Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone explain to me where the "passenger terminal" of an airport is?

Fl Statute 790.06 (12)

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

When i read this, it sounds like Not past security or anywhere on the ground outside (flight line)

I doubt anyone here is a lawyer in FL but does anyone know for certain?

I want to know if i can carry into the "lobby" to see someone away.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Proper terminology of airport in respect to areas not used for the airplanes is actually an airport terminal. So pretty much anywhere you may go at an airport is the airport terminal. I recommend no stepping foot in an airport with a firearm on you. Now if I am not mistaken you can pack a firearm to be placed in the storage compartment for travel with you. It's best to call the company you wish to travel with and tell them your plans prior to showing up.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
The passenger terminal is the part of the airport beyond the security checkpoint. Prior to going through the TSA checkpoint no one is considered a passenger. Once going through TSA screening you are considered a passenger and are assumed to be boarding a airplane.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
As a concealed carry instructor I can tell you it is saying NO concealed carry in any building on airport grounds. What it was referencing was a "concealed firearm" that is inside a locked case as specified by TSA for the shippment of a firearm onboard an aircraft as a checked bag or parcel. In this case the firearm is concealed and locked utilizing TSA approved locking devices. In this manner they can inspect the firearm if they deem it required. Hunters, competition shooters are very used to this requirement.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for clarification! Bummer, seems like an airport "passenger terminal" I call "lobby" is a place you'd want good guys with guns..

Gun free zones are BS in most cases..

I feel a bit paranoid without my weapon in areas I know the bad guys know I can't have it.. Simple logic unless you're a politician..

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
As a concealed carry instructor I can tell you it is saying NO concealed carry in any building on airport grounds. What it was referencing was a "concealed firearm" that is inside a locked case as specified by TSA for the shippment of a firearm onboard an aircraft as a checked bag or parcel. In this case the firearm is concealed and locked utilizing TSA approved locking devices. In this manner they can inspect the firearm if they deem it required. Hunters, competition shooters are very used to this requirement.
That is not entirely true. An airport is like any other property. It isn't a federally controlled space until beyond TSA checkpoints. The airport itself is private property owned by an entity up to the area that is considered a controlled area. Airlines lease the space and the federal government controls the security and operation of the FAA regulated areas. Each entity controls and regulates their own spaces with different policies and regulations. These can change depending on the controlling management with the exception of the FAA and TSA regulated areas.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And right back to fuzzy :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
Best to not take a gun to an airport. That's my best advice. :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
What I said is the way Homeland Security quotes it, NOT TSA, they are boy scouts looking to become real. Things used to be completely different. My suggestion is that someone consult the current FAR's (Federal Airman's Regulations) and also the new Homeland Security Regulations. Any YES I agree they are a bunch of crap that really make things as cloudy as possible. And if you're really feeling "froggy" then take one into a airport terminal and see how they look at the regs.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your gun is OK where its at while you are driving to and from the airport. Once you step out of your vehicle (at any airport I have been to) it would and should for this post be considered the terminal. I suppose long term parking would be a little fuzzy but you have no place to lose the gun between there and the bag check so leave it in the car/ truck........Or at home.

If you are traveling with a sidearm its best to call ahead and find out exactly how each airport wants it to be checked and where.
With any airport / airline / flying in general........your rights as you know them aren't the same. The TSA, like the rest of the Fed agencies are perfectly OK in going behind the constitution as we see when they do body scans and hand searches of our bags with no cause or suspicion. I am sure this is all up for debate, but remember as it happens now, when you fly, your rights are reduced (not that its right or legal).

·
Registered
51 Posts
inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport,

The problem here is that this particular statute is for FLORIDA.

Florida is one of 7 (or six) states where carrying anywhere on the airport is illegal.

The key wording of the statute is..."passenger terminal AND sterile area...."

The good folks at FloridaCarry.org are working on it as we type and have been for quite some time.

With that said, MOST states allow CC in the public areas of the airport, just not in Florida.

AD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Greetings all.

Let me see if I can clear this up for you. There are three categories of buildings or areas where one cannot lawfully carry at a Florida airport:

1. Inside the sterile area. This is the area at and beyond the TSA checkpoints. It also includes any area restricted to passengers, such as out on the ramp in the area of the passenger aircraft. It does not include private aircraft, private aircraft operations building, or on the ramp where private aircraft are parked.

2. Inside the passenger terminal. This is the building housing the ticket counters, check-in, baggage claim (unless in a separate building), and departure area including the sterile area inside the terminal building. It includes the entire building, even if that building also houses parking garages or a hotel. It does not include curbside pick-up, detached parking garages, cell phone lot, air freight buildings, or any other building except as below.

3. Federal properties. This includes the control tower and it's parking lot, and any buildings containing NAVAIDS or communications equipment. Basically, if there are FAA employees in it, you can't carry there.

The exception to the passenger terminal restriction is if your are transporting your firearm(s) in your checked baggage, you may bring it into the passenger terminal so long as it is already properly packaged for shipment in accordance with TSA regulations.

The rule of thumb is, do not enter the doors of the passenger terminal while carrying your firearm, even if it's just to help grandma with her bags.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem here is that this particular statute is for FLORIDA.

Florida is one of 7 (or six) states where carrying anywhere on the airport is illegal.

The key wording of the statute is..."passenger terminal AND sterile area...."

The good folks at FloridaCarry.org are working on it as we type and have been for quite some time.

With that said, MOST states allow CC in the public areas of the airport, just not in Florida.

AD
Andy, you did fine up till the last sentence. The public areas of an airport include detached parking garages, cell phone lots, and the grounds in general. CC is permitted in these locations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Incorrect. There is no federal restriction on concealed carry except for federal property (control tower, its parking lot, and NAVAIDS/communications buildings), and within the TSA sterile area. Beyond that, the state or local government laws apply. For example, the City of Atlanta had a city ordinance barring carry inside the passenger terminal building. That ordinance was successfully challenged by Georgia Carry and the ordinance was repealed. The state of Florida has a similar statutory prohibition, and Florida Carry is working to have that section deleted from the prohibited places list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is not entirely true. An airport is like any other property. It isn't a federally controlled space until beyond TSA checkpoints. The airport itself is private property owned by an entity up to the area that is considered a controlled area. Airlines lease the space and the federal government controls the security and operation of the FAA regulated areas. Each entity controls and regulates their own spaces with different policies and regulations. These can change depending on the controlling management with the exception of the FAA and TSA regulated areas.
Not quite. I've never heard of any commercial airport that is private property. Most often, the property and buildings on it (except as you stated the federally controlled areas) are public property owned by the city or county in which the airport is located. That makes the airport public property.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Andy, you did fine up till the last sentence. The public areas of an airport include detached parking garages, cell phone lots, and the grounds in general. CC is permitted in these locations.
Rich,

Thanks. I knew what I "wanted" to say, I just messed it up!!

AD

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts