Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fun and challenging, sooo much more fun than typical day-at-the-range. I didn't even know our indoor range held these.

This was put on for D-Day today by a local Marine post, which I learned is the 3rd largest in the country.

We did hostage scenario, strobe lights, moving, changing mags on the move etc. Loved it!

Took me a round to get used to their target, as center mass is just around the vital area, in a circle, not the oval target / center mass I'm used to.

We did 5 exercises and the I have to say, having 22 guys with guns running through 5 stages was a bit of a safety concern, but I felt comfortable the whole time. Very good protocols.

And the challenge of performing / competing against the clock and with 22 guys watching you just really amps you up, you're nervous at first, but then you're all focused on the next round.

Lots of value in that it REALLY helped me find my sweet spot between going for a faster shot and taking a second to make a better shot.

I finished the 5 exercises coming in 11th out of 22, so right in the middle. I'm quite happy with that as most were former or current Marines and a small handful of guys that had been doing IDPA. A few of the old Marines had brought their kids or I guess grandkids to do the match with them and that was neat to see.

Anywhos, if haven't done this before it's a whole new dimension to the shooting game, I'm hooked and am excited to learn it's such a well organized group with regular events.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
It's good to hear about that IDPA match, and that you enjoyed it.
Take at look at USPSA if there are any matches in your area, they are just as much fun.

Chris

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's good to hear about that IDPA match, and that you enjoyed it.
Take at look at USPSA if there are any matches in your area, they are just as much fun.

Chris
Thanks ... in your mind, is IDPA and USPSA different flavors of the same activity, or do you prefer one versus the other and why would that be? I imagine a lot comes down to the dedication and organization of the guys in the trenches running the events.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Thanks ... in your mind, is IDPA and USPSA different flavors of the same activity, or do you prefer one versus the other and why would that be? I imagine a lot comes down to the dedication and organization of the guys in the trenches running the events.
I'm a USPSA competitor (well, participant, anyway), shooting two matches a month for most of the year for five years. USPSA is a shooting game, pure and simple, and it's really about speed. Accuracy only takes you so far.

I've only watched two IDPA matches, so all I have is an impression, and that is that IDPA is much more defense-oriented, more realistic (draw from concealment, shoot from cover when it's available, don't drop magazines with ammo in them). I am not sure how important speed is overall in IDPA, but I plan to learn. I will enter my first IDPA match at my gun club this summer.

Other Members shoot in both, let's hope they see this thread and can fill in more about IDPA.

Chris

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Chris ... I'll look forward to trying out a USPSA. I think your characterization of IDPA being more defensive, real world gun fighting is correct, given the talks before and after the event by the head guy. I would say the goal is to better prepare the typical CCW'er.

Speed counts in the IDPA but I have no idea if more or less than USPAS. With the IDPA event I did if you are out of center mass (an 8" circle, so that seems fairly "generous") you get penalized in time. So, you can choose to shoot fast but you'll get dinged if you creep out of the center, of slow down a bit and help ensure a bit more accuracy. It forced me to find my "sweet spot" that balances speed & accuracy. I would def say it's not "accuracy" focused, because anywhere in the circle is as good as being dead center in the circle.

Your final score is a a "time adusted" score that uses your raw time and then adds addt'l time based on inaccuracy.

Yep, any dual USPSA & IDPA guys want to share your perspectives?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
USPSA focuses more on speed; in other words you can shoot fast, score lower points and still win just because you finished the stage really quickly. Round counts tend to be higher per stage and per match. Last time I shot one, there was about 24 rounds per stage and a lot more reloads.

IDPA tends more to more accurate shooting-- you're more liable to lose more points if you shoot overly fast. Round count tends to be lower and you tend to reload no more than once. Twice is a lot more rare for double stack shooters. Round count for a given string can be at most 18.

Stage designs and running a course of fire are also different. USPSA tends to give you more latitude-- you can shoot targets in much different orders and reload where you think works best for you. You might find different shooters go through the stage and tackle targets in different orders. IDPA is more contrained-- you have to shoot targets in a specific order, reload in specific areas, etc; you have to follow a "recipe" more closely than USPSA.

So, there are differences between the two. They're both fun for different reasons, and I wouldn't consider either to be "defensive training". That said, IDPA does have a bit more element of tactics than USPA-- you learn to use cover, for example, in IDPA. In USPSA, cover is used very infrequently-- you tend to shoot more in the open, or through ports.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
^^^ Thanks for that. Nice to have both groups / events to choose from ... helps with the calendar when responsibilities bump into fun time.

EDIT ... Great, link, read in it's entireity. Each has it's own unique flavor, but I guess at this point I'll start in with IDPA since I've made contact with those folks. I do like the more defensive nature of their courses. That said, if USPAS has an event nearby, I wouldn't hesitate to participate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Very cool OP. I have never competed in anything like that, except for in the Marines...that was ages ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts