Glock Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets all,

I know we recently got a "G22 or G23" question (in http://www.glockforums.org/showthread.php/635-G22-or-G23-noob-needing-some-advice), and I've read that, but I think what I'm looking for is a little different so I figured I'd ask.

I've been spending time at the range with rental firearms, trying to get the right one down. My search has come down to what for me has been the more difficult choice. I'm sitting on the question of whether to purchase a full size or compact size Glock.

My search initially started as a general defense and target shooting firearm. I hadn't put much thought into everyday carrying, but I will admit that has changed and I expect I'll be carrying more often than not (as where I go allows). With this in mind I started renting a G19 at the range to see how it fit. I have also rented a G26, but while I don't notice any problems shooting it doesn't feel right in the hand and isn't as comfortable as I'd like.

The G19 felt alright and I've put some time into becoming more familiar with the size. The problem is that the 17 still feels more comfortable in my hand. I'm not bothered by the difference in capacities and the line of sight difference isn't an issue. It may just sound silly but the G17 just feels as if it fits better.

So, in accepting that I am leaning towards the G17, I wanted to see if anyone here carries a full size Glock on a daily basis. I guess I'm looking to see what experiences those that carry a full size pistol (Glock or otherwise) have had. What adjustments due to the firearm were really needed to make it work for you? Aside from a proper belt/holster setup what else did you need to have in place?

I understand that the G19 is easier to conceal and that carrying a G17 will mean my wardrobe may become a little looser than it is now, to lessen printing and possibly keep the firearm from playing peek a boo. And this doesn't mean I've written off the 19, but I'd like to try and get the benefit of the experience of those who are doing, or have done, what I'm considering.

Any advice from those successfully carrying a full sized pistol, or those that gave up, would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I carry a G17 everyday with a X300 light. The grip was chopped down to a 19 so its a tiny bit easier to conceal. The right holster will make all the difference in conceal ability and comfort.

I carry mine in a Raven Concealment Systems Light compatible Phantom. thin, modular and very comfortable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't speak for holster choices because I use a Clipdraw, but the Glock 22's weight & smooth finish makes it decently comfortable to carry against one's side; even while carrying with 5-round extensions by Arredondo and an 1.6 ounce tungsten guide rod, weight is typically not a problem & that's been speaking of 20 rounds of 135 grain to 180. I've found that even when I slouch back, such as when I'm at the computer, the gun is long enough to rest on the chair but not long enough to press against it and thus push the gun upwards thus causing me to have to readjust it when I stand back up so the need for a half inch shorter slide & barrel isn't on my priority list.

The only other concealed style I've tried with my Glock 22 is with my Blue Stone Concealment Vest which, admittively, just barely fits the chest holster pocket length wise. The only problem I seem to have with this style of carry is if I zip up the vest, which I really have no need to do so, the gun is pressed quite tightly against my chest but this may simply be because I have a BAD case of "Pigeon Chest". In sharp contrast, when the vest is unzipped, the vest naturally slips out & downwards to the point the Glock simply slips under my ribs quite comfortably; again, the weight is quite crucial while the vest is unzipped thus not giving way to sagging to one side(but having a magainze on the other side would balance this out if it were a problem)

I think that's all I can add but hopefully it at least explains my experience in detail enough to help in some sort of way.

·
Super Moderator
6,946 Posts
lhawkwing - I was in the same situation as you. I decided to get the 17 for a home defense and range pistol because it felt so comfortable in my hands. I'm still happy with my decision, but will probably get a 19 to carry...

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I carried a G37 for a few years and it wasnt to hard to conceal. Like you said your clothes will have to be a little loser than normal.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I used to carry an issued 22 on duty. When concealed, it does print a little easier, but you can pull off concealing it.

Do you carry IWB or OWB?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm not man enough to CC my 21sf. I conceal my 27 easily, but not the 21. It's just too much gun to keep from printing. My veiw is that if a gun that is carried concealed prints, then it isn't concealed & you might as well just OC it. Here in Georgia it isn't illegal to print, but some states will write you up as brandishing your firearm if it is printing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I find the Glock 19 to carry better than the Glock 17. One reason is the grip is not as long and is easier to conceal. I tend to bump the Glock 17 grip into things when open carrying in an OWB holster.

I have also noticed that the Glock 17 grip length can cause discomfort when sitting in certain chairs and seats. It's just long enough to dig into my bottom rib when I lean back into the chair.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Buy larger clothes and you can CC just about any Glock without printing, and people will say,"Man you've lost a bunch of weight"!

·
Registered
370 Posts
FWIW, I bought a 26 knowing it wasnt the most comfy gun to shoot... I am 100% used to it now after a couple thousand rounds and larger glocks feel funny to me now. My next gun will be a 30sf. I actually prefer the sub-compact Glocks now over the larger ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can and have carried a G17 in the midst of summer with no issues. The trick is the right holster, the Sparks VM-2, and a good belt. It is not quite as easy to conceal as a 1911, but it is a lot lighter.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can carry any size Glock in shorts and T shirt if you have the right Holster,Belt and clothing.I am wearing my G30 right now in shorts and T shirt.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
To the OP - Have you tried the Gen 4 19? It allows you to mess with the backstraps which might help fit your hand better. Might want to try that if you haven't already. Also, great choice to rent firearms first to see what's going to work best for you. Way to go!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry Full size daily and never had a problem with it......I'm 6ft 2in and And the g31 fits me perfectly,I even wear it while wearing basketball shorts and a Tshirt.I believe it's what fit the person,I personally couldn't see myself carrying anything but full size....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I tried to conceal a Glock 21 about a year ago, it was way too big and printed even with biggest shirts I owned. I don't have a problem with printing my 30 or 19.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry a Glock 22 everyday in humid hot weather. That makes it difficiult for me because it limits my garment options. The rule of thumb goes like this: the bigger the gun, the easier it is to shoot, the more difficult it is to concealed it and vice versa. Bottom line is it all depends of where you live, what do you do for a living and what the CCW rules are where you live.

I live in Nicaragua, where "printing" does not represents the kind of problem like in the US. The Glock 19 could be the middle point.

Taipan.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I carry a G19 most every day. The key is to wear shirts a size larger than you would normaly wear.
The plus side to this is everyone will say, "Damn, you've lost a lot of weight"!

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I have taken to carrying my G17 as of late and haven't had any issues yet. But then again, I really don't care if someone knows its there or not.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I carry the largest Glock I can conceal depending on the season. For the hot summer here in Texas it is my G36 or G33 carried appendix in a Remora holster with untucked shirt. For weather where a long sleeve shirt is appropriate, the sub compact or compact in a Conceal T Shirt with an overshirt. When I can wear a jacket or vest, then a full size in a Remora Holster carried at 4 OClock or I plan to carry in a Galco Jackass Shoulder Rig which is on the way.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I carried a Glock 21 for about 8 months until I bought a G22 and then until I bought my G30 mostly OWB. I am a big (round) guy. I can get away carrying a full size, because I am proportionate to the gun itself. It will still print, but it isn't that noticeable. Shirt selection is important with the full size guns. I find some shirts do a better job concealing than others. Oddly enough, cheap button up shirts from Walmart or Target seam to cover better than a good name brand dress shirt will. I think it is the way more expensive shirts are tailored to fit. With the right shirt, I can carry my 1911 with little or no printing. The darker the color shirt the less noticeable the printing will be too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts