Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy a set of ear muffs for the firing range. I used a set in my class last week that worked well. They had a fluid-filled liner that went around each ear and really kept the noise out, but I could still hear the instructor talk when he stood behind me.

Is there anything special to look for? I've seen some ear muffs with batteries to generate sound canceling or something like that. Is that needed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I have a set of the noise cancelling ones - I think they were only $25 or so?

I've always wanted to invent a set of em that incorporated glasses/goggles so that they don't lift the headphone part away from my ears.. :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
I can say honestly that it makes no difference what kind or brand of ear muffs you get. I prefer the electronic ones that amplify background noises and cancel out anything over 85db. I have seen them for as much as $75 and as little as $12. I use a pair that I bought from Harbour Freight Tools and costed $12 and they work as well as ones that I have used that cost $35-$40. Just depends on what you prefer, I dont think you can go wrong any way you go just as long as you wear something.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I like the electronic ones as well. That is about all I use anymore I got used to having them for competitions for safety reasons and to help hear instructions/buzzer and so on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can say honestly that it makes no difference what kind or brand of ear muffs you get. I prefer the electronic ones that amplify background noises and cancel out anything over 85db. I have seen them for as much as $75 and as little as $12. I use a pair that I bought from Harbour Freight Tools and costed $12 and they work as well as ones that I have used that cost $35-$40. Just depends on what you prefer, I dont think you can go wrong any way you go just as long as you wear something.
Sounds like I need to make road trip to the city and find a pair of them. They have a brand name? Thanks in advance..rydd2

·
Registered
226 Posts
the name brand is Western Safety, you can get them online at harbourfreight.com if you dont have one near you. I checked today and the price has went up to $14.99 but thats still a good deal. If you do get them there are 2 styles that you may get (just luck of the draw) but one kind doesnt have easy acess to the batteries, you have to take the facing off one of the muffs to change them out but still not a big deal cause it just snaps in and out

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I have a set I bought from wallymart and a set I picked up at a local gun shop. Nothin fancy but they get the job done.

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting a set of Peltor Ultimate 10 ear muffs. They are not battery powered, but do have a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 30 decibels. Amazon has them for $19.95, they were $29.95 in my gun shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97010-Ultimate-10-Hearing-Protector/dp/B000PW98WO

Another reason I liked the Peltor muffs is because they have a soft fluid/foam ring around the part that sits next to your head. I wear glasses and it makes a nice tight seal... plus, they are pretty comfortable.

I shot some larger caliber pistols tonight and the sound was louder than I was expecting. I wonder if the noise canceling ear muff would eliminate more noise than the NRR 30 muffs. I believe these are the Harbor Freight noise canceling ear muffs 99gsspyder was talking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/noise-canceling-electronic-ear-muffs-92851.html

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yeah those are the ones I was talking about. The biggest advantage to the electronic ones is you can wear regular ear plugs under them and turn the volume up on the muffs and you will be able to hear range commands etc. but almost hear nothing when firing you gun. Just think of it like this if your plugs have a NRR of 30 and so does your muffs you will have a NRR of 60 and still be able to hear people talking

·
Registered
204 Posts
That is probably what I looking for, something to cut out the sharp bang but help me hear commands And at an economical price. I have got to save what little hearing I have left. Lost hearing on my right ear when I was a kid and suffered some lose in my left ear due to high pitch sounds over the years. Ear protection is a must for me to save what's left.(I also use ear plugs under the muffs).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mission drives the gear. It will depend on what your shooting and how. With shooting pistol it really doesnt matter what i grab it'll work.

Ive been on shooting lines in classes and bumped my ear muffs with the stock of my carbine and broke the seal, which really sucks when the guy next to you is doing a full mag dump with a hellacious break.

So i'll usually run the Sonic defender plugs for carbine. But it is nice to have electronics so you can hear the instructor or my students without having to take them on and off.

So I guess it all depends on what your doing.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
How do Sonic Defenders stand up? Would ya'll recommend them over squishy foam plugs?

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a heads up on the Peltor Ultimate 10 that I ordered. After I got it home I noticed the following in the fine print on the back of the package.

Peltor Packaging said:
Earmuffs must be regularly inspected for cracked or worn parts and replaced as needed. Typical life for foam cushions is 6 months.
Six month life for the cushions isn't that long.

Since the Sonic Defenders have electronic cancelling and are cheaper than the Peltors, I would go withe Sonic Defenders if I had it to do again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I buy the soft foam squeeze and stick it in your ear plugs. They take away 32 decibels while none of the others take away nearly that much. When the box says it blocks loud noises above 85 decibels, that means it starts working at that threshold, but doesn't block that much noise. If I have the choice, I'll wear the soft ear plugs and muffs at the same time. The noise blocking doesn't add together, but it helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.