Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I took the 24 hour Concealed Carry Handgun course from the state's training center. This class is for peace officers that work in a plain clothes or undercover assignment. I shot the issued Kimber Tactical HD II for the first day and a half and then shot my Glock 34 for the rest of the class. Both pistols functioned properly with nary a malfunction. I have to admit enjoying shooting the Glock more simply due to not having all of the external safeties.

This class was conducted on the steel range (very similar to a Rogers Range). The targets have pneumatic heads that pop up signaling the start of a stage (four such targets) as well as two leaners that come out from behind a wall. Ranges are from 7 yards out to 15 yards. All shots were from the raw with concealment required on both draws.

I enjoyed the class, but it wasn't as challenging as I expected. In all three days I had a single miss. It was the head shot on a Bill Drill in which we fired six rounds on the body and one to the head in four seconds from concealment. The miss was with the Kimber, but it wasn't the gun's fault.

They did pull a few cars out on the range and had us drawing from the driver's seat and shooting at the steel targets. That was pretty cool.

On the course evaluation, I suggested that they designate this course as being a "basic" course with a more challenging "advanced" course being developed and offered. On the whole, I used the class to work out a bad habit that I had gotten into stemming from the competitions I have been shooting lately. I've been trying to be too perfect and haven't been shooting at the speeds that I normally shoot while not trusting my instincts. My focus this week was speed, speed, speed.

·
Super Moderator
7,030 Posts
Sounds like a good course, jl...

I'm glad that Georgia offers a class for plain clothes and undercover officers... I'll bet it's a big help to most of them...

Cool. You can tell me more on the way to IDPA Sunday.
No lunch at the Butt Hut?

·
None
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.