Glock Pro Forums banner

G17 magazine: how secure is the top round when not in the gun ?

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 · (Edited)
This is yet another of my noob questions, so please bear with me.

I loaded one of the mags that came with my G17, and I was surprised how easy it was to pop out the top bullet with my finger.

I have no clue how it's supposed to be in handguns - haven't used one since 20+ years ago. In rifle mags the rounds seem a whole lot more secure. In this one the tension is so light, I can move it by light finger force.

I am concerned that if I go anywhere (range etc) with a loaded spare mag in the trunk, a round or two may work themselves loose.

How do you transport them ?

Also, is it a good idea to keep the mag underloaded by 1 round ?

#2 ·
I transport my pistol ammo to the range in one of these:

...and load it into magazines using one of these:

Here's a video of the magazine loader in action:

#4 ·
When I go to the range, I carry a "range bag" from Midway USA and I have a "pistol pouch" for each of my pistols, also from Midway USA, that conveniently holds my spare ammo, magazines, bore snake and Uplula loader. I'd post links, but it's a pain on my iPad. Just check Midway's site, they are easy to find and very handy!

#5 ·
I have ran, jumped, been in fights, and pulled a 90lbs land shark off someone I would have just as rather watched it eat alive. Just like most cops in my area at the time all while wearing a Glock and having extra mags on my belt. I never had any problems loosing rounds. I hope you take this with the intent I mean it in and not as being mean but, STOP NIT PICKING IT AND GO SHOOT IT. The weapon system has passed numerous law enforcement agencies testing and has had things done to it you won't do to it or need it to do and kept running. (I have even seen one shot with another gun and still used.) You will feel much better in the end.

#6 · (Edited)
sfguard,

I absolutely don't think you or anyone else is being mean, you're all very helpful and patient. Neither am I nitpicking; it's just that when I get into something new to me I try to gather as much information as possible off the internet. After all a pistol is a machine, and before operating any machine I like to understand what is the most common way other people can break it - so I wouldn't. As a saying goes a fool learns from his mistakes and the wise man from somebody else's :). I wanted to pre-load the magazines before going to the range tomorrow (will first check with local sheriff's department to see if it's even legal, of course) and I didn't want the top round to work itself loose in the trunk. Again, I may be overanalyzing things and asking too many questions.

_jb

Thank you for the info. My G17 did come with a plastic loader and it does make it a whole lot easier.

#10 ·
HAHA! Ya, I here you there! New Glock mag springs are FIRM. That last 1-2 rounds is a huge pain. After about 10 loadings you should be able to load a full magazine by hand with a lot more ease.

#7 ·
On thing that hasn't been mentioned is a magazine holster or pouch. I have a double mag holster that I carry that has a fold over closer that velcos on and off so the mags can be carried secured by the closer or without so the mags can be retreived without having to snap a button to aid in quick reloads. I wear it most of the time, but especially at the range. I conceal carry a G30 and carry two spare G21 mags as back up. A good range bag is also a must have for any shooter as those ahead of me mentioned. I got mine from opsgear.com. I have at least a dozen Glock mags and the first round can be ejected quite easily, but I have never had an issue with one accidentally coming out of the mag.

#9 ·
Umma... Don't worry about asking too many questions... If no one asked any questions, this would be a pretty dull forum... Besides... Lots of people learn from reading these posts...

I use the MTM ammo boxes to carry my ammo because I mostly shoot reloads... I get them in baggies or a simple cardboard box and don't want them lying around until I shoot them. Just easier for me... If I go to a GSSF meet or something where I'll need a lot of ammo, I load the magazines and carry them loaded... For some reason I always load my rifle magazines before I go to the range... Not sure why....

I used the Glock magazine loaders for quite a while... They work fine... Once I got a chance to try one of the UpLula loaders I was hooked... They are really nice... Something to think about for the future, maybe...

#11 ·
The only time I've ever had any problems with a Glock magazine is when I had a magazine that had split lips. If/when that happens, take it apart and throw the mag body away. Keep the rest for parts.

#12 ·
I came back to look at this thread and was reminded of something that happened years ago when I worked at the PD. I stopped a car on a traffic violation and when I started to get out of my car, the butt of my pistol (I'm left handed and the gun was on my left side) struck the door frame and the buttplate came off the magazine and bullets went everywhere. I pulled what was left of the mag out of the gun and dropped it on my seat then took another off my belt and put it in the gun. Afterwards it was an Easter egg hunt to find bullets in the floorboard, under the seat and on the ground.

#15 ·
This is yet another of my noob questions, so please bear with me.

I loaded one of the mags that came with my G17, and I was surprised how easy it was to pop out the top bullet with my finger.

I have no clue how it's supposed to be in handguns - haven't used one since 20+ years ago. In rifle mags the rounds seem a whole lot more secure. In this one the tension is so light, I can move it by light finger force.

I am concerned that if I go anywhere (range etc) with a loaded spare mag in the trunk, a round or two may work themselves loose.

How do you transport them ?

Also, is it a good idea to keep the mag underloaded by 1 round ?
I definitely keep my G17 mag underloaded by one round to have a place to put the unchambered round. I figure that seventeen rounds (including the one in the chamber) is enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.