Glock Pro Forums banner

Gen-4 23 ((Increasing)) The Trigger pull via NY-Trigger Spring

18K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  __jb 
#1 ·
Ok, so after doing quite a few searches either I am not looking in the right places or I really am the only person in history who actually "wants" to make my Gen-4 23 have a heavier pull...

I was given some suggestions in an intro post about the NY 1 and NY 2 Trigger springs.. So I went ahead and ordered them and they will be here on Friday.. My concern however is this: before I ordered them I should have asked if I can use them in a Gen 4 Fire Control? More over, do I need to replace anything else? My case says 5.5lb so I assume that means the system is the 5 pound trigger but I really would like to firm it up for Concealed carry purpose and it "sounds" like a NY trigger spring is EXACTLY what I need. I just want to know if I am going to run into any trouble with the 8lb or 12lb spring depending on which one I like the feel of.. Again this is all hinging on whether or not I can even use the spring in the Gen 4...

Thank you in advance for any help with this matter!

44Mag

:confused::confused:

#2 ·
You are the first person I have personally known to increase the trigger weight. 99.9% of people leave it stock or decrease the weight. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with information for you.

#4 ·
#8 ·
I'm sorry, I either didn't completely read, or misread your initial post.... I think you'll find the installation to be very easy and straight forward. There are ways to further "alter" the trigger pull weight using different connectors with the NY1 or NY2 trigger spring assemblies.

Here's a link to a discussion from another forum discussing this set-up at length.

Glock's NY1 trigger..

Let us know what think about yours when you've tried it.

#7 ·
Excellent, Thank you all for the info.. It seems like actually changing the part is a few minutes tops depending on how much of a monkey loving a football the OEM spring wants to be getting off the block itself.. Once I get that part off its really just a straight forward drop in and reassemble. Then hit the range and see how I like it.. Guess tomorrow will be the "judgment day" since the 2 different springs are coming in from UPS.. I will keep ya posted though!

#9 · (Edited)
44Mag, be sure to save the OEM spring, just in case you don't like the pull!
The NY 1 trigger spring with a 5.5 connector will give you a 9 lb. trigger pull,
and the NY 2 spring will give you an 11 lb. pull. You can get an 8 lb. pull by using
the standard OEM spring and a 8 lb. (+) connector. You should never use and 8 lb.
connector and any NY trigger spring.

#11 · (Edited)
Ok, so after doing quite a few searches either I am not looking in the right places or I really am the only person in history who actually "wants" to make my Gen-4 23 have a heavier pull...

I was given some suggestions in an intro post about the NY 1 and NY 2 Trigger springs.. So I went ahead and ordered them and they will be here on Friday.. My concern however is this: before I ordered them I should have asked if I can use them in a Gen 4 Fire Control? More over, do I need to replace anything else? My case says 5.5lb so I assume that means the system is the 5 pound trigger but I really would like to firm it up for Concealed carry purpose and it "sounds" like a NY trigger spring is EXACTLY what I need. I just want to know if I am going to run into any trouble with the 8lb or 12lb spring depending on which one I like the feel of.. Again this is all hinging on whether or not I can even use the spring in the Gen 4...
The GEN4 Armorer's Manual Attachment Sheet does not mention the NY triggers, so I think it is safe to assume that the springs you have ordered will work in a Gen4 G23.

As Rowdie correctly noted, the connector that's in your gun can also be a factor in the trigger pull, especially when combined with the "+" connector. Be careful. The use of the NY springs was mentioned in the Armorer's course, but since I never see LEO guns I have no direct experience with these springs. I do recall the instructor telling us that the reason for the introduction of the NY trigger springs was to increase the trigger pull to approximate that of a double-action revolver.

The Moderator __jb asked if you had fired the gun as it came out of the box, and that's a good question. Since the box was marked "5.5 lb" I believe that means it has a 5.5lb connector. The trigger pull weight is likely to be between 5.5 and 6.5 pounds, but will soften up a little as it is broken in and the finish on the metal parts that touch each other is burnished. For carry purposes, I think that a Glock is about right as it comes out of the box, but of course personal preference needs to be considered.

Quoting the Glock Armorer's Manual:

"If using the NY1 (olive green) or NY2 (orange) trigger spring: insert the spring down inside the trigger mechanism housing and ensure that it is oriented correctly. Ensure that the catch on the lower end of the NY Trigger Spring snaps into the slot at the rear of the trigger housing."

