Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RCBS rock chucker, and .45 dies. I reloaded some about 20 years ago. How much does it cost you guys to reload per 50 rounds. Haven't got a good place to set everything right now, but am considering, cleaning out a space in the garage for it. Since I just picked up a G27, and G21, I plan to start shooting a little more often. Just trying to get an idea how much it will save me to reload. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I handloaded for many years (25+). It can save you money, depending on how much you value your time. I had a Rock Chucker and it is a great press, but it is a single stage press (unless RCBS has changed it). A single stage press is obviously much slower than a progressive press.

So, your Rock Chucker ammo will "cost" more than ammo made with a progresive press. I used 2 presses. One was the Rock Chucker, which I used for precise loading like defense or hunting. These rounds were top-end loads that needed to be right on the money. My other press was a Lee 1000 (best value on the market) and I could turn out hundreds of range loads per hour. I doubt the RCBS will produce 100 rounds per hour, and even that will take a well planned system.

Back when I reloaded, I shot .38/.357, .44 magnum, and a lot of .45 acp. Today, my main shooting mostly involves 9mm. I can easily buy 1000 rounds of 9mm FMJ for $200. You can do the calculations for the cost of 1000 bullets, primers, and bullets. (I never bought brass in all those years as it was easy to pick it off the floor of any range.) Once you figure the cost of your components, figure out how long it will take you to make 1000 rounds. If you have a job, use your hourly-wage to figure out what your time cost to make the ammo. Add the wage to the cost of components and now you know whether you can "save" money by hand-loading. If the total is less (And, I really doubt it) than $200, you saved money.

Since you are an experienced reloader, you know that the benefit of creating loads that can't be bought is a great benefit of doing it yourself. When I started reloading, SuperVel was the only hot load you could get. Building my own loads made it worthwhile. A great defensive load for a 2" .38 or .357 was to put a hollowbased wadcutter upsidedown over a max-load of powder with a magnum primer. Now that was a hollowpoint. And, you could only get them by making them yourself. Special hot loads for big Russian boar just weren't made for .44 magnums. Sure there were hot HPs and SPs, but they were worthless on tough hides. Using FMJ truncated cone silouette bullets over lots of powder solved the problem. Again, you have to make them yourself.

Sometimes, it's not about the money. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You're right, Ted. It's not about the money. Just got into reloading and it's about as enjoyable as shooting!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just hit me the last time I was at the range. It took me about 45 minutes to burn thru almost $40.00 of store bought stuff. And this was with me shooting with a buddy, taking turns. I do have about 150 rounds of lead stuff left from years ago, but its a NoNo in the Glocks, which is what I'm shooting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It just hit me the last time I was at the range. It took me about 45 minutes to burn thru almost $40.00 of store bought stuff. And this was with me shooting with a buddy, taking turns. I do have about 150 rounds of lead stuff left from years ago, but its a NoNo in the Glocks, which is what I'm shooting.
Just put an after market barrel in your glock and shoot all the lead you want.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using your own brass and metal jacket bullets reloading costs are approx. 30% to 50% of the cost of factory ammo, depending on type of bullet you select. Using lead would be a little less. Using premium .45 ammo, factory vs reloading, your savings can be $.85 per shot.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Using your own brass and metal jacket bullets reloading costs are approx. 30% to 50% of the cost of factory ammo, depending on type of bullet you select. Using lead would be a little less. Using premium .45 ammo, factory vs reloading, your savings can be $.85 per shot.
I don't know what kind of "premium" ammo you're talking about, but your "savings" equals $42.50 per box of 50. So that means a retail cost would be around $56 to $80 per box?

Money can be saved, but at that rate, I'd quit shooting .45 ammo before I'd pay $1 per round for it. Are you sure you meant 85 cents per round?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a g17 and g21 and i use lead bullets in my factory barrels. i dont have any problems...
example: 9mm 147 flat nose lead bullets, 2000 rounds cost around 210 dollars...but you have to know where to get the best deals on supplies.....lewis lead remover is the best way to clean lead out of the barrels...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.