Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20 years ago an untrue rumor went thru my town which was handgun sales would be banned. So, I bought a G19 (gen 2) for my first CCW pistol. I never could get myself to like shooting it. I would only shoot it enough to remain proficient with it. It became just another tool in the tool box. Well, I bought a G34(gen4) last week and took it to the range today, 250 rnds later, I LIKE IT ! Filled up and rotated all 3 magazines. Not one hiccup. Pull the trigger, bang, action cycled , repeat. Trigger pull is great, pistol is accurate. Brass all ejected at 3-4 o'clock, 5-6' away. No brass to face, not one! I have never wanted to reload 9mm, but, now I will.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
20 years ago an untrue rumor went thru my town which was handgun sales would be banned. So, I bought a G19 (gen 2) for my first CCW pistol. I never could get myself to like shooting it. I would only shoot it enough to remain proficient with it. It became just another tool in the tool box. Well, I bought a G34(gen4) last week and took it to the range today, 250 rnds later, I LIKE IT ! Filled up and rotated all 3 magazines. Not one hiccup. Pull the trigger, bang, action cycled , repeat. Trigger pull is great, pistol is accurate. Brass all ejected at 3-4 o'clock, 5-6' away. No brass to face, not one! I have never wanted to reload 9mm, but, now I will.
You are in good company, believe me. Several members have G34s, they are widely used in competition. I have trouble deciding which Glock is my favorite, the G19 or the G34.

Chris

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I sold my G17L and kept my G34.... I shot them about the same, but I found the G34 to be just that much more practical. I love my G34!

Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Air gun Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
154 Posts
So what is the practical usable difference between the 17L and 34? I know the 17L is longer, harder to find and never produced in Gen4, but how are the shooting differences? I was told that they both had the 3.5# trigger, but now I see on Glock's website that the G34 has a 4.5# trigger.

Anyone who has (or had) both care to comment? I would be looking for bullseye/target only, not necessarily competition use.

doug

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
So what is the practical usable difference between the 17L and 34? I know the 17L is longer, harder to find and never produced in Gen4, but how are the shooting differences? I was told that they both had the 3.5# trigger, but now I see on Glock's website that the G34 has a 4.5# trigger.
While I haven't owned both the G34 and G17L, there are a couple of things I can say about them with some assurance.

First, the G17L is not approved for USPSA Production Division, but the G34 is (USPSA/NROI Production Gun List).

Second, there has always been confusion about claims for the "3.5# connector". The G34 carries a Glock "-" connector that Glock claims is part of a 4.5# trigger (GLOCK Armorer's Manual, ©Glock, 2009, Page 88).

A number of sources claim to produce a "3.5# connector", we have published some data along those lines:http://glock.pro/glock-tech-warranty/5756-connector-comparison-test-3.html#post64480.

Suffice it to say that a particular connector alone will not produce a 3.5# trigger pull.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
I have both... 17L has a longer sight radius... a little more velocity on the same round... fun to shoot... longer barrel is a bit slower to transition than a 34...

Shoot my 34 every week and rarely shoot my 17L... Should take it out and shoot it again... fun gun...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I too own both - and I would state that the G17L is more of a GLOCK that I own because they are not found everywhere. As mentioned several times now, they really cannot be shot in competition so there is no advantage for me over the G34.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts

Anyone who has (or had) both care to comment? I would be looking for bullseye/target only, not necessarily competition use.

doug
According to Glock's website, the G34 was designed to be the same length as a government model 1911. In my experience, I can draw a G34 much easier from a holster without having to stand on a step ladder, as required by the length of the G17L.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Glock's 17L can be shot in USPSA's Limited class... of course you would have to shoot Limited minor... Dave Sevigny did pretty well with a 17L in Limited...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts