious about, and their barrel has traditional broached rifling with a "target crown", which may have an effect on velocity and accuracy.

The bare slide will be fitted with some of my stock of parts, including a standard Firing Pin, Firing Pin Spring, Firing Pin Safety, a Wolff reduced power Firing Pin Safety Spring, and a Glock Extractor that I have polished top and bottom. Glock Standard Spacer Sleeve, Channel Liner, Extractor Depressor Plunger assembly and Spring Cups will be used as well.

I'll use the proven combination of a Dawson adjustable rear sight with a Dawson fiber-optic front sight. I've found that using a heavy and slow bullet (147-grain at about 883fps) gives me such a high point of impact that I need a .300" tall front sight and an adjustable rear to get the sights dialed in to the load.

Inside the frame, I'm using a standard Gen3 9mm Trigger and Trigger Bar (P/N 357), a Glocktriggers connector, a standard Trigger Spring, standard Magazine Catch, Extended Slide Stop Lever, and a nice polishing job. I have replaced the original Ejector with the new 9mm part marked 30274.

Adding weight to the gun is one way to gain accuracy for multiple shots, because weight adds inertia to dampen recoil, making it easier to handle. Combine the added weight with my very light 9mm load, and it should feel like a .380.

The added weight comes mainly from two components: a Dawson ICE heavy magwell, and a heavy extended steel guide rod from Jager. The Dawson magwell is made of brass, and it's installed with a heavy brass plug that fits into the recess in the frame, adding a full 5 ounces to the gun. The heavy guide rod will be fitted with an 11- or 12-pound recoil spring.

I get a little more weight by using Dawson Tool-Less HiCap Extended Basepads, taking the standard 17-round G34 magazine up to 22 rounds. These gadgets cost $32.49 each, but I figure I'll only need two of them, which will get me down to one magazine change per stage, at least at the local matches I attend.

This post is entitled "Gen3 G34 Project: Part 1" because the slide and barrel haven't arrived yet, and aren't expected until about mid-August. Lone Wolf only does the black oxide coating in monthly batches, and it looks like my order just missed the July run.

Once all of the parts are here I will post photos of the finished gun along with weight and trigger pull information, and then there will be a follow-on comparison test of the Glock and Lone Wolf barrels.

Chris

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool project.... I look forward to following your progress. Thanks for sharing.

#4 ·
Darned if I know, that's one reason I got the slide. It does sound cool, though, and it's something that's very common with 1911s. Must be good, right? (is making joke....)

I'm planning a pretty thorough comparison of the slide and barrel, including some chronograph and group comparison for the barrel, and some observations (at least) on ejection pattern for the slide.

Chris

#5 ·
I believe that the lowered ejection port assures that the brass clears the gun with no chance of it hitting/catching on the slide and causing a next round loading issue.

#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
There is a thread on Brian Enos' forum about lowered ejection ports.
The gist of it was that is "necessary" when using some dot sights to
insure proper ejection. Below is the link:
How much lowering ejection port for Open Glock - Glock - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
That makes sense, thanks a lot for passing that link along. There are C-More mounts that place the sight close to the middle of the slide, so I can imagine that ejecting cases might hit that type mount.

The problem I've had with a rear-mounted red-dot sight on a G35 (used in USPSA Open Division) is that the ejecting brass hits the front of the sight itself. As you can see in this photo, there are brass marks and paint chips all around the front edge of the sight around the glass, although the glass itself hasn't been damaged.

Digital camera Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Camera

I just consider this a nuisance.

When the Lone Wolf slide does arrive I will post some detailed photos, comparing that slide with the one on my G35, since they are both Gen3 slides. I don't have the mix of guns I would need to do any side-by-side comparisons of the slides in action, and doing that would be pretty subjective anyway.

Chris

#9 ·
Sounds like a good plan to me! One of out best Limited shooters shoots Limited Minor... He is fast as lightning and very accurate... Seems like he shoots forever on one magazine...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.