Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out with a doing a .25 cent trigger job to my 27, which all turned out fine. So while I was in the middle of the trigger work, I got to looking at the slide release and I decided I wanted to do a little custom work to it. So the oppses begin.

I started with an extra slide release and cut half the outside tab off and was trying to carefully bent out the tap so I could catch it a little more with my thumb. Well I was having trouble bending it, so I set it on the corner of my vise anvil and lightly tapped it with a small ball peen hammer. The rest of the tab broke off.

So on to extra slide release number 2. I decided not to cut any off this time. I clamped the tab in the vise and slowly and carefully started to bend it out with a pair of pliers. Then it snapped right it two.

You would think I'd have stopped there, but my stubbornness kept me going and I took the slide release out of my 27 and put it in the vise. I spent a couple of minutes heating it with a torch. Again I started to slowly and carefully started to bend it. Crap, it snapped again. I then decided to just take the extended release out of my 22 comp gun and put it in the 27.

I was looking at the broken slide releases and decided to try and weld the tab back on to the body for a unique extended release for my comp gun. I set it so the tab comes straight out. It doesnt bother me when its in the holster nor does it get caught on my shirt. And it works great on reloads, I dont have any problems at all hitting the release tab with my thumb.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
Well, I don't know what to say really....I hope you like it. Sounds like it was starting to get kind of expensive. I do like the finish on that Glock though. Turned out nice

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I too am really happy with how the finish turned out. Well, it didnt bother me too bad, I got all the extra slide releases and the extended slide releases included with my 22 when I got it.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I gota agree with sfguard on this. I really dont know what to say.
Put it up on GT Boomer someone there will know what to say

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
Congratulations on your mod, Boomer. You must have quite a setup in your garage... I assume you have a TIG welder?

The only thing I might be afraid of is that the welding might have weakened the slide release... Wouldn't want the slide release to break off at an inopportune time...

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, yes I do have a nice setup out in my garage. I just wish I could TIG though. I did it with a 9 year old Harbor Freight special 110V wire feed. You are right, I am concerned about it breaking, if it does in a match I'll just deal with it. Then I will just bite the bullet and lay out the cash for the Sure Touch extended release.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OK .. two questions. What's wrong with a Glock extended slide stop and do you use the thing as a release?

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK .. two questions. What's wrong with a Glock extended slide stop and do you use the thing as a release?
Nothing wrong, I only had one and ended up putting the release that was in my 22 in my 27. Yes I use it as a release, I prefer it over releasing the slide by hand in a match.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.