Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun has, maybe, 300 rds through it. Every time I've shot it I've had some FTFs. It happens with various magazines, and different types of ammo including some 200gr Speer Gold Dots and 220gr +p Hornady Critical Duty.

I've kinda just assumed that it's been a limp wrist issue as I'm arthritic and fairly weak and this gun is a bit snappy for me. But the guns behavior today kinda makes me question that and I'm hoping to get some of y'all's expert opinions.

I had 4 distinct types of FTF today:
1) round is half way in the chamber, jams and holds the slide open
2) slide closes to the point where the barrel is about to pop up to lock but it stops there.
3) a stove-pipe with the un-fired round, pointy side up (I've never even heard of this before.)
4) round fully in the magazine, point of the round stuck against the magazine wall (this one in particular happened with 3 magazines, 2 G21 mags and a 10rd mag, and 2 types of ammo, JHP and FMJ.)

I appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone can give me. I should also note that I was trying to be extra careful with my grip today in an effort to avoid any limp wristing, but it may just be something I can't control with this particular weapon.

-- Tulli

I hope my descriptions are clear.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
The gun has, maybe, 300 rds through it. Every time I've shot it I've had some FTFs. It happens with various magazines, and different types of ammo including some 200gr Speer Gold Dots and 220gr +p Hornady Critical Duty.
So, we can probably rule out the "ammo is too weak" answer!

I've kinda just assumed that it's been a limp wrist issue as I'm arthritic and fairly weak and this gun is a bit snappy for me. But the guns behavior today kinda makes me question that and I'm hoping to get some of y'all's expert opinions.
If you have arthritis and a weak grip, and you are trying to handle a high-powered handgun with hot ammunition in a compact frame, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have a "limp wristing" problem.

I had 4 distinct types of FTF today:
1) round is half way in the chamber, jams and holds the slide open
2) slide closes to the point where the barrel is about to pop up to lock but it stops there.
3) a stove-pipe with the un-fired round, pointy side up (I've never even heard of this before.)
4) round fully in the magazine, point of the round stuck against the magazine wall (this one in particular happened with 3 magazines, 2 G21 mags and a 10rd mag, and 2 types of ammo, JHP and FMJ.)
Because you are probably not having the problem with machine-like precision, I wouldn't expect the handgun to behave consistently. The recoil, extraction, ejection, and returning to battery functions are all being upset, so it's going to behave weirdly.

That said, is the gun clean and lubricated? A build-up of soot on the feed ramp and in the chamber could cause feeding problems, but with the ammo you're using that would be unusual.

You should have a little grease on the slide cam, here's a photo:

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door Grille

I appreciate any thoughts or advice anyone can give me. I should also note that I was trying to be extra careful with my grip today in an effort to avoid any limp wristing, but it may just be something I can't control with this particular weapon.
-- Tulli

I hope my descriptions are clear.
Your descriptions are very clear and candid, thanks.

First, I would ask couple of other people to shoot the gun, people who you know are competent pistol shooters, and see if they have the same problem. If they don't, then the problem is almost certainly yours to solve.

If they do have the same problem, before I gave up on the G30 I would try some ammunition with a little less "punch", like a 230-grain bullet in some regular "ball" ammunition (about 800-900 fps). It shouldn't be hard to find, and it will shoot a little softer than the stuff you are using now.

Second, what other handguns are you able to shoot well? This could be a matter of this particular pistol simply being too powerful for you to handle, in which case a good solution would be to trade it for one that works for you.

Chris

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Chris has nailed it. I too have the 30s and I have some hot ammo that in the smaller frame, it will definitely cause the gun to "wiggle" loose in your hand and that is why Chris mentioned that you are not going to handle with precision. I have some underwood ammo that is 185 XTP that shoots at 1200 fps that is much more difficult to shoot than just some 230 ball ammo. Don't give up too soon because it is a fine weapon but if you have a medical condition that either A prevents ample practice or B prevents the weapon from functioning flawlessly then you might consider switching calibers. Good luck! As Oklahoma safe shooting would say" shoot well"!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Speaking of OSS, I wonder how he's doing. He checked in a couple weeks ago to wish the Forum a Happy New Year, but he must be really busy the last few months.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That said, is the gun clean and lubricated? A build-up of soot on the feed ramp and in the chamber could cause feeding problems, but with the ammo you're using that would be unusual.
The gun was clean and frog-lubed.

Interesting, i've always used the "3-2-1" method of lubing glocks, but it makes sense to put a little dab of something there too.

First, I would ask couple of other people to shoot the gun, people who you know are competent pistol shooters, and see if they have the same problem. If they don't, then the problem is almost certainly yours to solve.
That's a good idea, I'll do that.

If they do have the same problem, before I gave up on the G30 I would try some ammunition with a little less "punch", like a 230-grain bullet in some regular "ball" ammunition (about 800-900 fps). It shouldn't be hard to find, and it will shoot a little softer than the stuff you are using now.
I did also shoot a bunch of 230gr Remington UMC. I don't know where that falls in terms of speed, but it also failed me.

Second, what other handguns are you able to shoot well? This could be a matter of this particular pistol simply being too powerful for you to handle, in which case a good solution would be to trade it for one that works for you.
Other guns I can shoot without malfunction that are snappy are the G23, and S&W Bodyguard 380. I also have no issues with my 1911s, or any of my 9mm weapons, including my G19 and G26.

Thank you for your help, I don't intend to give up on the G30S. I'll just keep it to shoot for fun if nothing else. It's a little disappointing that I can't handle it well enough to make it a carry gun, but we must all live within our limitations.

--Tulli

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I wonder if the relative "lightness" of the slide on this model is contributing to the issues. Back when folks were making their own version of these (a G36 slide on a G30 frame), that was one of the "issues" reported by the Dr. Frankenglocks… In fact, there is a Hickok45 video on the Glock G30S where Hickok discusses just that concern.

Any idiot can describe a problem (did I just call myself an idiot?), but it takes some brains to offer a solution. I suspect that with additional rounds fired, the recoil spring will break in and the pistol should perform better. But with today's ammo prices, that is an expensive "test"… Perhaps racking the slide, by hand, several hundred times would have the same effect. I'd try that, cycle the slide 500 times at least before your next range trip and see if it helps… If nothing else, you'll start looking like Popeye soon!

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had a 30S since They came out with it. I use it as my C&C , However I've no problems as you have described with this Glock, which I shot a lot after I got it to get use to the 45 ACP. My question for you....think you are Limp wrist when you fire the gun?? I know I had one when I first started with a Beretta 9MM till I figured out what I was doing after watching several Videos on youtube. Good luck, the 30S Is a awesome Handgun in my OP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have a 30S but do have a 30sf. I also have really bad deforming arthritis in my hands, fingers, wrists and elbows. I found the 30sf remarkably reliable and use it for my edc. I never had any FTF other than a few bad ammo casings that didn't fit in the chamber (not the guns fault). I use an ammo chamber checker for all my sd ammo but I always over lube my gun. I use grease and grease the rails, the outside if the entire barrel as well as the ramp and slide cam slightly. I know everyone is going to beat me up, but especially when the gun is new, I believe it is needed. I've never had any issue with any handgun. Years ago this was always recommended for new guns and I never changed. Give it a try, you can also clean it out thoroughly after your range trip. After every range trip, I strip the gun down and clean it and re-grease it.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I don't have a 30S but do have a 30sf. I also have really bad deforming arthritis in my hands, fingers, wrists and elbows. I found the 30sf remarkably reliable and use it for my edc. I never had any FTF other than a few bad ammo casings that didn't fit in the chamber (not the guns fault). I use an ammo chamber checker for all my sd ammo but I always over lube my gun. I use grease and grease the rails, the outside if the entire barrel as well as the ramp and slide cam slightly. I know everyone is going to beat me up, but especially when the gun is new, I believe it is needed. I've never had any issue with any handgun. Years ago this was always recommended for new guns and I never changed. Give it a try, you can also clean it out thoroughly after your range trip. After every range trip, I strip the gun down and clean it and re-grease it.
NYHawk, I think that some extra lubrication is a pretty good idea in this case.

Personally, I have had trouble with a brand-new G26, just getting it back together after a field-strip was difficult until I put a little extra grease on the slide. Scared me, that did. Here I am a Glock Armorer and all, and I get a new G26 home and can't get it back together. At least the guys at the LGS were kind to me as they put some grease on the slide cam...

The reason we generally avoid over-oiling Glocks is that as a long-term practice, if you don't carefully clean the gun, it will tend to attract grit. But, as you mentioned that you keep the gun clean, I think it's a fine idea. There is no point in being dogmatic about maintenance procedures here, we're trying to help Tulliandar get the gun working. If a little extra lube helps, I'm all for it!

