Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
As a honest opinion, forget the nylon. Buy a holster that is molded specifically for your weapon. Buy either a leather holster, a kydex holster or a hybrid which has both leather and kydex. Generic holsters do not make good carry holsters. Some of them can even be dangerous. My Father-In-Law recently bought an Uncle Mikes generic brand holster for his G19. I showed him how the trigger could be manipulated while it was inside the holster. That's not a good thing!

You also have to decide how you want to wear the holster. Do you want to wear a paddle holster which allows for easy on-off access, but gives up a little bit when it comes to pulling the firearm in close to the body. IWB which offers the greatest conceal-ability but usually requires you to buy clothing one size bigger to wear the holster comfortably, or OWB which offers the most flexibility and choices.

Volgrad has a great writeup on different holster makers on this forum. We have the same taste in holsters among other things. Some top of the line suggestions would be Comp-Tac, Personal Security Systems Holsters, Raven, etc.. Each manufacturer has pros and cons. If you want, I can provide you with some links to check out there gear.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
He needs OC for FL though, right?

I can honestly say I've never used any kind of active retention holsters. I have play with a LEO buddies Safariland ALS paddle (for his issued G22) and I liked it pretty well. I think jlweems has some of the ALS stuff.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought FL was a MUST conceal state. ???
it is, however it is legal to have it visible in your vehicle as long as it has a strap/snap. complying with our "securely incased" law. not looking for a conceal holster for this purpose, just something to put it in when I want it in my truck. otherwise, it has to be in a case, console, etc. then it's useless. this is for when I want to keep my non concealed pistol with me when I drive.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
WOW! I need to give this some thought. If you want to carry it in your car, while not having it locked in a case, it has to be in a holster that has a strap on it. Hrmmmm. Never heard of that one. Let me see what I can find.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Blackhawk CQC has an adjustable cant paddle. Adjusts both directions so it could technically be worn as a crossdraw for driving and it has the retention. Not a fan of Blackhaw, but it's an option.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
but I wonder if the Blackhawk's "retention" meets the FL requirements? According to the OP, it needs a strap.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That I can't answer. "Securely encased" is what he mentioned in conjunction with snap / strap. There are some adjustable cant leather that might do it. Glad I live in Colorado! Most of the time I was in FL I was LE so it wasn't an issue, when I went in to Exec. Prot. nobody asked, but then again that was another lifetime ago.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
He needs OC for FL though, right?

I can honestly say I've never used any kind of active retention holsters. I have play with a LEO buddies Safariland ALS paddle (for his issued G22) and I liked it pretty well. I think jlweems has some of the ALS stuff.
Our newly elected Governor is pushing for open carry, but Florida is currently concealed carry only.

http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/p..._code=Florida-Firearms-Law-Use-Ownership-Book

This is the Florida bible covering all Florida gun laws. New version just came out... They sell them at most gun shops/ranges in Florida.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
it is, however it is legal to have it visible in your vehicle as long as it has a strap/snap. complying with our "securely incased" law. not looking for a conceal holster for this purpose, just something to put it in when I want it in my truck. otherwise, it has to be in a case, console, etc. then it's useless. this is for when I want to keep my non concealed pistol with me when I drive.
Do you have a Florida Concealed Weapon Permit?

The "Securely Encased" rule is pretty specific, but it still helps to have a CWP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have been working on an active retention rig - but I'm still playing with the design. It's hard to beat Safariland and Bladetech for Level 2 / 3 security holsters. I would just avoid the SERPA. Military has had some luck with it, but the chance for a ND is too large in many's opinion. I've also heard there have been reports of it locking the gun inside.

Just my $0.02. Interesting laws though....

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yah, securely encased means you can't just grab and shoot. having to reach in a case, console, un button a snap (weather an actual snap or Velcro one). I might want to keep it in between my seat and middle console when not on my person. this can be done without a CCW permit.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
yah, securely encased means you can't just grab and shoot. having to reach in a case, console, un button a snap (weather an actual snap or Velcro one). I might want to keep it in between my seat and middle console when not on my person. this can be done without a CCW permit.
When you going to work on a thigh rig? :) Say for a GLOCK 19 with TLR-1? Right handed, black, adjustable? LOL

·
Registered
165 Posts
i thought if you carry in your vehicle in florida you have to have it in a snaped holster or a zipper gun case. but i thought you had to have it in the glove box or in the console and not in the open. i think thats a no no.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
i thought if you carry in your vehicle in florida you have to have it in a snaped holster or a zipper gun case. but i thought you had to have it in the glove box or in the console and not in the open. i think thats a no no.
In Florida **

A gun in a vehicle in a snapped holster can be located anywhere - loaded or unloaded.

A gun in a zippered gun case can be loaded or unloaded.

Someone with a CWP has the option to either carry a gun "securely encased" or "fully concealed."

** These are interpretations from Jon Gutmacher's book, "Florida Firearms"... Mr. Gutmacher also mentions that many patrol officers seem to have different opinions about the "securely encased" provision. If you plan on carrying or transporting a gun in a vehicle, it's probably worthwhile to read his book. I think someone posted a link to it above... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.