Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just received my 3rd mag for my G26 from Glockmeister, had to get at least 1 while they were 20.00. I went to put some ammo in the mag and realized I only had 4 Golden Sabers and 4 Federal HST's. So, I fugured I'd make a "Cocktail" mag. I loaded 2 Ranger FMJ's, then loaded every other round with a Golden Saber or HST. Does anybody else carry a "Cocktail" mag? Maybe a multipurpose mag with different loads?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Nope. I load my carry mags all with one particular load. I choose what I think is "the best" ... whatever that is ... and stick with it.

I know some people really get into alternating rounds FMJ/JHP/etc. Some do the same with shotguns, alternating slugs/buckshot/etc. Personally, I think they are over thinking it. There's nothing wrong with thinking things through ... don't get me wrong.

The reality is this ... when the SHTF are you going to know what round is in what position? Are you going to take/make shots based on that? Are you going to eject live rounds to get to what you want to shoot next?

I can see someone changing mid-fight from buckshot to slug or VV but even that is a long shot for me, Joe Civilian, defending my home. At any distance I am taking shots I will stick with buckshot.

I know that wasn't your reasoning in loading a cocktail mag. I was just anticipating where the discussion will go from here.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Yeah, I don't do it either. To each their own.

On my HD shotgun, I have it loaded up with birdshot and carry 6 rounds of buckshot on the side saddle. Birdshot is my choice based on my home layout. From my bedroom, shooting someone coming into my bedroom door puts my kid's bedrooms in line of sight.If I get to the stairs first, then I can dump buckshot in manually since I won't have the kids in my line of fire.

Of course this is the "plan" and we all know how plans go. Watching a DVD the other day, I learned something that changes my plan drastically. I always pictured my wife hiding behind the bed, with her firearm/shotgun, prepared for the intruder to come through the door. Again, this puts her in line of sight with the kids rooms. I always thought the bed was the only place she should be, but after watching the video, I now know of two more positions she can take that remove the kids from line if sight while still giving her the element of surprise, possibly even more so than my original plan.

Best case scenario, my wife has the kids and I have the advantage of being at the top of the stairs ending any threats as they funnel up the stairway.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Watching a DVD the other day, I learned something that changes my plan drastically. I always pictured my wife hiding behind the bed, with her firearm/shotgun, prepared for the intruder to come through the door. Again, this puts her in line of sight with the kids rooms. I always thought the bed was the only place she should be, but after watching the video, I now know of two more positions she can take that remove the kids from line if sight while still giving her the element of surprise, possibly even more so than my original plan.
That was from an episode of The Best Defense: Season 1 I let you borrow. This show is pretty good and they should be starting Season 2 soon if they haven't already. I don't get the channel any more on my DirecTV plan but if you guys do give it a look. Rob Pincus is one of the hosts. That particular episode I found quite helpful also. It made me re-think some things in my "plan".

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I typically load all the same ammo, but was either wait and go buy more HST's or just load a surprise for whatever needs to get shot. It'd be like, damn what's next, HAHA. I just wanted to have the mag loaded with a full 10 rnds.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The first 3 rounds out of my G26 are CorBon PowRballs and the remaining rounds are 115gr CorBon +P

Light clothing in South Florida doesn't pose any penetration problems.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Light clothing in South Florida doesn't pose any penetration problems.
I hear what you are saying and am not questioning you personally. I do wonder though ....

How does one know which round will be required at that particular moment? Specifically, if I anticipate I might need one round for heavier clothing (ball perhaps) and another for massive expansion (JHP) while the BG is wearing light clothing .... how do I know what the BG might be wearing? What if I have two BGs and one is wearing a coat and the other just shirt sleeves? At that point does it really matter what you are shooting? You aren't going to shoot the guy with the coat with your first round (the PowRball) then switch to the other guy because that's the way your mag is loaded. You're going to shoot whoever needs to be shot first then move on, regardless of what order your mags is in.

I get some folks say ... I'll just keep shooting the guy repeatedly and one of my different rounds in the cocktail mag will do the trick. Probably so, but I would also venture a guess that a couple of rounds or whatever you have in any mag would also do the trick ... be it ball or JHP. The key is how quickly can you stop the threat.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I hear what you are saying and am not questioning you personally. I do wonder though ....

How does one know which round will be required at that particular moment? Specifically, if I anticipate I might need one round for heavier clothing (ball perhaps) and another for massive expansion (JHP) while the BG is wearing light clothing .... how do I know what the BG might be wearing? What if I have two BGs and one is wearing a coat and the other just shirt sleeves? At that point does it really matter what you are shooting? You aren't going to shoot the guy with the coat with your first round (the PowRball) then switch to the other guy because that's the way your mag is loaded. You're going to shoot whoever needs to be shot first then move on, regardless of what order your mags is in.

I get some folks say ... I'll just keep shooting the guy repeatedly and one of my different rounds in the cocktail mag will do the trick. Probably so, but I would also venture a guess that a couple of rounds or whatever you have in any mag would also do the trick ... be it ball or JHP. The key is how quickly can you stop the threat.
exactly, and in the even of needing to fire your weapon in self defense... who is going to remember which rounds are first or second in the mag...and also have to process which BG is wearing what. Its a bad idea to actually create more for your brain to have to process in a stressful self defense scenario.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think it's necessarily about knowing what is coming next, more so about knowing that several different bases are covered. There shouldn't be nothing more for the brain to process other than obtaining the sight picture and squeezing the picture.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think it's necessarily about knowing what is coming next, more so about knowing that several different bases are covered. There shouldn't be nothing more for the brain to process other than obtaining the sight picture and squeezing the picture.
Then why bother to load different rounds in the same mag? Thinking about which target is better demolished by what round is next in the magazine is completely making your brain do ton of things it shouldn't be doing when nano seconds count and your life is on the line. Just becasue you "have the bases covered" will not guarantee the first BG of the pair or bunch will need to be dropped first because he has on a T-shirt and not a jean jacket.

No matter how you slice this, putting different rounds in your mag for self defense is adding to the pile of thoughts needed to stay alive. That pile needs to be as small as possible.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I'll carry this discussion one step further with another somewhat related question .....

How many here carry an extra magazine or for you revolver guys a speed loader of some kind?

I'll start. I do. I didn't use to. I used to think extra magazines were only for "more bullets".

·
Registered
443 Posts

It's really a simple plan... the PowRBalls are for soft targets, the remainder, while still very effective on soft targets, will be better penetrators against cover.

"Well, what if there's 3 bad guys and one is wearing a bathing suit, another is in a business suit and the third has a kevlar overcoat and ballistic helmet?"

"What if there are 12 bad guys, and you only have 11 rounds?"

"What if.....?"

Then, I guess it's back to the drawing board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.