Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having an issue during range time today. I was doing holster presentation drill with one round in the gun then reloading drill from a magazine pouch when the gun goes dry.

The issue I was having was that some of my mags would not drop freely so i would have to strip the mag before i inserted a new magazine. As this would happen, I would mark what ever magazine would not drop freely. After shooting i had 2 magazines out of 5 that had the same problem. After looking at the magazines i noticed that the two that i had an issue with had the metal insert when is engages the magazine catch/release.

Btw, I was shooting from a G35 3rd gen and my magazines are all factory Glock magazines.

Has anybody had any issues like this? I heard that some Glock magazines work in the new SF Glocks and not the older ones, is this true?

·
Registered
26 Posts
First generation G17 mags were designed to NOT drop free when empty. American shooters complained and future mags dropped free when empty.

I purchased a NIB G23 today and experienced failures for the mag to drop from the pistol. I replaced the mag catch/release with an OEM extended model which solved the problem.

This G23 will be a concealed carry piece for me and I do think that the OEM extended release is a little long for this prucpose and have concerns that it may be accidentally depressed when carried in a body hugging concealment holster. Larry Vickers ( www.vickerstactical.com ) is offering an aftermarket part that bridges the gap between the two factory options.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Well the SF GLOCK are the .45ACP and 10MM Autos.

When inspecting, did you see any big nicks or burrs of plastic. Look at the bottom edge of the cutout area where the mag release would catch, sometimes plastic gets mashed out.

Magazines for the SF models are specific in that they have a cutout of plastic in the front face of the plastic to with with the ambidextrous mag release. Thus if there isn't that cut out in the magazine, it wont work in an SF model.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Larry Vickers ( www.vickerstactical.com ) is offering an aftermarket part that bridges the gap between the two factory options.
I might have to try it out. Is this supposed to correct the fact the magazine will not drop freely or just be the medium between an extended mag release and a standard release?

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Check the mag release. I believe JL had the same issue and replacing the catch resolved the issue.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I might have to try it out. Is this supposed to correct the fact the magazine will not drop freely or just be the medium between an extended mag release and a standard release?
i have had the viker's release on my g19 for some time now. it's ok. nothing earth chattering. it is extended slightly more than the stock, but not long as the extended one, so it won't drop the mag when you lay the gun flat on a table and press on it. it also holds the mags looser in the gun than the stock one, which i'm not crazy about but has never caused a malfunction. it's edges are rounded/bevelled.

the issue of drop free glock mags pops up on forum from time to time. due to manufacturing variances, a small minority of the newest design mags will in fact not drop free. google the issue, you'll find that you're not the only person to experience this issue with a new glock.

call glock, they might let you send the mags back to them for replacement. not sure how they handle it, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
i have had the viker's release on my g19 for some time now. it's ok. nothing earth chattering. it is extended slightly more than the stock, but not long as the extended one, so it won't drop the mag when you lay the gun flat on a table and press on it. it also holds the mags looser in the gun than the stock one, which i'm not crazy about but has never caused a malfunction. it's edges are rounded/bevelled.
I too have a Vickers mag catch in one of my GLOCKs. Like the Don said ... it's nothing Earth shattering but I like it. It isn't intended to correct anything other than shape and size ... user friendly issues. It wasn't intended to have anything to do with your drop free issue.

WRT the part I underlined; I have heard others mention their Vickers mag catch didn't fit correctly. I think this is what is causing your wobble. Most say they just had it replaced by the vendor and the replacement fit well. I think it's a tolerance/spec issue on the vendor's end.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spoke to Glock over the phone. I was amazed that I actually talked to a live person on my 1st call (1st time contacting Glock btw). I spoke to Alex in tech support. He had me inspect the metal insert on the top back side of the mag where the round indicator is. He then asked me if its a square cut or a U shape, mine are square cut. He then told me to send them in and they can check out the magazine and upgrade or replace it if needed. Turn around time is no longer that 2 weeks possibly faster. He did mention that Glock does not guarantee that their magazines will drop freely.

I am not clear what this metal insert at the top of the magazine is supposed to do. I was under the impression that the cut outs on the side of the magazine effect the mag release. Could a Glock armorer shed some light on this aspect for me?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that it is more an issue with the mag release itself. As soon as I replaced the stock one with the Glock factory extended release, all three of my mags dropped free. I am going to inspect the catch to see if there is a burr or something to it. I do find the extended one to be a little long for ccw. I have a buttload of them in my stock and they are inexpensive so I may spend a little time whittling on one to see if I can achieve the "perfect" length.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a " newbie" on this site, but a happy one, as the info is so valuable! I have a Gen 3, G26 and I've accepted the fact, that the mags not dropping "easy" after depressing the mag release is normal, wrong! I'm amazed how many of the Glock users can drop the mags with the shooting hand, it's been impossible for me to do that. I can only perform this operation with the strong hand. Thanks for the info.. All my Sig mags drop easy and quick :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.