Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am a recent convert form the Sig world, and after just having sold my SP2022, I am finally ready to buy a Glock. I had owned the SP2022 9mm since last fall, and put about 850 rounds through it, chasing consistency and accuracy. I could be very accurate with it a the start of a mag, then taper off to a down/left drop-off and never get any consistent shots through a whole magazine. I fought with it for months, then shot my brother's G23—and the first 6 shots went into a 1" target at 25'. Frankly, I don't think I'm as bad as the Sig was showing, nor as good as the Glock made me feel after a test drive.

Regardless, the G23 experience tapped a vein and here I am.

So I am ready to pull the trigger, so-to-speak, and complete my purchase for a new Glock 9mm. I was dead set on a G19, only waffling between the grip comfort of a Gen3 and the other improvements of a Gen4. Then on a whim, I picked up a G17 recently at a Gander Mountain while window shopping. Chocolate or vanilla? Too bad I can't get a twist, it would make my life so much easier.

I'm all knotted up trying to decide, and no, I can't just buy both (though I would love to do so). I know I will likely someday own both, just not right now. So where do I go?

My uses are almost 100% target/range. I do NOT intend to CC this pistol, and they both felt glove-like while holding. Either one would make me grin like a kid on Christmas, but I can't decide.

For any of you who own both, what did you buy first? For those of you who had to decide between the two and only have one, which one did you buy, and why?

Thanks for the help, guys,

Doug

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Feeling pretty lucky to own both in Gen4 versions, I bought the G17 first because it was a military standard pistol. The G19 came along when I learned that it was issued to USAF aircrews (can't substantiate that, though), and it is handier than the G17 for carry.

If you really, really will use the gun primarily at the range, then I would get the G17 for its longer sight radius. If you will ever carry the gun, I would get the G19.

And by the way, Welcome Aboard!

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get a 17 and chop an inch off the end?

You can't go wrong with either but my buying perspective is based on Can I conceal that? so I'd recommend the 19. It is my favorite gun, not just my favorite Glock.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I couldn't conceal either of those two handguns—I'm about 6' and 150 lbs soaking wet. Either one in my belt would make me look like a weatherman with a big ol' microphone battery pack on my hip. I need something smaller, thinner, single-stack and based on my fondling of the G26, not necessarily a Glock. :( They really need a thinner single-stack 9mm for CC...

I do flip towards the G17 for the target reasons. Then flop back to the G19 for the pure comfort of a compact. Push.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
The G19 is the 9mm version of the G23 you liked so well....

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
And it is "The Law" 'round here...

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Unless you are one of those guys that wears those skiiny jeans and skin tight shirts, there is no reason you should not be able to conceal a G19 or a G17 with the "proper" belt and "proper" holster. If you are looking to do it with a belt you have had for 10 years and a $20.00 holster, I can understand why you would feel that way.

When it comes to concealing a weapon, the hardest part to conceal is the grip, not the length of the barrel. Since the OP stated he was 6' tall, this should not be an issue. As many will tell you, I am one of the biggest G19 fans there is. I own all of the 9mm sizes and I carry the G19 daily, and have for many years now. With that said, as Cohland stated, if you are looking for a target pistol, go with the G17. The longer sight radius will be helpful in that regards. For someone that is looking to punch bullseyes out of paper targets at 50 feet, that will be important.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
162 Posts
If no CC, then I'd go G17. The longer sight radius will be an added benefit.

You'll probably end up with a G19 down the road.:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Dave, I like the Wild Willy avatar! :)

I have a bid in on a GunBroker.com auction that ends tomorrow, and if it doesn't come up roses for me, I'll be ordering the G19 Gen4 outright. I figure, if target is the goal, the 17 works out as a tweener between the 19 and the 34, so maybe the 34 will be next on my list—or maybe a 17L if I can find one. :) Now we'll see how it goes...

Thanks a bunch, all!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Welcome aboard from SE Indiana. :)
I have had multiples of both the G17 and the G19, I believe you made the correct choice. If you are a smaller statured man, you would probably like the G19 better anyway. I am a bigger guy and my favorite is my Gen2 G21 :cool:
That being said, if you can find the ammo and can afford it, shoot the crap out of your G19 and enjoy it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lost the auction by a couple of bucks, and promptly went on a search for a Gen 4 G19... and everyone was OUT OF STOCK! I happened to find one at AIMsurplus.com and grabbed it while I could. Should be here sometime next week. w00t!

Can't wait to tear it down to clean and lube, then get 'er out to the range for some break-in. I'm stoked!

Thanks for all of the insight, guys, it was very helpful in making my final choice.

doug

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
...I figure, if target is the goal, the 17 works out as a tweener between the 19 and the 34, so maybe the 34 will be next on my list.....
The observation that the G17 is a "tweener between the 19 and the 34", at least in terms of its suitability as a target gun, is a good one, quite accurate I think.

You didn't mention the G34 in the original post, but since you had framed the decision as being between the G19 and the G17, I didn't want to introduce any confusion by mentioning the G34 as the ideal target gun.

Now that you have secured a G19, if a G34 is on your list you probably won't miss the G17, except if you need a slightly higher capacity carry gun. That said, I do regularly see the G17 at USPSA matches, most commonly in the hands of new shooters as they begin to learn the game. It's the first Glock I owned and I see it as a permanent occupant of the safe.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As much as I figured that the 17 would be a slightly better target option, and I won't carry either of the options, it just felt like the 17 was in no-man's land for what I would be using the gun for, mostly. The 19 is the best all-around option for me right now (and I could carry if I wanted, and make it through Illinois' ridiculous requirements), so it wound up being a relatively painless choice. Knowing that is the same frame as my brother's 23 makes the anticipation now greater to get to the range. I can't wait!

Range report to come as soon as I can!

Doug

·
Registered
266 Posts
9mil..."and I could carry if I wanted, and make it through Illinois' ridiculous requirements..."

16 HOURS..! man... 4 days, with 4 hour classes... How are they gonna get that to work out..? After the initial 4 hours of class time, then is it going to be 12 hours of range time over 3 days..? People are going to have to take a week off work to jump through all the hoops..!

·
Registered
238 Posts
9mil..."and I could carry if I wanted, and make it through Illinois' ridiculous requirements..."

16 HOURS..! man... 4 days, with 4 hour classes... How are they gonna get that to work out..? After the initial 4 hours of class time, then is it going to be 12 hours of range time over 3 days..? People are going to have to take a week off work to jump through all the hoops..!
On one hand it will create a new industry to improve the economy, on the other hand, won't be many applicants because of the time demands. In Florida you can do it all at a gun show from finger printing to class time to shooting and be done in 3 hours or less.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I have no idea what they are thinking (well, yes I do-they want to make it difficult). I heard that they have ZERO infrastructure in place to implement even the most basic CCW programs. No money in the state, no budget for the programs, but they mandate an insane 16 hours to carry. My brother wants to do it, so I may go through the program with him if they don't want $1000 to get you approved and licensed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea what they are thinking (well, yes I do-they want to make it difficult). I heard that they have ZERO infrastructure in place to implement even the most basic CCW programs. No money in the state, no budget for the programs, but they mandate an insane 16 hours to carry. My brother wants to do it, so I may go through the program with him if they don't want $1000 to get you approved and licensed.
Normally I would never "hi-jack" a thread... But your the Original Poster...
Just from what I've heard, not a proof positive thing, but from a V E R Y reliable professional in the L.E. group, this is what's "on the table" as an opening proposition for the program (and also susceptible to change) ...
16 hours of instruction
$150.oo per person
The qualification shooting "might" be the same as would be required for any retired L.E. Officer:

I believe it's similar to this...

5 yards, draw, shoot two rounds, holster... within 5 seconds... "X" number of total rounds.
7 yards, same thing...
Then maybe 10 (?) yards (I can't exactly remember)

NOW LET ME SAY, this is just what I've heard, I can not be absolutely sure of any of this information being the FINAL word you will see, it will be literally months before this will be put into action, and, Wisconsin is looking awfully beautiful this time of year as well I might add...
Please don't quote this as exactly what WILL happen, but it can be used as a guide-line for practice I suppose, at this point anything will help.
My qualification/training pistol will be a 9mm, with NO modifications except night sights, barrel, and minor trigger adjustments. Totally factory appearing.
Hope this helps with your training for the up coming C.C.W. qualification day... :cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts