1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am not an open carry guy either, but I have nothing against it. I was actually surprised when I heard it was against the law in Florida.

How will the snowbirds & transplants from NY react to seeing uncouth ******** strappin' heat? It's going to be an uphill battle to get the law passed and it be accepted by the public, I wish them luck.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm all for being "allowed" to open carry, not that I would. Why shouldn't we be allowed to open carry though, goes with the right to bear arms in my opinion, it's not a "right to hide arms so you don't get in trouble", is it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am not an open carry guy either, but I have nothing against it. I was actually surprised when I heard it was against the law in Florida.

How will the snowbirds & transplants from NY react to seeing uncouth ******** strappin' heat? It's going to be an uphill battle to get the law passed and it be accepted by the public, I wish them luck.
Depends on what part of NY they are from.....Carrying firearms in full view of everyone is common around here in the north woods.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Open Carry would solve the problem of a Concealed Carry that someone got a sneak peak at.

I live in Florida, have a Concealed Weapon Licence, but I'm not sure I would open carry, although it would be more comfortable. How is it viewed in other states?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Nevada is open carry but one rarely sees anyone carrying. An interesting note, although Nevada is an open carry state, by state law, some localities have ordinances contrary to the state laws. Probably explains why one doesn't see many folks carrying.... I live in a community that has that type ordinance. The 'funny" thing is, it's an ongoing controversy here locally. I know someone that wanted to "know" whether he could open carry or not, so he went to the police chief, city manager and city attorney. All three told him that there was a local ordinance against open carry. But, when confronted with the state law, they all began to "waffle"... state law does trump... it is a potential hassle... we really don't like it..., so he calls the state attorney general. It took some time, but eventually he received a letter from the A.G. stating that"state law over rides local ordinance and 'no one in Nevada will be prosecuted for open carry.'" He is currently organizing a trash pick up day for his "Open Carry Club" for that town, inviting dozens of openly armed citizens to do a little clean up and see how the local powers react.

Rights vs Reason... There is verrrrry little need to open carry in the above mentioned locality. We may have the right, but shouldn't there be some reason? It's beyond my kin to decide right and wrong in this particular situation.... I understand the constitutional "right" but it seems like a dick measuring contest (pardon my crass language, but that best describes the reality) of two wrong headed groups. But, common sense cannot be legislated.
Arizona is also open carry, and one sees quite a few people carrying there. Doesn't seem to help with immigration issues though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Open Carry would solve the problem of a Concealed Carry that someone got a sneak peak at.

I live in Florida, have a Concealed Weapon Licence, but I'm not sure I would open carry, although it would be more comfortable. How is it viewed in other states?
It's legal here. I've really only seen open carry by LEO, and gun/pawn shop workers, or by someone in a wooded area or range. I've heard of cops in south Louisiana giving people a hard time. I've OC one time just for a short trip to get lunch, got some funny looks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Back when I lived in New Mexico, it was open carry, the only time I ever saw a gun, was out in the mountains.

I have a CHL, but have yet to carry, finding a good holster that I might like is hard, since the stores I have been to carry very little of them. I am a bit over weight, so finding something that will stay concealed, that I can wear is important. Looked at so many web sites, my computer is going nuts.

·
None
1,525 Posts
Is this legislation for open carry without the license/permit, or is it open carry allowed with the license/permit?

GA issues a Georgia Weapons License, which allows for open or concealed carry. The license is required for either mode.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If Alex Sink becomes governor, that bill will never see the light of day.
I don't think anyone on this forum will be voting for her... ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alex Stink?
Pleeeeese NO!
Her NRA rating is "F" while Rick Scott has an "A" rating.

...need I say more?

Florida Voters: Don't skip this election. VOTE!
It's amazing how much material the NRA sends out... I imagine they use a large portion of their dues for postage...

Rick Scott isn't perfect, but he's way better that Sink... IMNSHO...

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is this legislation for open carry without the license/permit, or is it open carry allowed with the license/permit?

GA issues a Georgia Weapons License, which allows for open or concealed carry. The license is required for either mode.
The article quoted above ia all that I have read.

It looks like they are talking about OC without a license... I'm not sure if it could be passed that way...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Back when I lived in New Mexico, it was open carry, the only time I ever saw a gun, was out in the mountains.

I have a CHL, but have yet to carry, finding a good holster that I might like is hard, since the stores I have been to carry very little of them. I am a bit over weight, so finding something that will stay concealed, that I can wear is important. Looked at so many web sites, my computer is going nuts.
It's still open carry here in New Mexico, but I've only seen the fellas at the gun shops actually open carrying.

·
Registered
431 Posts
It's still open carry here in New Mexico, but I've only seen the fellas at the gun shops actually open carrying.
it was weird to go into a restaurant, in a town like Chama or Cuba and see have the people in there with side arms.
But I would never go cutting wood, without one on my side.

·
Registered
112 Posts
SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.-- (a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.
(b) There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun. For the purposes of this section, "purchase" means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and "handgun" means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to the provisions of this paragraph.
(c) The legislature shall enact legislation implementing subsection (b) of this section, effective no later than December 31, 1991, which shall provide that anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of a felony.
(d) This restriction shall not apply to a trade in of another handgun.
History.--Am. C.S. for S.J.R. 43, 1989; adopted 1990.
Yikes. So if a bunch of morons in a chamber in the state house decide that all guns must be carried muzzle up...I guess you're outta luck.

Not much of a "right" in Florida.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think anyone on this forum will be voting for her... ;)
I hate to say it, but I sent my absentee ballot in voting for Sink. My mom asked me to vote for her since the other candidate was going to screw over the state workers, and she works for the state of Florida. Oops, I shoulda done some research, but what can you do when mama asks for a favor?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.