Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I always liked the gen-1s for practical shooting matches due to it not having the finger grooves from the factory so i didnt have to take a dremel to my new GLOCK.

Lately ive seen GEN-1 GLOCK prices sky rocket and hear they are now considered collectable for fanboys?
I hear some are more valuable than others, like factory night sights, pencil barrel w austrian proof marks etc

I checked gunbroker and saw a gen-1 for $800 and a few at $500+,when did Glocks become vintage collectables?

I love my Glocks and wont sell but if they are going up in value maybe ill keep my Gen-1 in the safe.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Supply and Demand. If there's a market starting up for Gen 1's, there'll be people who will jump on it and turn a hefty profit.

Just look at arms list or Gunbroker. People will ask a high price for anything. Because there's people that will pay it for what ever reason. 1: no back ground check. 2: no permit, 3: under age. You name it.

It doesn't surprise me tho. I don't see a lot of Gen 1's around anymore. ( not really looking either, just saying). I'm sure there's people who prefer the Gen 1's. I however like the Gen 4's. I like the finger grooves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think I've ever even seen a gen 1 in person... I'd probably pay as much as a new Glock for one in good shape just for the cool factor of having the original, but I wouldn't but a premium really. Give it 50 years and I'm sure they'll be worth a pretty penny

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glock gen 1

Supply and Demand. If there's a market starting up for Gen 1's, there'll be people who will jump on it and turn a hefty profit.

Just look at arms list or Gunbroker. People will ask a high price for anything. Because there's people that will pay it for what ever reason. 1: no back ground check. 2: no permit, 3: under age. You name it.

It doesn't surprise me tho. I don't see a lot of Gen 1's around anymore. ( not really looking either, just saying). I'm sure there's people who prefer the Gen 1's. I however like the Gen 4's. I like the finger grooves.

------------
I love GEN-1 GLOCKS
I dont like the finger grooves on the newer GEN3&4s since my strong hand middle finger under the knuckle rests on the point of the finger groove. Shooters with big hands and fingers like a non-grooved design, thats why most competiton shooters i compete with either dremel off the grooves or run a GEN-1 GLOCK. When you draw a GLOCK from holster sometimes you can grab on the grooves by accident and its difficult to adjust your presentation at that point where a GEN-1 is easier to recover.

In regards to gunbroker GLOCK GEN 1 models i just didnt know they were going for so much. $800+ is what the last one sold for with the pencil barrel and i see the factory night sight Glocks go for big money. It would be one thing if it was an asking price but these are prices that they SOLD for!
Right now a few GLOCK GEN-1 models have bids around $500 on gunbroker w a few days. Im just going to wait until an hour before and bid to see if i can grab one cheap.
One for a safe queen and one to game with ;)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Well, I am admittedly what some would call a Glock "Fan Boy", and would really love to have a Gen1 Glock 17, but I would never pay a boat load of money for one. I wouldn't even pay as much as I would for a NIB. It just isn't practical or wise in my opinion, because in the end, it still an old, used (usually) gun. But as with anything, they are worth only as much as someone will pay.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm sure that you all know that "old" doesn't equate to value, in most cases, when it comes to value. Typically, rarity, and condition of the rare piece is what gets you the big bucks. I can't see Glocks becoming too awful collectible due to rarity anytime in the future, however, there's a third part of the equation, and that's desirability. If people desire one bad enough, a $50 NIB 25ACP may jump up to astronomical price points.

Back in the 80's when Ruger's first 9mm semi-auto came out, the magazines indicated about a $400 MSRP. I went to a gun store in CA, and they were asking and getting $800 - 900 bucks, and people were in line to get them. That was a long time ago, so adjust for inflation. When I asked the guy why they were asking 800 bucks for a gun worth half that, I was told not to let the door hit me in the ass. A lot of gun store owners used to think that they were required to act like A-holes back in those days.

Glad, too. I can't remember what that model was, but turns they had serious problems. Probably couldn't get more than $300 for one now. But back to Glocks, there are literally millions of the things out there. Some of the special editions might shoot up, but I don't think they'll ever be investment pieces, for the average gun.

One question? How does gun broker get away with people underage buying, no background checks, etc? If I buy one out of state, I have to have it shipped to a FFL. In state you can check ID's, or their CCW permit, or got to a store and do a background check. Or, if you know them and everythings cool, no felons, etc. you can do a FTF. How does gunbroker sales circumvent all of that? Looks like people would be going to jail left and right, if all that was true?

Thanks,
FT:cool:

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Every gun I've ever bought through GB had to go through the same legal process as any other out of state gun purchase. Is there a lot of reported abuse through GB?

·
Registered
410 Posts

Ed, I hadn't heard of any, until this post.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Ed, I hadn't heard of any, until this post.
I did buy a pistol from a private individual on a forum in November. The seller had his FFL transfer the gun to my FFL, well that was the plan anyway, until the UPS guy delivered the box to my house!

That caused me all kinds of stress… I called the seller and he was as surprised as I was. I took the entire package (labels and everything) to my FFL and they contacted the shipping FFL and made sure the pistol had been properly logged in by the shipping FFL and transferred so that they could then log it in under their license and transfer it to me.

Evidently the shipping FFL just "got busy" and shipped the pistol to the "wrong address"! So, it "can" happen, but one would need to have more intestinal fortitude than me to accept an improperly transferred pistol these days!

My Dad brought back a Luger in WWII and walked into the main post office in NYC with the pistol, magazines and shoulder holster… all loose… and asked the counter clerk to "box this up and mail it home"… Imagine doing THAT these days!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My Dad brought back a Luger in WWII and walked into the main post office in NYC with the pistol, magazines and shoulder holster… all loose… and asked the counter clerk to "box this up and mail it home"… Imagine doing THAT these days!
That is SO cool! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
There is in Armslist.

BJT,
I know this thread got off track a little, but if people are breaking the law on Armslist, then those who know of this info should notify the BATF.

I've bought and sold a few guns on Armslist. I either ship them FFL out of state, or if local will do a FTF, if they have a KY Lic., or CCW permit.

Is it possible for someone who can't legally own one, get one? Yes. So what do we do, pile more laws, on the already in place laws, that don't work? Gangbang A-wipes, aren't going to get a background check in a gun store. Probably not going to ask for I.D. either.

I don't mean to imply that you were suggesting that we need more gun laws, but instead of coming out on a public forum and making a public accusation against Armslist, I'd take whatever knowledge that you seem to have, and give to cops, names, times places etc. Just to make a point, somebody using the "clasiffied's" here on this forum, might be pulling something shady.

Unfortunately, people who break laws will do it, when and where they feel they can get away with it.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
That is SO cool! :D
It would be REALLY COOL if he would have kept it… Perfect, officer's model with SS markings… But, in 1945 getting 9mm ammo in Tennessee was near impossible and the pistol, at that time, only held bad memories so he traded it… For a fishing pole!!! Whenever I give him a hard time about it now he always says the same thing… "I caught a lot of fish with that pole…" LOL!

·
Registered
581 Posts
BJT,
I know this thread got off track a little, but if people are breaking the law on Armslist, then those who know of this info should notify the BATF.

I've bought and sold a few guns on Armslist. I either ship them FFL out of state, or if local will do a FTF, if they have a KY Lic., or CCW permit.

Is it possible for someone who can't legally own one, get one? Yes. So what do we do, pile more laws, on the already in place laws, that don't work? Gangbang A-wipes, aren't going to get a background check in a gun store. Probably not going to ask for I.D. either.

I don't mean to imply that you were suggesting that we need more gun laws, but instead of coming out on a public forum and making a public accusation against Armslist, I'd take whatever knowledge that you seem to have, and give to cops, names, times places etc. Just to make a point, somebody using the "clasiffied's" here on this forum, might be pulling something shady.

Unfortunately, people who break laws will do it, when and where they feel they can get away with it.

I totally agree. I personally don't buy or sale on arms list. I've got a friend that does. I've recently been introduced to it. My shooting partner recently purchased to M&P off of Armslist from 2 different sellers. He did not give the seller his ID, pistol Permits or anything. I was shocked by this. He stated the sellers never asked for anything, just the cash.

Now I'm not saying they're all like that. The few times I've looked on the site I've seen sellers request all the correct permits, IDs and FFL if shipped. I emailed Armslist jut to inquire if they had any policies to insure everything was legal. My response was" it's up to the seller and buyer to follow all federal and state laws. They're just there to provide a site for people to buy and sell firearms. They take no legal responsibility. Only time they interject is if it's fraud or someone is posting something illegal for sale. Needless to say I was shocked.

But unfortunately it seems that's the way of the world. I'll stop there.

I wasn't trying to suggest more laws. And didn't mean to make an accusation. Just stating a fact really. I'm not bashing Armslist either. But it does happen. I apologize if it came out wrong or I was unclear.

And there's good deals in Armslist. I like the idea of Armslist. But yes, it is possible to purchase a firearm with out a permit or ID on the site. As well as other places I'm sure.

To the original poster: I apologize for getting off topic. I'll leave the thread to the original reason it was started. I hope I didn't side track it to bad. :) was not my intention.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yes, you are 100 percent right. I always ask for a KY ID, or a CCW from KY. Especially if they look like one guy did, I made a trade with, he looked like he was 16 years old. I was polite and "apologetic", but I told him, straight up, that he looked kind of young, but he just smiled and handed me both his I.D. and CCW. He was about 28 or so, don't remember, but I wasn't even going to talk to him without a valid I.D.

If people like you talked about keep up what they're doing, they might end up in jail...for a while.

FT.:cool:

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Let's see :

FT the Ruger model was the P85, I had one and traded up to the P89 after reading too many stories about the 85. (still have the P89 too !)

My edc is a gen1/2/3 Frankenstein and i like the finger grip indentions ....

Armslist advertises that they are just a site for gathering buyers and sellers, they do not get involved in the dealings of the people who use the site !

And for those whom have never seen a gen 1 17, I have one that could be for sale if the price is right ....

LOL

NOT ! ! !

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't think the point was using armslist to bypass background checks for illegal purposes but that some people will pay a premium for private sales. I personally will often pay good prices to ensure some of my guns aren't registered. I would rather the Feds not have a list of what I own and I am law abiding.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Let's see :

FT the Ruger model was the P85, I had one and traded up to the P89 after reading too many stories about the 85. (still have the P89 too !)

Armslist advertises that they are just a site for gathering buyers and sellers, they do not get involved in the dealings of the people who use the site !
Thanks OT, I couldn't remember for the life of me, a model P85, I know there was a big deal made about it's roll out, as Rugers first semi-auto self defense pistol, unless you count the .22's. Turned out to be a real jam-o-matic, if I remember correctly. Sure was glad I wasn't one of those "dying" to buy one for $800 in late 80's dollars.

Yes Armslist is in no way involved in transactions. They get a bad rap, that's undeserved. I can remember when you could advertise in the paper, before day's of political correctness.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't think the point was using armslist to bypass background checks for illegal purposes but that some people will pay a premium for private sales. I personally will often pay good prices to ensure some of my guns aren't registered. I would rather the Feds not have a list of what I own and I am law abiding.
I agree, Zenas, a FTF, that's I know is legitimate might be worth a premium over a NIB purchase. Usually I've gotten FTF deals slightly, say 25 bucks under NEW, assuming the condition warrants it, then back out the taxes, so you save another 25 or 30 dollars. I have nothing to hide, but I don't think that it's the governments business, unless I was a convicted felon, or otherwise not allowed to purchase, or purchasing from a FFL.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
but I don't think that it's the governments business
And THAT folks is a fact !

1 - 20 of 45 Posts