There is a curve at the rear of the trigger that should fit into the curve of the trigger mechanism housing. Once you have removed the original trigger spring, you should not have any trouble installing the NY spring(s).

Your reason for wanting to increase the trigger pull weight was not explained, that is your business. I think you are seeing some questions from the forum about your plans because the Glock has quite a long trigger pull, and with the three safeties (trigger, firing pin, and drop) all working, the gun is quite safe. I am not at all sure that making the trigger pull heavier will make the pistol any more safe, but this is a free country, and that question is up to you to answer to your satisfaction.

Chris

#12 ·
I do recall the instructor telling us that the reason for the introduction of the NY trigger springs was to increase the trigger pull to approximate that of a double-action revolver.
This is how I understood the creation of these connectors as well, and since it's been a long time since LEOs switched from revolvers to semi-autos, it's not something that is discussed frequently. Not that that makes it any less valid if a person wants to put one in their firearm.

Great points by all. Thanks for the participation in the discussion.

#13 ·
And all this time I thought the NYT job was Birdbombs idea to keep them from getting sued .....

#14 ·
Thank you all for the info and replies.. I do realize that it is a bit odd to increase the pull rather then decrease it however, my first firearm was a revolver and for some reason I have just always been more comfortable with a firm trigger.. I fired the GEN4 23 at my local range which they had for rental and found it to be a little lighter then I prefer... I also used "snap-caps" in mine and agreed that it was a bit light.. I will see when they arrive tomorrow how I feel about the firmer pull from the 8lb and then go from there..

Again, I do appreciate the concern about making it heavier, I know this is a slightly odd request but then again I never claim to be "normal".. LOL ;)

#15 ·
No worries... you come across as reasonable and responsible. Hey, it's your gun, go for it! The NY trigger spring and the "." connector has been written up in a bunch of places as being an excellent combination. The original "idea" of the NY trigger spring was to transition double action revolver shooters to the Glock trigger.

Just post pics and your impressions when you get it!

#16 ·
** Update !! **

Just installed the NY1 Trigger spring!! I am in love!!! It was a 5 min install and it is a WORLD of difference!! The feel is quite literally **EXACTLY** what I was looking for!! I also picked up a set of Trijicon Night Sights, though I had them installed by an Armorer cause I don't have a sight press so I figured better to leave that job to someone with the right tools.. Either way though I am Completely happy with the feel of this trigger now! My wife is too, she thinks it feels perfect and can't wait to get to the range to try this one!! :D

Thank you to everyone for the help and suggestions!! Worked like a charm!

Wood Tool Artifact Metal Font
Jewellery Metal Art Auto part Wood
Finger Trigger Thumb Gun accessory Nail
Revolver Trigger Air gun Automotive exterior Office equipment

#18 · (Edited)
I agree with _jb. After you shoot the gun you will find out that the short pull through the safteys, then the stop point that lets you know its ready to fire, then the quick snap for the discharge, its very nice the way it is.

At one time I was afraid of an auto-loader for CCW. After lots of draw and dry fire practice, then some range time I wouldn't have mine any other way. No trigger mods at all its great the way Glock made it from the factory!

Edit,,,,,

I must have skipped a page before entering my reply. I didn't see your install reply. Congrats all that matters is your happy!

#19 ·
Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for posting the pics.

#22 ·
**RESULTS FROM THE RANGE**

A friend of mine and I went to the local shooting range on Friday and I wanted to break in my new "precious".. Seeing as it would be the first time I shot it and all.. With all the modifications I was a bit curious to see how I would like it. As it turns out...... I LOVE IT!!!

Not only am I far more accurate with this pistol then I ever was with my Taurus, but the recoil on it is much lighter then I had anticipated... I suppose that is due mostly to the 2-pc guide-rod, though the Pachmayr Tactical Grip Glove that I put on before I went to shoot also really helped.. One of my hang-ups on my brothers Gen-3 (23) was I sometimes felt like the gun was going to lift out of my hand during double-taps to COM with the follow to head. This is not the case at all with the Gen-4! I am very pleased with the "felt" recoil and the feel of the trigger... I am able to engage the first stage of the trigger on the ready, draw to the target and fire smoothly with a follow up shot and almost no Up-creep.. My grouping at 20' was very tight and consistent...

All in all, I am very pleased with my choice to get this weapon!! Many thanks again to all for the suggestions you gave!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.