Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watauga Co Deputy Sheriff W. Mast Jr. was murdered a couple nights ago during while answering an open 911 call. I have been quite upset and didn't wanna post, but I visited ODMP this am and left my words.

He was a young man only 3 years into his career and leaving behind a wife and unborn child. The shooter was killed immediately by Masts cover officer, but at this point that is little conciliation. Watauga is not my home county, but the our Northern neighbor. I didn't know deputy Mast at all, but am still feeling a deep loss. It is quite hard to explain, but there is a reason we call each other brother, I didn't understand it until this morning.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that.... I wish there was something that could be said that would ease your torment.... I just don't have the words....God Bless and keep you and all those affected by this senseless act. Please post any info about any accounts set up to assist those he loved and were left alone too soon.

Stay safe...

Ed

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The THIN BLUE LINE understands your pain brother. We all learned to check each others six. May God allow him to rest safe in His loving hand.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You are the TRUE sign of a GREAT cop!!!!! You backup a fellow brother even one that is in another county. Thanks for letting me know

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
Sad situation...

Thanks for the service...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I hated to read about that in the paper and see the reports on TV.
I think we all feel that deep loss.
Do you know if he was related to the Mast General Store founders?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No clue, as I said, I didn't know Mast personally, Its just a neighboring county and I took it personally.

He was 23 and about to be a father, arrived on seen to an open line 911 call, you and i know he was only looking to help, wondering if it was just a prank maybe since that had happened at the residence before. Who knows, but he was there to help, I can't get the rawness of it out of my mind, at some point we are all going to have to go to every call as if its a swat call out and then when we see that there is no danger access the needed help. This is a shame because its going to make things harder on all Law Enforcement if people keep seeing up ambushes. Staging for back up (as wise as it may be) already lengthens response time, but that came about in my home county because of another ambush in 09 I think, deputy Klutz.

My wife asked me Sunday if this career is really what I want to be doing, "Damn right it is, more now than ever" The shooting in Colorado proves that there are always people that need our help, maybe now more so than ever before.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Please allow me to give some words to ponder. After my son got out of the Marines he indicated he wanted to do what I once did, become a peace officer. We talked at length, a talk like we had never had before. The one thing I told him was that the academy would teach him lots of things just as the Marine Corps had done but after all was said and done he only needed to remember one thing......go home to your family after every shift. The bad guys will always be out there and there were lots to take the place of the ones he put in jail, but go home. As you already know, it's a calling, it gets into your blood, into your very DNA, but go home.....your family will help to keep you grounded and balanced. Everyday you can see the worst that society can do to each other and to its self, it can change you, it can make you look at the world a whole different way. Just remember to let it go, love your wife, if you have kids get down on the floor and play with them, allow yourself to decompress and see a different part of life.....the good part.

Always watch your six and that of your partners and they will do the same for you. I learned a long, long time ago the best words you can ever say to another officer is that you trust him watching your back anytime and those are also the best words you can hear said to you. I'm personally proud of what you have chosen to do, be SAFE.....Shoot WELL, go home every day. Peace brother.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I just hate it for all of the family he left behind. LEO or not its always a tragidy for someone to perish in a manner that is unjustified. I am sorry this has caused pain in all the lives he has touched.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just hate it for all of the family he left behind. LEO or not its always a tragidy for someone to perish in a manner that is unjustified. I am sorry this has caused pain in all the lives he has touched.
Yeah, we can only hope that the unborn child will know that its father is a hero to all of us!

·
Registered
27 Posts
As Members or retired members of The THIN BLUE LINE we all understands your pain. We all learned to check each others six. May God Bless him into his Home and keep him in His loving hand.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My nephew is living with the memory of a fallen brother. They arrested someone for a domestic call. The family wanted him placed in a hospital for sic evaluation. The judge said no. One week later the other arresting officer went to the same home, same reason. He never made it out of the car, he took a slug to the head. My nephew was off that weekend and he still wishes he could have been there thinking it may have gone down different.

Keep strong, we, the public need you, thank you for your service!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
As always I hate to see stories like this. With a career spanning almost 20 years now unfortunately I have heard of more than my fair share of them. I have no words and it only gets harder with the next. Know them or not you know what they have been through and that they had a family that loved them they were trying to provide for as best they could. Rest in peace Deputy you watch is over. To the OP learn from it. Look at the tactics you use and ask yourself have I gotten too comfortable going to this house I have been at before? Learn from it. It is the best way to honor his memory.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Law Enforcement Officer or Fire Fighter being called home way too soon yet again. I am months late with this thread but wanted to offer my condolences to all the members here that are in the LEO family on behalf of the Volunteer Fire and Technical Rescue Family.

"There must be one hell of a fire and riot going on in Heaven right now cause God sure has been calling home too many too soon." Fire Chief Arrington (Rest in Peace Chief)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts