Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use to clean firearm with after shooting corrosive amm? I know some use a water based cleaner and say you have to keep rust away. I do not agree with that line of thought. Am I wrong? Please share your thoughts and cleaning procedures.
Thanks All

·
None
1,525 Posts
I use a Windex (or similar product) soaked patch while still at the range. I immediately clean with the bore with solvent when I get home, and then I clean again in another day or so after shooting.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I clean the entire barrel with Hoppes #9 solvent and then put a fine film of RemOil on the bore after I'm done.

·
Registered
443 Posts
With a pistol, just use the kitchen sink with dish soap and hot water. This process neutralizes the salts and cleans up well. Use a hairdryer or compressed air to eliminate any leftover water. Coat every thing with a light oil.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it is that much cheaper. I can buy 100 rnds for corrosive instead of 20 rnds non corrosive. Ive been cleaning like jb does and my barrel looks brand new after 20 yrs. I never had the ? about corrosive ammo until I came across some guys that say use WD-40 or windex or your barrel will rust. So I thought I would pose the ? to see what you guys have to say.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
I use a Windex (or similar product) soaked patch while still at the range. I immediately clean with the bore with solvent when I get home, and then I clean again in another day or so after shooting.
Do you use a Windex patch every time you shoot at the range, or just when you shoot corrosive ammunition?

What exactly is corrosive ammunition?

I know this is kind of an old thread. I usually clean my guns as soon as I get home from the range... Something came up yesterday and I couldn't clean them right away. It made me think of this thread... thinking it might be worthwhile to take some Windex to the range and wipe the barrel down before going home.

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts
What makes it corrosive is that there is Mercuric type salts in the primer of the ammunition, when this ammo is discharged it literally coats the barrel in these salts and will rot your barrel if not cleaned the right way.
So, what constitutes corrosive ammo? Is all ammo corrosive? I don't remember ever seeing a box of ammo that said corrosive on it.

For example, is WWB corrosive?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
So, what constitutes corrosive ammo? Is all ammo corrosive? I don't remember ever seeing a box of ammo that said corrosive on it.

For example, is WWB corrosive?
no, WWB is not corrosive.

generally corrosive ammo comes in the form of military surplus, or (very) low quality foreign manufacture. it usually says corrosive on the package. if you're not sure, then i would avoid it :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.