Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. . .I hit the range again today with the new G27. I put 150 rounds down range and had FIVE malfunctions--4 incidents of the slide locking back and one failure to go boom. . .as in, the striker hit the primer, but not hard enough. To say I lack confidence in this gun would be an understatement.

I'll be contacting Glock on Monday to make arrangements to send it in. I've been carrying handguns for a living for almost 30 years. I've carried Berettas, Sigs, HKs, S&Ws and I've never had any one of them malfunction as often as this gun already has.

I'd feel good about it if I could get 200 rounds through it without a single malfunction. . .I haven't come close to that yet. Initially I thought I may have been limp-wristing it, but I'm afraid that isn't the case now that I've shot about 700 rounds through it . . even if it was limp-wristing causing the lock-backs I've never had a semi-auto that tempermental.

I've been shooting Federal American Eagle 180 grain FMJ factory ammo. . .I can't imagine that ammo is causing these issues especially given the reputation for Glock eating most ammo without problems.

Until this gets resolved, I'll be carrying my "reliable-as-an-anvil" G23. Has anyone heard of this slide lock-back issue? I'm thinking that the slide lock spring is weak and not holding the slide lock down well enough during recoil. . .any other ideas?

Regarding the failure to fire maybe the striker channel is dirty, but given the torture tests I've read about where Glocks have been fired a zillion rounds without cleaning it would seem that either I'm really unlucky or I've got a gun that was built late on a Friday afternoon, possibly during Oktoberfest. . . .

·
Registered
401 Posts
Is you thumb hitting the lever during recoil?
The failure to fire sounds like an ammo issue, i.e. maybe the primer was not seated all the way or hard or just plain bad.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't even touch the slide lock lever with my thumb(s) when I'm holding the gun in my shooting position / grip. I hold it with my right hand, supporting with my left--I've fired this way for almost thirty years with no issues. This gun recoils more than some others I've had, but I don't consider it excessive by any means, but for my thumb to hit the slide-lock lever the recoil would have to twist the gun to the left on recoil and I don't see that happening. I'm gonna try to get a buddy of mine to put a few hundred rounds through it tomorrow to see if it malfunctions with him shooting it--if it doesn't than I'll eat some crow and shut up about this. Early on, I thought I may have been hitting it with my thumb, but I don't believe that to be the case now.

Regarding the failure to fire. . . .it could have been the primer, but I looked it over pretty good and it looked like it was seated correctly. . .I could see where the striker had "tapped" it slightly, putting a small dimple in it. I loaded that round again and it fired normally. . . .it's not inspiring confidence. . . . that being said, I love the way this gun shoots--I can pretty much eat out the x-ring at 10 yards consistently. . .the trigger pull is perfect in my opinion. . . I'm not giving up on Glocks by any means, but I hope they can fix this so I'm confident trusting my life to it. If my buddy shoots it tomorrow without any issues I'll gladly post that result and chalk this bad experience up to ergonomic incompatibility and probably get something else to carry--I hope that isn't the case though. . .I really like the size / weight / firepower of this gun.

--Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
hopefully you get this issue figured out, whether its you or the gun malfunctioning. id hate for something to happen in a life or death situation.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll bet green dollar bills that you were somehow pushing the slide stop(slide release) up into the slide upon recoil. Yes, that could cause a misfire as well because it could cause enough drag on the slide so it doesn't go completely into battery yet still have the firing pin strike the primer, just not hard enough.

My first range trip with my G27 I was inadvertently holding the slide stop down so that the slide failed to lock back after the last round.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
While I haven't seen the OPs hand positions, it sounds like he does the saucer cup by his explanation above. Gun in his right hand, with his left hand supporting (underneath) his shooting hand, like a cup and saucer. This is not the proper grip for a semi-automatic handgun, but if it is the case, he clearly isn't hitting the slide release with his thumb.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
If you are new to Glocks, they are more sensitive to "grip" than most semi auto handguns. While it's possible that you did get a "dud" from the factory, given that you are new to Glocks, even though you are obviously experienced with semi autos, your grip may contribute to the issues you describe. Have a look at the attached link....

When I bought my gen 4 I read all the internet horror stories about how bad they are with FTF and FTE problems... I've not had one issue with mine, that was not operator related. Both me and my wife have fired it hundreds of rounds and had no gun malfunctions, but I let a relative shoot it (he's a skinny little bugger) and he couldn't hardly keep my gun from jamming. I worked with him on his grip some and next time out, he had no issues either.

The video "proves" nothing, but it does a great job of demonstrating how different weapons react to grip...

Good luck with getting it sorted...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Better session today. . . .

Well. . . .I'm kinda scratching my head now. . . .I just got back from the range. . .I put 110 rounds through it with nary a hiccup. I shot the tightest groups I've done so far with this gun. . . I changed nothing about my grip / technique for the most part--I did change it for a few rounds, but I can really only hold this gun comfortably a certain way due to it's short grip area. I paid attention to where my thumbs were, but didn't change anything. . .at least I don't think I did.

Hey TheLaw. . . .thanks for the input. . .although I have a lot of handgun experience, I am somewhat new to Glocks (never fired one before this past spring) and I believe we're NEVER too old to learn. I would describe my grip as somewhat of a modified teacup support. . . .I do weak-hand support, but it also augments my grip on the weapon with my strong hand--I don't have very large hands but this gun is still hard to hold onto. I would describe my hands as fairly strong.

Here's what I DID do different:

--I concentrated more on sight alignment and hitting the x-ring and not so much on the malfunctions. . .basically just had fun shooting the gun.
--After the session yesterday, I cleaned the gun with Hoppes Elite. . . .my first time using that stuff instead of my usual Hoppes No. 9. I bought the Elite because my wife hated the smell of the Hoppes No. 9 stinking the house up. I do like the Elite better. . .it seems to leave less residue on the gun. This probably has nothing to do with this lockback issue, but I note that was something different that I did before shooting today for whatever it's worth.

At this point, I'm gonna hold off calling Glock--today the gun operated flawlessly and I'm still not totally ruling out operator error. It would be a shame to send a gun back that shoots so damn good otherwise. . .I'd be afraid of getting a different gun that didn't shoot as well. Although a handful to hold onto during recoil, I can really hit with it. For now, I'm gonna keep putting rounds through it and see how it goes--my first post on this issue asked the question, "Do guns need to "break-in?". . .if today's session was any indication there might be some evidence that they do, or the operator needs to get broken in. . .whatever.

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Rowemesp,

Do you have a pinky extension on your magazine?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. . .I have the Pearce +1 grip extensions on both magazines. I put them on before I ever fired the gun. . . .

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 27 acting up... i'd blame the extensions.. get a couple factory mags and shoot with them a while to see if it clears up.. I had similar issues creep up with my 27 w/ pierce +1s

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rob. . . .do you have any idea how the Pearce extensions could cause the slide to lock back (with rounds still in the magazine)? I've looked them over carefully and I just don't see how the extensions would have any bearing on this issue. The slide has never failed to lock back when it's supposed to. . .I'd think that any problems with the +1 extensions would include the slide failing to lock back because of lack of spring tension (the spring would be under slightly less tension on the follower with the +1)--that has NOT been the case with me.

If you didn't read my previous post, I put 110 rounds through it yesterday without any issues. . . one of two things are happening in my opinion: Either the gun is "breaking in" or I am (controlling he recoil better). I still think the failure is recoil related--I've had the slide off with loaded magazines in the frame and there's just no way (unless I'm missing something) that the magazine or bullets can touch the slide lock lever. I'm wondering if the recoil spring is "wearing in" now that I've put a bunch of rounds through it, causing the recoil to lessen. . . .or my wrist is stiffening up and I'M controlling it better. I noted while cleaning it last night that the whole gun seemed "looser"--the mag springs certainly are.

Either way, I haven't given up on this gun yet. . . . After yesterdays good performance it'll probably be on my hip when I leave the house today.

I'd like to thank everyone for the input--this is a great forum!

--Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would like to hear your theory as to how the Pearce extensions might be causing the problem too. I've got the extensions and because I read the plastic guide rod can break, I went with a stainless steel guide rod. I'm not limp wristing and out of 250 rounds today through my new G27 I had 40 misfires and about 20 slide locks......

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I would like to hear your theory as to how the Pearce extensions might be causing the problem too. I've got the extensions and because I read the plastic guide rod can break, I went with a stainless steel guide rod. I'm not limp wristing and out of 250 rounds today through my new G27 I had 40 misfires and about 20 slide locks......
You do realize this thread is 2 years old.... Right? I'm not sure either of these guys are still hanging around...

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
"The Law" is still around, so there is hope.... I don't have a G27, but I'll offer a "guess".... The extensions may alter how the magazine seats in the mag well... either too high or too low. If you have extensions on all your mags, remove one and run a test on your own. The amount of troubles you are having is way out of line for a .40 cal Glock. I'm not aware of any "internal" issues that would cause that, so either ammo or, try the test re: the extensions. Good luck and let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Perhaps giving some in-depth data would allow us to help with your problem. I as well have a G27 with Pearce +1 extensions on all the magazines. I have never had the problems you have experienced with mine but as an Armorer perhaps I can help. How about giving some information on the type of ammo you were firing and when you were experiencing your problems. BTW, welcome to the forum, please tell us about yourself.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Nothing on the Pearce extensions that I can say, I've used them for a couple of years and not had an issue. But ... the stainless steel guide rod ..... one I bought caused me to have misfires just like you talk about. I sent it back for a refund and am using the original guide rod with no issues.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah. . .I'm still around. . .I just haven't been visiting the forum too much lately because I've been busy this summer. As for the lock-back issue--it's a non-issue now. I still use the Pearce extensions and the only thing I can think of is that I was inducing the lock-back somehow. My recommendation is to keep shooting it and concentrate on recoil management, and keep your thumb out of the way of the slide release lever.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts