Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this discussion so please forgive my basic questions. Why do some Glocks have compensators and some not? I would assume that either compensators are good or bad and that all weapons would be one way or the other.

--Dr. J.

·
None
1,525 Posts
I'm new to this discussion so please forgive my basic questions. Why do some Glocks have compensators and some not? I would assume that either compensators are good or bad and that all weapons would be one way or the other.

--Dr. J.
It depends upon the intended use of the firearm. The compensated pistols are primarily for shooting competitions (rules allowing of course).

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
or carrying as a tool to protect one's life like I carry my G19C. :)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
C or not ... sort of like compact vs duty size or .45acp vs 9mm. To each his own. If all were the same it would be boring. One could argue anything is "best" but even then not everyone will agree.

I have only owned one "C" ... well, actually just a ported barrel for my G34. I got it just to see what the hub=bub was all about. I fired it today for the first time. Chief tried it too. It definitely made a soft shooting gun even softer. It was also noticeably louder. It also blacked out the red fiber optic front sight after only 1 mag dump.

I don't fault anyone that wants a C gun but I will probably be listing this bbl for sale soon. I just got it to try out. I did. I'm ready to move on.

·
None
1,525 Posts
C or not ... sort of like compact vs duty size or .45acp vs 9mm. To each his own. If all were the same it would be boring. One could argue anything is "best" but even then not everyone will agree.

I have only owned one "C" ... well, actually just a ported barrel for my G34. I got it just to see what the hub=bub was all about. I fired it today for the first time. Chief tried it too. It definitely made a soft shooting gun even softer. It was also noticeably louder. It also blacked out the red fiber optic front sight after only 1 mag dump.

I don't fault anyone that wants a C gun but I will probably be listing this bbl for sale soon. I just got it to try out. I did. I'm ready to move on.
The Glock C models have V shaped porting; so, they don't blacken the sight nearly as bad as what you were getting today. My 18C doesn't do it that bad either even though it doesn't have the V shapes porting.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
The Glock C models have V shaped porting; so, they don't blacken the sight nearly as bad as what you were getting today. My 18C doesn't do it that bad either even though it doesn't have the V shapes porting.
You don't need sights with the 18C. Just spray and pray. LOL
Just like with a shotgun, you don't need to look at sights. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,027 Posts

--Dr. J.
Compensators are generally designed to take some of the muzzle flip out of shooting a gun. The barrel is vented on top and the gas rising out of the vents acts against the natural forces causing the gun to rise/flip. While generating less flip is a good thing, compensated guns are normally thought of as range/target pistols.

There are a few down sides to compensated pistols. Many times flames will rise from the holes in the barrel - see Boomer's avatar. These flames can be distracting and in the event of self protection or some tactical operation, the flames can give your position away... In some extreme examples, when firing a compensated gun in an awkward position, the flames can burn you. Additionally, depending on the design of the compensation ports, the gunpowder can darken your front sight and make it hard to see.

Several of the people posting in this thread that have compensated Glocks actually have many Glocks. I wouldn't recommend someone purchase a compensated Glock for their first pistol.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Nope. It can be controlled.
You know I was kidding, with both statements. Birdshot out of a HD shotgun at a few feet distance patterns out to about 2". It's not just point and shoot in the general direction.

The 18c was surprisingly controllable. The first time I shot it, I was literally shocked at the lack of muzzle rise that I had experienced when shooting other full auto firearms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.