Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

How do you plan on dealing with the authorities after you had to shot someone in a self-defense situation?

Have you set up a relationship beforehand with a lawyer, whom you plan to use for legal defense? If yes, how did you go about selecting a lawyer? I certainly do not know one and I am not sure if I want to refer the yellow pages for such services.

I know from fellow members on this forum that many folks (at least in the Atlanta area) do meet up for IDPA, GSSF matches. These activities certainly help improve ones pistol-handling skills. Do you think it might be worthwhile (if there is sufficient momentum) that we organize a periodic or one time meeting with a local experienced lawyer who can conduct seminar/training on dealing with legal issues arising out of a self-defense shooting situation. Probably this lawyer can update us on recent case laws or views of the local prosecutor.

I came across this website www.armedcitizensnetwork.org Is anyone a member of this organization? Any review feedback about this organization?

I ask these questions because I have decided to carry and have purchased a G26. I will be attending a training class next month that covers skills required for concealed carry. But as I understand these courses concentrate on shooting skills and may fall short on the legal consequences of pulling the trigger and dealing with the aftermath/ liability.

Any guidance based on personal experience will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This might be conversation better to have face to face with some of the folks you get to know in your local area. No one wants to be misconstrued as giving legal advice in a public forum.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I did sign up for the Armed Citizens Network. It's spearheaded by Marty Hayes, who runs the Firearms Academy of Seattle. He's also a J.D. I got 3 DVD's in the mail which had some useful lectures-- a legal analysis of the civilian use of deadly force, handling the aftermath of a self defense shooting (including interaction with police), and then how a deadly force incident is defended legally. Massad Ayoob is in the 2nd DVD, which is about 40 min long. Their monthly e-letters are pretty useful also, but I think you can access that without a membership.

I haven't had to use their referral service so I can't comment on that part of their network.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My plan is this ....

1. Obtain professional firearms training. Two fold benefits ... I become a better shooter/gun fighter -and- if I ever end up in court hopefully this will show I am a responsible firearms owner.

2. Obtain the name of an attorney in my area that specializes in this type of thing. Ideally, you would contact this attorney in some capacity to introduce yourself. He may or may not want to be "on retainer". At a minimum make sure you have his phone # in your phone and make sure your significant other does as well. That way if you can't make the call they can do it for you.

Other than this the main thing is to be responsible. A good shoot is a good shoot.

I am PM'ing you a link for someone you need to get to know in ATL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I joined a network namely "Concealed Handgun License Protection Plan"(www.chlpp.com) They are supposedly in all 50 states but are based in Texas. In case of a self defense situation they give you a card with phone # you can call 24/7 365 which will provide you with legal assistance should you need it.They will pay for everything up through the Grand Jury process. I have called their regular customer service number a couple of times and have gotten a prompt response from the CEO(Rick Mackey) which I think is a good sign just in case you need their service involving a critical incident.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, i am a member since September 2010. I started really reading through there website since yesterday after i posted my original post. It has a lot of information primarily related to concealed carry issues, concealed carry gear, weapon presentation drills, real life stories, etc. Their bi-monthly magazines are a good read as well. They have some famous people in this industry on their advisory board eg. Ayoob, Hayes, Pincus and others.

You can join for a few months and if it does not meet your expectations you can always cancel your membership and get a refund.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have never had much interest in those kind of "groups". I think they are a bit of a gimmick in that you can find most of the info yourself if you spend some time doing your own research and forming your own opinions.

By information I am referring to the stuff BZL mentioned in the previous post (CC issues, gear, drills, stories, etc.). That's what online forums and blogs are for, right? You are probably more likely to get unbiased info online too. I know there are many places online where folks have discussed ad nausea what you should or shouldn't do if you have to pull the trigger.

Just like any group I am sure they have a "preferred" network of member attorneys, etc. Are they the best or are they just the ones that signed on for the guaranteed coverage?

Lastly, what are you really getting for your $? I suspect you are getting information that is readily available online and in books, access to a "list" of attorneys in your area that may or may not be the best, and "some" assistance with legal funds ... maybe.

No thanks. I'll do my own research, form my own opinions, and take my chances.

Again, seek professional training and stay safe. A good shoot is a good shoot.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Like VolGrad I've looked at a lot of these sites and saw no value, except for info that was already out there. My suggestion, as I originally posted, would still be talk to someone in your area, who knows the legal climate and what you might face, even in a good shoot you will more than likely be sued in civil court. Those big names on their advisory panels aren't going to show up in court for you. Unless, of course, you can pay their incredibly exorbitant fees as expert witnesses.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
... even in a good shoot you will more than likely be sued in civil court. Those big names on their advisory panels aren't going to show up in court for you. Unless, of course, you can pay their incredibly exorbitant fees as expert witnesses.
Agreed. This is kind of what I was getting at though. A good shoot will likely mean no criminal charges but you will likely be sued by the family of the injured/deceased. People sue for EVERYTHING now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.