Votes: 7 29.2%
  • don't compete

Votes: 3 12.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Doled out a little advice recently so I'm back to asking questions. For people that compete, how many use what they carry-- be it concealed, open, etc?

Competition has been really fun for me, but there's a whole range between open division in USPSA to stock pistols. "Gamer" to "practical". Since a lot of the guns I see in the open division remind me more of light sabers than what you'd carry every day, I'm wondering how many people have dedicated competition gear vs. just using their carry weapons and holsters.

Forgot to contribute what I do. For now, I mainly shoot in competitions, but sometimes carry in the car only. I still need more time to take more classes before I go to every day carry.

·
Premium Member
2,780 Posts
I have some dedicated competition pistols/Rifles and so on. But I also like to use my duty or off duty pistols also. Anything to keep the practice level high with them also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm only shooting IDPA and GSSF right now. I use my carry gear/weapon(s) as I do this more for me and not to compete. I don't really have a desire to be proficient with a safe queen.

Rifles are a different story as I don't carry them, so anything rifle related I might enter would be more for fun.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am a carry guy first and only started shooting competitions recently, GSSF and IDPA. Based on that ... I mostly use the same stuff I carry for competitions ... sort of.

Guns ... For my first GSSF match I had to borrow a G17 from the Chief. I had a pair of G19s at the time but both had been custom stippled so they were DQ'd. I knew in advance so it wasn't a big deal. I loved the GSSF match so much I had to go shake up my GLOCK line-up again so I didn't have to borrow guns to compete. I shoot multiple divisions at the GSSF matches now so the G19 I use for AmCiv and the G26 for Sub are both carry guns. The G34 I plan to shoot in the AmComp isn't really a carry gun. I don't have an problem with carrying it ... it's just too big and I have other options.

For IDPA I shoot the same guns as GSSF. I will prob focus on the G34 for now but might alternate my G19 on occasion.

Holsters ... It depends really. I have always been an IWB guy for my carry needs but have recently been carrying OWB with a cover garment more than IWB. The OWB holsters I use for carry are the same I use for competitions.

Mag pouches ... I use different pouches for carry vs comps. For carry I use a single Dale Fricke pouch that carries in the horizontal position. This is more concealable and more comfortable than anything else I've ever tried. For comps or classes I use a traditional double pouch or two traditional single pouches.

PS
I don't see myself ever getting really into the competition circuit where you have race guns, dedicated equipment, etc. I shoot comps because they are fun. I shoot them because they make me focus on shooting better. I shoot them to have a hobby.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I selected the alternating option in the poll simply because my G34 currently has a competition trigger in it from GlockTriggers.com, but I would actually feel comfortable carrying it if need be as I kept the factory springs and haven't played with the set screw any.

I also will add a 19C at some point specifically for the competition class of GSSF and a local match that I shoot. I will put the same sights on it that I use for my carry pistols, but it won't be a front line carry pistol.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yes, and I have one I would carry but use mainly for competitions.

·
Registered
434 Posts
IDPA yes with my carry rig (Kimber Pro Carry II and Crossbreed Holster)and standard cover gament....no vest. I use it to sharpen my "real world" skills with practical apllication. I hear it all the time when I'm at a new range, guys give me advice to buy a Vest and Bladetech or Fobus holster. I like to train for life situations.......But I do have a dedicated Glock 34 for comp as well. (IPSC)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.