Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can anyone post a side view picture of the top of their recoil springs or tell me if there is a washer between the end black piece an the big spring. My spring seems to be a defect and someone told me that idly is missing a washer. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
There is not a "washer" per se... On the gen 4 G17 that I own, the "01" or unmarked and "02" recoil springs were nearly flush with the slide. The latest spring "02-1" is recessed more on the slide end... Sorry, at work so no pics. What model gen 4 do you have? What spring do you have?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I don't know whether it's "defective" but there is an updated spring for the G19, an "04".... The issue with the "03" and "04" springs mainly deals with FTE and FTF based on too strong a recoil spring for "low power" ammo. The "04" spring is lighter and works better with lower rated ammo.

On my G17 (I can't speak for the 19's, I don't have one) the latest spring has the "washer" as you call it, and that improved the 17's tendency for the recoil spring to "unseat" from the slide making it difficult to field strip the G17 as the recoil spring became mis-aligned. I hope this helps you....

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I don't know whether it's "defective" but there is an updated spring for the G19, an "04".... The issue with the "03" and "04" springs mainly deals with FTE and FTF based on too strong a recoil spring for "low power" ammo. The "04" spring is lighter and works better with lower rated ammo.

On my G17 (I can't speak for the 19's, I don't have one) the latest spring has the "washer" as you call it, and that improved the 17's tendency for the recoil spring to "unseat" from the slide making it difficult to field strip the G17 as the recoil spring became mis-aligned. I hope this helps you....
The G19/4 has a beveled slide where the RSA fits in... at least mine does. If you have the beveled slide, you don't get/need the RSA with the washer...

As I understand it, newer G17/4's will have the beveled slide like the G19/4...

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Hey guys can anyone post a side view picture of the top of their recoil springs or tell me if there is a washer between the end black piece an the big spring. My spring seems to be a defect and someone told me that idly is missing a washer. Thanks!
In this photo are three RSAs for a Gen4 G17:

Left: the one that originally came with the gun, unmarked on the back.

Middle: an aftermarket assembly.

Right: the new RSA, marked "0 2 1" on the back, that solved the feeding problems I encountered. As well as having (maybe) some changes in the spring rates, it has a big improvement in the front, where the RSA fits into the front of the slide. There's a cup sitting on the spring now. This part was sent to me free of charge by Glock when I explained the problems I was having with the Gen4 G17. It solved the problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
The newest guide rod for the Gen4 G17 has a washer at the muzzle end of it.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/glock gen 4 021 spring/zoti/bde63726.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/glock gen 4 021 spring/slickville/021spring.jpg

The reason is that the early Gen4 slides had a hole for the guide rod with no counter-bore for the end of the spring, so the end of the guide rod could pinch the hole in the slide between itself and the spring. The guide rod with the washer at the end has only been made for the Gen4 G17/G34 at the moment and it's also marked "021" as shown in the picture. The "02" guide rod uses the same springs, just no washer.

Only early Gen4 G17, G22, and G31 slides lack the counter-bore and beveling. The latest Gen4 slides, and all Gen4 G19 and G23 slides have a counter-bore for the spring and a bevel on the outside of that hole so that the end of the guide rod and the spring cannot pinch the hole in the slide.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Voyager4520; I don't recall seeing such a concise summary of the situation with the new slides, nor have I ever seen the information on the early Gen4's lacking the counter-bore and beveling (mine is one of those). Thanks very much for the clear and useful information.

Chris

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You need an "04" spring. Call Glock, they'll send it to you, for free!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.