Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really loving this forum, gives me a lot to think about. Sooooo, a lot of questions come up, too. With all the holster posts bantered about I've been reconsidering my whole rig. I have a Serpa holster, Comp Tac double mag pouches and a not-so-specialized 1.25" leather belt. I don't think it's too floppy or flimsy, but maybe not stiff enough(?).

I noticed how there are a whole bunch of belts out there: nylon, kydex reinforced, thick-leather belts designed for carry. Can people mention what they use and why one would recommend one of these specialized belts? Trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $$

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
All I use is a good quality thick leather belt usualy 1.5" wide. I find them at local leather shops for around $18.00 give or take waist size. I find they stand me well, give great service and I have four I still use for open carry (Wisconsin has no CCW).

·
None
1,480 Posts
The belt is probably the most overlooked component of a complete carry system. People will go out and spend good money on a pistol and a nice holster and then hang it off of a crappy belt.

I have a couple of leather dress belts that are made by a holster maker specifically for carry. On a daily basis, I use a Galco Matrix belt. This is a synthetic belt that looks decent and performs very well. Keep in mind that on a daily basis I am carrying not only a pistol and mag, but I also carry a set of cuffs, two cell phones and my work keys on the belt as well as my badge. The belt supports them just fine, and it works well as an under-belt when I wear my duty rig.

I also have several instructor belts from various companies, but I prefer the Galco Matrix (see my inexpensive quality thread).

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use a Beltman 1.25 bull hide gun belt. Without the kydex insert because with a beltman belt, you dont really need it unless you are carrying a huge gun and multiple large mags. They are expensive, but you really do get what you pay for. Hand made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
My need and use of a carry belt is totaly diffrent from JL. I carry for protection not as LEO. I also carry a cell phone and my leatherman and 2 spare mags.I have no belts meant to be LEO grade, but If you are not LEO I stand up to my post 100%

·
None
1,480 Posts
My need and use of a carry belt is totaly diffrent from JL. I carry for protection not as LEO. I also carry a cell phone and my leatherman and 2 spare mags.I have no belts meant to be LEO grade, but If you are not LEO I stand up to my post 100%
My being an LEO really has nothing to do with it. I'd use the same belt. I'd just have less to carry.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Carrying with a belt made to withstand the added weight of your equipment will really make a big difference. Most leather belt makers use two pieces of leather, with grains crossed to make sure it's strong enough to hold the weight without sagging. One way to test a good leather belt is to Hold it at the buckle end and see how it loops over. A good belt will have a long swooping loop and be very stiff. A typical belt will drop directly down and just hang.

I also use a 5.11 belt similar to a Wilderness belt. It's a fabric belt interwoven with several layers that adjust using tension through the buckle rather than a peg through a hole like a typical buckle. This offers infinite adjustment through my waist size so if I have a large meal, I can loosen it just enough while continuing to keep it tight enough to support the weight.

There was a big difference when I carried a full-size all steel 1911, two mags, a light, etc.. It still makes a difference now that I am carrying a GLOCK that weighs almost half the weight. I've had or been a part of tons of conversations about people having difficulty carrying a firearm and almost always, it ended up being a belt issue. I consider it to be a component of the tool. You need to have a good belt, a good holster and a good firearm for everything to work perfectly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've got carbon fiber reinforced belt coming from Concealment holsters.com. It was around $40. It's made to support the weight of a full size handgun and has a removeable buckle in case you wanna customize it. Should be here soon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dang JL, you cause me to spen money when you make posts. I looked up the Galco Matrix belt, looks like a must have, and it's only 24.00 on LApolicegear.com. See, you made me change my .40's out for 9mm's after causing me to do ballistic research, what's next?

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
Dang JL, you cause me to spen money when you make posts. I looked up the Galco Matrix belt, looks like a must have, and it's only 24.00 on LApolicegear.com. See, you made me change my .40's out for 9mm's after causing me to do ballistic research, what's next?
Yeah, this guy is bad news for a wallet. Between him and Volgrad, I usually stay broke. It's much worse for me as they are both close and I actually have to see them as well. :)

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
I don't have dedicated gun belts ... I just only buy gun belts now.

I wear Wilderness Tactical 5 Stitch, The Beltman, TT Gunleather, and A&G Custom Gun Leather.
That's because your CRAZY about this stuff. LOL

I saw a basket FULL of NICE holsters from various manufacturers just sitting in his garage today. And these are the one's he hasn't sold! If you want to know about a specific holster manufacturer, Vol is probably the guy to go to. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That's because your CRAZY about this stuff. LOL

I saw a basket FULL of NICE holsters from various manufacturers just sitting in his garage today. And these are the one's he hasn't sold! If you want to know about a specific holster manufacturer, Vol is probably the guy to go to. :)
You forgot about the giant box of magazines I had to move for you to see the holsters. lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.