Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to glock guns and looking for good gun to carry for concealed. I like the g23 but friends are trying to get me to go with 45cal. I need help on decision. I know everyone has opinions so looking forward to advice. Only thing that concerns me is only having 8 bullets in 45cal. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
If capacity is your biggest concern, I'd go with the GLOCK 19. I carry one with Ranger +p+ giving me 46 rounds. I also carry a GLOCK 38, which to make sure you are aware, is 45 GAP, not 45 ACP. With it, I have 25 rounds of nasty Speer Gold Dot. I personally am not a fan of the .40 cal with it's snappiness but you know what they say about people and their opinions. :) Good luck and welcome to the forums.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I have access to a lot of pistols. I am issued a Glock 18C and a Kimber Tactical Entry HD II.

I carry a G38 more than anything else. That should say something about how much trust I have in it.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have access to a lot of pistols. I am issued a Glock 18C and a Kimber Tactical Entry HD II.

I carry a G38 more than anything else. That should say something about how much trust I have in it.
...but I've heard you say on more than on occasion if you had to trust the lives of your family on one pistol it would be .... wait for it ....

.... a G19.

The G19 gets my vote as the best all around choice for a carry or HD weapon. It's versatile, capable, and more than enough to get the job done. Don't listen to anyone that says 9mm isn't adequate to take down a threat. Anyone that says that simply shouldn't be trusted to help you choose a weapon.

From the two you listed though I'd go with the G38. As TheLaw pointed out ... just know the GAP isn't the same as the ACP. I hate the snap of a .40s&w.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Since the original question was to choose between a 23 and a 38, I would choose the Glock 38. I like the idea of a .45 caliber round in a gun the size of a Glock 19. I do not have a 38, but I trust jlweems opinion enough that I would choose the .45 GAP compact over the .40 caliber Glocks.

I do have to add that I chose a Glock 19 for my carry weapon. You know all of us opinionated Glock.pro members always have to throw our own 2 cents into the circle... :)

·
None
1,525 Posts
...but I've heard you say on more than on occasion if you had to trust the lives of your family on one pistol it would be .... wait for it ....

.... a G19.

The G19 gets my vote as the best all around choice for a carry or HD weapon. It's versatile, capable, and more than enough to get the job done. Don't listen to anyone that says 9mm isn't adequate to take down a threat. Anyone that says that simply shouldn't be trusted to help you choose a weapon.

From the two you listed though I'd go with the G38. As TheLaw pointed out ... just know the GAP isn't the same as the ACP. I hate the snap of a .40s&w.
He didn't include the 19 in the options that he is considering.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I would take the 23 unless the 45 option included the G36. I like the more slim grip. The 40 has plenty of power behind it. After all it does track it's origins back to the 10mm. It is all going to be up to what you like. I would go to the gun store and get the "feel" for several types, and calibers. I would use that to base my decision versus what caliber something is.

With today's modern ammo any caliber offered in the States by Glock isn't going to be fun to be on the receiving end of.

·
Registered
112 Posts
+1 Glock 19.

But since that's not on the list, then get the Glock 23.

I'm not a fan of 45 GAP. Lots of ink has been spilled on the topic of 45 ACP versus 45 GAP. I just see no reason to change from 45 ACP. You may as well get a Glock 21.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a huge perceived difference in the grip dimensions between a 37/38 and a 21 and the 21SF.
Glock still hasn't really figured out the 45 ACP cartridge. Engineering a whole new cartridge just so they can make a smaller grip does not make sense to me.

I wish they'd make an 8+1 single stack...extend the Glock 36 slide and grip a bit. But, they won't do it (Someone told me that he talked to Gaston Glock at the SHOT show. Glock would do it if they could sell 100,000 guns in the first year. However, their market research points them to a far smaller number of sales the first year.)

If the OP can stand the 45 GAP cartridge, then I guess get it. Their engineering "solution" just sticks in my craw.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
For me, the 38 was a perfect solution to my issue. I can't properly grip the GLOCK 21. I like the the 45 caliber round. Being able to have the ballistics of the round I desire in a frame I can properly grip and control is why I purchased the gun. I believe it is also why many agencies have gone to the 45 GAP round as well.

·
None
1,525 Posts
Glock still hasn't really figured out the 45 ACP cartridge. Engineering a whole new cartridge just so they can make a smaller grip does not make sense to me.

I wish they'd make an 8+1 single stack...extend the Glock 36 slide and grip a bit. But, they won't do it (Someone told me that he talked to Gaston Glock at the SHOT show. Glock would do it if they could sell 100,000 guns in the first year. However, their market research points them to a far smaller number of sales the first year.)

If the OP can stand the 45 GAP cartridge, then I guess get it. Their engineering "solution" just sticks in my craw.
Well, I love the GAP. I have the 37 and the 38 and hope to add the 39. If Glock were to make a commander sized single stack ACP, I would probably buy one, but I wouldn't give up the GAP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.