So, thanks for the idea there, Hawk, let's see if we make any progress.

Chris

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dear Tulli,

Listen to Chris. He is usually right and knows whereof he speaks.
I talked to him about my G36 problem of 1) FTF's and 2) soft strikes on the 'firing pin'.

Recall, that the G30S is a G31SF with a G36 slide. My G36 had between 3000 and 6000 rounds thru it and I had a Ghost trigger job done on it.

1) changing the extractor was relatively easy and cured the FTF problem.

2) reading the info on the ammo box helped a lot because the ammo producer said that guns with modified triggers might not work with Lawman or Clean-Fire Speer/Blazer ammo. Changing the trigger spring (after some instruction from Chris via the internet) cured that problem. Now the G36 runs like a clock, or glock.

3) I liked it so much that I bought a G30S which is my new EDC (rotating duty with the G36). It sounds as tho the problem with the new gun and the good ammo you are using could be operator dependent. Get a trusted experienced shooter to run some rounds thru your G30S and see if s/he has the FTF problem. YOU try someone else's G30S and see if you can recreate the FTF problem or G30, or G30SF or G36. You might also try video recording your shooting and then slow the video down (some point and shoot cameras like the Panasonic Lumix have the ability to shoot super rapid video which allows for ultra slow motion on replay).

As a last resort, send it back to Glock for a check-up.

Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow. I just finished reading thru previous posts to see where I should post my issue: almost exactly the same! So, as a newbie here, please let me know if I should add my very similar issue here or start a new thread with same title!

Thank you.

I am going to just start a new almost identical thread since this one is a few months old....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. I just finished reading thru previous posts to see where I should post my issue: almost exactly the same! So, as a newbie here, please let me know if I should add my very similar issue here or start a new thread with same title!

Thank you.

I am going to just start a new almost identical thread since this one is a few months old....
Sorry, I meant to update this a long time ago, but amongst my many failings is my chronic laziness.

I went to the range shortly after Cohland's advice to lube the slide cam. I had far fewer problems that trip (maybe 2 FTFs out of, perhaps, 100rds). Still to many for me to consider it for a carry gun, but few enough that it is fun to shoot at the range again :)

I also had 2 other people with me shoot it and they had no problems at all. I have very little doubt that it's a limp wrist issue, and the best advice I can give anyone with similar issues is to not get old.

Thank you all for your help!

-- Tulli

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Update: Allen Ramsey, Director of Training at Glock Professional, has recently told a Forum Member that using grease on a Glock is not advised, that we should use only oil as mentioned in the "Instructions For Use" manual.

Grease has been associated with malfunctions, where the grease has picked up brass filings and fouling, causing light primer strikes in a G42.

In light of this new information, which contradicts what I was taught at the Armorer Class, I will stop using grease on the slide cam, rails, and connector.

Chris

So, we can probably rule out the "ammo is too weak" answer!

If you have arthritis and a weak grip, and you are trying to handle a high-powered handgun with hot ammunition in a compact frame, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have a "limp wristing" problem.

Because you are probably not having the problem with machine-like precision, I wouldn't expect the handgun to behave consistently. The recoil, extraction, ejection, and returning to battery functions are all being upset, so it's going to behave weirdly.

View attachment 6232

Your descriptions are very clear and candid, thanks.

Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had 1 rtf so far with my new 30sf it was the second round, when I tightened my grip it was fine for another box and a half of ammo. Very accurate gun and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I understand this is an older thread, but may help someone. Glock solved my 9 year old G30S problem (rd was hanging up on the feed ramp), and didn’t matter which mags I used, or the type of ammo, and just started happening out of the blue one day. I called Glock, and sent it in, and two weeks later it was back home. On return, it functioned flawlessly. The below parts were replaced free of charge, and couldn’t be happier. Glocks warranty service is only second to my experience with Sig when I sent in my P220 Elite 10mm. If you ever have issues with your Glocks, call them, their warranty service is awesome😀

Replaced Parts List

Extractor.45 slim(LCI15/5)
3442 pc

Spring - Load Bearing LCI 10mm,.45 77

FiringPin Safety Assy(SMALL) 1 91

Pressure spring 3,1/0,36/8,25 1 30756

Locking Block04(G29/30)
1 4368 pc

Locking Block Pin

Magazine Catch Spring

RecoilSpring G29/G30 Assy 133
Slide Cover Plate