Glock Pro Forums banner

Defensive practice

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  glocktoter 
#1 ·
Due to my old eyes (79) , shakey hands and not so good balance , I have changed my way of defensive practice and no longer use paper targets.

I scatter fired shot shells on the berm and shoot at them at different points from the hip up to chin level at 3-10 yds. from the draw and one hand only .
I hit a few , move a few , miss a lot but always close enough to defend myself from them.

YES , I do pick them up afterward and save them for the next time.
I mostly use my G19 and a lot of times with a AA .22 kit on it. The last two times I used it with the .22 kit.
210 rds. the first trip with Rem. G.B. and had one dud rd. that fired after being turned a little. Plus started a blister on my middle finger.
Second trip with the kit I fired 210 Mini-Mags and had one failure to feed( nose caught on top of the chamber) and a worse blister. The trips were only a couple days apart.

I have been working on under cutting the trigger guard to cure the blister problem and it has worked until I tried to draw too many times on these two trips.

You might ask why 210 rds. but I have 21 magazines and at 10 rds. ea. that I load the night before my trip.
Several years ago I found a guy that had a bunch of new ones he wanted to dump and I bought them at a good price. Also in the deal I got 4 mags for a 17 kit and 1 25 rd. mag.
I only used them enough to know they work and set them aside as I am pretty tired after 210 draws and shoot.

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope that I will still be shootin' at that age Sir.

Congrats on finding a system that works for you and thnkx for sharing the story.

#5 ·
Have you tried any of the newer scatter targets that make a bright, contrasting color when you hit them? If you are hitting shot shells on a regular basis, you should certainly be able to hit a 12" round version of this target at any defensive distance and they are much easier to see. While you have a few years on me, my eyes are getting worse as well and these have become very popular for me.

#6 ·
Yes I have used those targets but I much prefer to scatter 12-15 shells on the berm at different levels and distance and never shoot the same one twice unless I double tap which is seldom.

I am going to try to work down to empty .22 LR hulls as there are plenty of them left on the range . (LOL )

Just joking , I can't even be sure of hitting a basketball with every draw and shoot as I move around.

My eyes are not my worse problem . The hand shakes hurt me the most and that is why I draw and shoot fast.

#8 ·
That's really impressive! Keep it up!

I wouldn't worry about shooting all the mags you've got loaded every time. Starting to get a blister may be an indication your grip is changing as you get tired.

I've noticed I can pick up some bad habits if I keep shooting once tired. No reason to feel pressure to shoot them all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Before under cutting the trigger guard on my G19 I would get a blister in as little as 50 draws. I thought I had it cured after the under cut as I could draw as much as a 100 times and no blister.
But 210 draws at a time brought the blister back.

#10 ·
I posted about shooting used shot shells scattered on the berm and shooting from the draw one handed.

Now a friend gave me about 50 full man sized silhouette paper targets and I want to see how my other shooting at the shells compare and what level I have reached.

All shots will be from the draw and at different levels . 1/4 hip , 1/2 hip , 3/4 hip and nose level.
What should each distance be for the different levels and what kind of groups should I expect to be considered reasonable ?

BTW - I am not an expert , just an old guy trying to improve my defensive skills.

#11 ·
For that type of shooting I would suggest 7yds be the longest target with most being 3-5yds. It's my opinion that beyond 7yds the gun can be drawn to a standard 2 handed grip and sights used. Shooting from the hip for defensive purposes - anything center mass works. That would be about a 6"-8" circle. Being you're already hitting shot shells one handed from the hip, I can't imagine your not far more than proficient enough for any silhouette standard.

#12 ·
As stated in my post

I hit a few , move a few , miss a lot but always close enough to defend myself from them . Also this

I am going to try to work down to empty .22 LR hulls as there are plenty of them left on the range . (LOL ):)

Just joking , I can't even be sure of hitting a basketball with every draw and shoot as I move around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.