Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Gen4 is not new here but its new to me.

Glock sent me their latest evolution of the G17 (Generation 4) for T&E review.

External differences are apparent in comparison to the previous generations. The new rough textured frame (RTF) and enlarged magazine release are most obvious while the short frame (SF) now offers interchangeable backstraps.

Pistol specs:
Manufacturer: Glock Inc.
Model: G17 Gen4
Caliber: 9x19mm Para
Capacity: 17 + 1 rounds
Weight: 24.9 oz. (w/mag.)
Length: 7.875 in.
Height: 5.4375 in. (w/mag.)
Width: 1.243 in.
Barrel: 4.487 in.
Twist: 9.84 in. RH (mfr)
Rifling: 6 Hexagonal
Trigger pull: 5 lbs. 2.5 oz

reversible magazine release

Rough texture frame

Modular backstraps are easily installed

Another evolution is the dual recoil spring assembly. The two springs are to increase the life span of the assembly while supposedly reducing felt recoil.

Range report:

Velocity results:
Winchester 9mm 115 gr. FMJ…………….1110 fps
Black Hills 9mm 115 gr. JHP EXP…………1206 fps
Double Tap 9mm +P 115 gr. JHP…………1373 fps
Winchester PDX1 9mm +P 124 gr. JHP…..1199 fps

5 round groups were fired from a bench at 25 yards.

Winchester FMJ

Black Hills EXP

Double Tap +P

Winchester PDX1

Note: Targets' Bullseye - 2″ dia.; outer - 8″ dia.

Admittedly, I am and have been a Glock enthusiast for many years and found nothing wrong with the previous variant. I am accustom to and like the 3rd generation grip but the new rough texture surface has more bite without gouging and the adaptable modular backstrap is an improvement. There are many different hand sizes, so why not offer a multiple sized grip. I preferred the standard (small) grip which is integral to the frame. The medium (M) backstrap will give you the previous G17, 22, 31 generation size grip whereas the large (L) will feel more like a G20 or 21. During the range test my hold was secure and the pistol didn't shift under recoil. The reversible enlarged mag release is an improvement, it was easily manipulated and mags dropped free. As for the dual recoil spring assembly and the claim of reduced felt recoil, I didn't bring my 3rd generation G17 to the range for a side-by-side comparison but I couldn't tell a difference. The new spring assembly appears to be better built and more stout. Through 167 rounds the pistol experience no malfunctions. Good accuracy is what I have come to expect from Glock and this handgun didn't disappoint. I am very pleased with the evolution of the G17.

for full review - Lead-Slinger.com

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Good, thorough review... Nice pictures... Thanks for taking the time to post it...

I have a 4th gen 17 and love it...

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree, accuracy was superb on my gun and rivals that of custom 1911's I have owned and shot in the past. My gun is approaching a 1" gun with American Eagle amp. It feels better in my hands than older Glocks I have fired and of corse in 9mm it shoots so gently I couldn't tell anything about recoil that is almost non existent. The trigger takes some getting used to for fast shooting, but so do most all semi autos from the factory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a fan of the Gen 4's. I know they have seen issues with earlier models, but it is a great platform. Thanks for the post.
I read about early Gen4 issues, but mine had no problems. Since this review I have also tested the Hornady Zombie Max ammo without any issues and used it for a Viridian review i'm working on and it ran flawless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glock 17 gen 4 is is Perfect

I read about early Gen4 issues, but mine had no problems. Since this review I have also tested the Hornady Zombie Max ammo without any issues and used it for a Viridian review i'm working on and it ran flawless.
I bought a gen 4 Glock 17. The G17 shot like a champ. Reduced recoil allowed me fire quick and accurately. No hicups. No FTF or FTE. I love my GLOCK. I fired one clip. That's it! 17 rounds. I nailed the target. Well I pulled a few to the right. That was all I needed to know. I will shot more when I get more ammo. Academy was completely out of 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
I bought a gen 4 Glock 17. The G17 shot like a champ. Reduced recoil allowed me fire quick and accurately. No hicups. No FTF or FTE. I love my GLOCK. I fired one clip. That's it! 17 rounds. I nailed the target. Well I pulled a few to the right. That was all I needed to know. I will shot more when I get more ammo. Academy was completely out of 9mm.
Oh I was shooting hornady 124 critical defense.
Welcome to the Glock.pro forums...

Glock's 17 is a good shooter... the first Glock... Glad you're enjoying yours...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts