Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a little bit of a Glock collection.

Gen-1 17 CTxxx serial. This one has the box with the 17 individual bullet holders. Bought last year for $425.00
Gen-1 17 DKxxx serial. Bought in 1988 for $325.00
Gen-2 17 Issued to me by the FD and given to me at my retirement.
Gen-3 17
Gen-4 17

Gen-2 19 DPxxx serial. This one was lacking some markings on the barrel. Only has the pentagon and Glock logo on the barrel hood. Called Glock and asked why. When I gave them the serial number they said that it was one of the first batch of 3000 Glock 19's ever made. They had no record of the barrel being replaced.

·
Registered
144 Posts
a Glock 19 first gen sold here in Alabama for $50k, blew my mind. From my research there are only 12 in the US.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
My 17 has all the same markings except, you have CTT, where mine sports the NTD cartouche.

I am real glad to see there are more owners of the first production run than I though.

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 17 has all the same markings except, you have CTT, where mine sports the NTD cartouche.

I am real glad to see there are more owners of the first production run than I though.

:cool:
Would love to know more about the details of mine. Suggestions on where to look?

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Would love to know more about the details of mine. Suggestions on where to look?
Well, for starters, the book says that it was imported in October 1988. You might call Glock customer service and see what else they can tell you.

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, for starters, the book says that it was imported in October 1988. You might call Glock customer service and see what else they can tell you.

Chris
Thanks. I'll give them a call this week and see what they say.
I also have a Gen 3 G23, Gen 4 G26, and a new G42.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
There are several post somewhere that identifies the different markings, sorry, I do not have time to look them up now, do a search, there is all the info you seek in those post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are several post somewhere that identifies the different markings, sorry, I do not have time to look them up now, do a search, there is all the info you seek in those post.
Thanks. In just a couple of clicks I found tons of info. Fun stuff!

While I have other guns, my Glocks are my favorite, especially the 17.

20140411_182024.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
..While I have other guns, my Glocks are my favorite, especially the 17....
I agree, that G17 is a keeper!

I noticed that you have the old-style plastic box, the one where the trigger guard fits over a post in the box. Those are, in a word, dangerous. There are cases where loaded Glocks stored in those boxes have discharged when the box is dropped. I'm not making this up, they told us about it in Armorer's class.

Glock would probably happily take it back and give you a new box. While I realize that you probably want to keep that box for its collector's value, please don't store the gun in that box, especially if it is loaded.

If you want a new Glock pistol case, they're $25 from Glockmeister: GLOCK Pistol Case-www.glockmeister.com

Chris

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It looks to me like the gun can't go in that box while the trigger is in the forward position.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
It looks to me like the gun can't go in that box while the trigger is in the forward position.
That's what I was thinking, but apparently it's possible. They made the point pretty forcefully in the class about these boxes. There may have been an earlier version without the "wings" on the post, and of course you can shave the "wings" off easily.

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts

I noticed that you have the old-style plastic box, the one where the trigger guard fits over a post in the box. Those are, in a word, dangerous. There are cases where loaded Glocks stored in those boxes have discharged when the box is dropped. I'm not making this up, they told us about it in Armorer's class.

Glock would probably happily take it back and give you a new box. While I realize that you probably want to keep that box for its collector's value, please don't store the gun in that box, especially if it is loaded.

If you want a new Glock pistol case, they're $25 from Glockmeister: GLOCK Pistol Case-www.glockmeister.com

Chris
Yes, I had heard that from a shooting buddy who covets my 17. He said there are documented cases of negligent discharge with that early case. Easy to see that happening.

That being said, I dont store it in that case. I use another case in my range bag which is in my safe.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Yes, I had heard that from a shooting buddy who covets my 17. He said there are documented cases of negligent discharge with that early case. Easy to see that happening.

That being said, I dont store it in that case. I use another case in my range bag which is in my safe.
Thanks, I (we) worry about that sort of thing! I'm glad to hear you're storing it safely.

So, I've got to ask, have you compared shooting the Gen1 with a Gen4 G17? I'm curious about any difference in the function, even the "feel" of the guns side-by-side. Not that I'll ever have a chance to find out myself, but I'm curious how much the generational changes really affect the usefulness of the gun.

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, I (we) worry about that sort of thing! I'm glad to hear you're storing it safely.

So, I've got to ask, have you compared shooting the Gen1 with a Gen4 G17? I'm curious about any difference in the function, even the "feel" of the guns side-by-side. Not that I'll ever have a chance to find out myself, but I'm curious how much the generational changes really affect the usefulness of the gun.

Chris
Chris,
To answer your question, no I havent compared the Gen 1 to the Gen 4. However, as a result of this thread, I'm thinking that would be an interesting comparison. There is a gunshop/range about 30 miles from me where I can rent a Gen 4 and do some "side by side" comparison. I'll try and do that in the next few weeks and report back.
Sweck

·
Registered
569 Posts
The CTT on your barrel is a date code that Glock put on early model Glocks. Yours is October 1988.

·
Registered
569 Posts

Chris
That feature was meant to keep the trigger to the rear during storage. After a couple of dummies tried to put chamber loaded Glocks in the boxes, it lead to the "idiot stickers" that were put in the bottom of the boxes. It was an orange sticker that told users to not store a loaded pistol in the box.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That feature was meant to keep the trigger to the rear during storage. After a couple of dummies tried to put chamber loaded Glocks in the boxes, it lead to the "idiot stickers" that were put in the bottom of the boxes. It was an orange sticker that told users to not store a loaded pistol in the box.
Thanks for sharing that.
Sweck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Every gun I've ever bought through GB had to go through the same legal process as any other out of state gun purchase. Is there a lot of reported abuse through GB?
I believe he meant that people were able to exploit the weaknesses of "ArmsList". Those listings are usually for a certain area and picked up in person, no FFL needed.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts