Glock Pro Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wanted to try some 147 grain but all I could get my hands on were the 115 at the time. I like trying to buy ammo in bulk so I can save some money. I was looking at some 147 grain American Eagle on Sportsmanship Guide. I think it was like $240 for 1000 rounds. Which is cheaper than spending $100 for 350 rounds of 115 grain at Gander Mountain. Eventually I am hoping on getting the 3.5 connector, a ported barrel, sights (probably Dawson Precision), weighted magwell.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah judgecrater, I was also really suprises on how well the reduced power striker spring improved the trigger. All of the upgrades work well together but definitely the striker spring significantly improved it right away.
And, this is because the trigger pull (the bar) must push the striker nub to the rear, so a lighter spring takes away required force to do this?

Any chance that lighter weight striker springs reduce the force of the striker, making it not hit the primer hard enough and not fire?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haysmclean, yes...the striker spring is compressed when you pull back on the trigger. The less weight it takes to pull it back the easier the trigger pull. That's why so many people switch to the lighter striker spring. It is possible that you can have light primer hits but it's not often. But that's also why you but a lightened striker with an extended tip. If you start to have light primer hits the lightened sticker would solve that problem for you. Its well worth getting the lighter striker spring. The difference is night and day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm reviving a dead thread here. Hopefully you guys are still visiting to share your thoughts opinions. I own a glock 21 that has been fully overhauled. fulcrum trigger kit, 2# striker spring, 3# connector, polished up all parts, etc. I loaded some really really light loads to reduce recoil to get faster target acquisition/follow up shots. 230gr FMJ bullets using winchester WLP primers and 4.2 grains of hp38. As you guessed already, they don't eject. Stove pipe every time. I'm looking at the springs available at the glock store and they come in 11, 13, 15# which are below the factory 17#. I don't want to buy all 3 so I'm looking for some recommendations on which weight I should go with. I was thinking the 13 would be ideal. Your thoughts???

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also would like to know ChknNrice Answer for my Glock 21 that hits Hard for slow second Target follow up Shot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same issue with my G21sf. I tried the 15# and had no improvement in ejection of target loads with Bullseye. Clearly you need to go lower than 15.

I own a glock 21 that has been fully overhauled. fulcrum trigger kit, 2# striker spring, 3# connector, polished up all parts, etc. I loaded some really really light loads to reduce recoil to get faster target acquisition/follow up shots. 230gr FMJ bullets using winchester WLP primers and 4.2 grains of hp38. As you guessed already, they don't eject. Stove pipe every time. I'm looking at the springs available at the glock store and they come in 11, 13, 15# which are below the factory 17#. I don't want to buy all 3 so I'm looking for some recommendations on which weight I should go with. I was thinking the 13 would be ideal. Your thoughts???

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I'm reviving a dead thread here. Hopefully you guys are still visiting to share your thoughts opinions.
There's nothing like an old thread!

I own a glock 21 that has been fully overhauled. fulcrum trigger kit, 2# striker spring, 3# connector, polished up all parts, etc.
You're NOT planning to carry this gun for self defense, are you?

I loaded some really really light loads to reduce recoil to get faster target acquisition/follow up shots. 230gr FMJ bullets using winchester WLP primers and 4.2 grains of hp38. As you guessed already, they don't eject. Stove pipe every time. I'm looking at the springs available at the glock store and they come in 11, 13, 15# which are below the factory 17#. I don't want to buy all 3 so I'm looking for some recommendations on which weight I should go with. I was thinking the 13 would be ideal. Your thoughts???
Your load is below the minimum published by Hodgdon. While I understand the desire for light recoil, the load does need to be published: below that threshold I would wonder about safety.

Now for a couple more questions:

1) Is this a Gen4 or Gen3 G21? My reason for asking is that your options for Recoil Spring Assemblies with a Gen4 are going to be different than for a Gen3. Not bad, just different. If you want to swap springs with a Gen4 G21 you'll need an adapter and steel guide rod along with the spring(s). For Gen3 you can use RSA assemblies from some aftermarket suppliers. Lone Wolf has the parts to handle either situation, I'm sure other suppliers do as well.

2) Have you tried using factory ammo, or are your reloads the first ammo you've used in this gun? My reason for asking is that I have a G21SF (still available only in Gen3) and with factory ammo I find it's a very light-shooting gun with the standard RSA.

3) I almost hate to bring this up, but somebody will ask sooner or later: are you gripping the gun properly? Being lighter than most of the competition, any Glock will require a correct, firm grip to function properly. Not knowing anything about your background with handguns, for all I know this could be your first gun of any kind. If you have experience with Glocks, then you can skip this question. If not, then it's a fair question.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
I'm reviving a dead thread here. Hopefully you guys are still visiting to share your thoughts opinions. I own a glock 21 that has been fully overhauled. fulcrum trigger kit, 2# striker spring, 3# connector, polished up all parts, etc. I loaded some really really light loads to reduce recoil to get faster target acquisition/follow up shots. 230gr FMJ bullets using winchester WLP primers and 4.2 grains of hp38. As you guessed already, they don't eject. Stove pipe every time. I'm looking at the springs available at the glock store and they come in 11, 13, 15# which are below the factory 17#. I don't want to buy all 3 so I'm looking for some recommendations on which weight I should go with. I was thinking the 13 would be ideal. Your thoughts???
What PF does your ammo chrono?

Springs are cheap... Buy all three (or whatever) and a non-captive guide rod and try them at the range...

·
Registered
7 Posts
cohland

You're NOT planning to carry this gun for self defense, are you?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! I even have a trijicon RMR red dot milled on top. Milled by some guy named Doug in warren michigan. did a fantastic job. ATEI is the name of his company. I have over $1800 invested in this glock. no way would i want it confiscated for CCW mishap.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your load is below the minimum published by Hodgdon. While I understand the desire for light recoil, the load does need to be published: below that threshold I would wonder about safety.

Meh. Their mins/max's are always within a threshold. They always buffer for idiots like me. I would show concern for .5 grains below, but .1 won't kill. I found inaccurate data on hogdgdons website anyway regarding .357 loads and h110 or win296. They say the starting load for a 125gr hornady xtp bullet should be 21 grains and 22 for max. Even with 20 grains I had a very difficult time getting the brass to eject due to case expansion and also flattened primers. I dialed it back to 17 and all is well. I don't trust what I read from them sometimes. I usually go very a few sources before I load up.

---------------------------------------------------

Now for a couple more questions:

1) Is this a Gen4 or Gen3 G21? My reason for asking is that your options for Recoil Spring Assemblies with a Gen4 are going to be different than for a Gen3. Not bad, just different. If you want to swap springs with a Gen4 G21 you'll need an adapter and steel guide rod along with the spring(s). For Gen3 you can use RSA assemblies from some aftermarket suppliers. Lone Wolf has the parts to handle either situation, I'm sure other suppliers do as well.

Gen 4 full size. I'm aware of the adapter ring. I've been part shopping researching for a few weeks on this. Just trying to nail down the right weight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Have you tried using factory ammo, or are your reloads the first ammo you've used in this gun? My reason for asking is that I have a G21SF (still available only in Gen3) and with factory ammo I find it's a very light-shooting gun with the standard RSA.

Of course! The first few 1000 i fed her were factory before i started playing with reloads. I've always reloaded for revolvers only but the scarcity of ammo these days has forced me to start doing 9mm and .45 acp as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

3) I almost hate to bring this up, but somebody will ask sooner or later: are you gripping the gun properly? Being lighter than most of the competition, any Glock will require a correct, firm grip to function properly. Not knowing anything about your background with handguns, for all I know this could be your first gun of any kind. If you have experience with Glocks, then you can skip this question. If not, then it's a fair question.

Yes, I'll be skipping this question. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
I wish I had access to a chrono.

That is about where I'm at now.
Chronographs should always be used when reloading... especially when deviating from standard loads in reloading manuals... Slight changes in powder volume and/or OAL can make the difference between the underpowered jams you are experiencing and catastrophic failure...

Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

The link above is the chrono I use...

Not too expensive and it's accurate... My ammo chrono'd within one fps of the match chrono at the last major meet I went to... Pretty accurate considering the event used a very expensive dual enclosed chronograph...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Again Chris gives a great answer. Return springs indeed can help with recoil or make it worse. It of course is something you can "play" with and see what suits you and your style of shooting. I will strongly urge you not to do such with a firearm that you carry for self defense. Please remember the good folks at Glock have matched things so you and your loved ones can depend on them to function correctly everytime when you need it most. Be SAFE.....Shoot WELL
Oklahoma, how've you been brother?
Am I correct, your point about the self-defense firearm is due to the way a firearm is picked apart by the prosecution and or the lawyer of a during party if was used in "self-defense? If so, EXCELLENT advice!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Justme I'm great just have been snowed under at work. I thought being in business for yourself was going to be easier and allow me more time to shoot......Wrong! Anyway you got it exactly about being picked apart in court. My daughter and her husband are both attorneys and my son is a OCPD Detective and I'm an old cop from long ago but we all agree about firearm forensics. Anything that can be used to throw a bad light on a shooting will be used including changes to looks. It's a sad commentary but all too true. Take care of yourself bro. Be SAFE.....Shoot WELL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Justme I'm great just have been snowed under at work. I thought being in business for yourself was going to be easier and allow me more time to shoot......Wrong! Anyway you got it exactly about being picked apart in court. My daughter and her husband are both attorneys and my son is a OCPD Detective and I'm an old cop from long ago but we all agree about firearm forensics. Anything that can be used to throw a bad light on a shooting will be used including changes to looks. It's a sad commentary but all too true. Take care of yourself bro. Be SAFE.....Shoot WELL
My carry weapon is a glock 26. Fully stock except for night sights.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Was told the same thing when I started working for myself. Forgot the part about emails and phone calls 24\7. I learned what the speaker with a line through it meant real quick on my cell phone. lol

Back to topic of the OP: Some good stuff you shared. I expect some fallout with my G23 should I stop a threat that caused me to "fear imminent death or serious physical injury" to myself or family member. I had to reduce the grip diameter by sanding the finger grooves a bit then stippled since inner tube or a talon grip would have made it even larger. Got a blessing letter if you will from Glock stating my modification WERE acceptable to factory standard. Also made a thumb groove in the front of the magazine holder as found on Gen 2 G19s like my Bride's. Was included in the letter. My Lawyer stated was good to go.

ChknNrice, let us know how everything works out bro.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am using a Glock 34 and a Glock 19 with 147gr. ammo
Which recoil spring should I use with each???
34 stock is 17 lb. -- change to 13 lb.???????
19 stock is 18 lb.

I am using both guns for competition

147 gr. Extreme FMJ
3.3 gr Titegroup

·
Super Moderator
3,070 Posts
Unless your ammo is light on power (typically only for competitions) your stock springs are the best bet.

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
I am using a Glock 34 and a Glock 19 with 147gr. ammo
Which recoil spring should I use with each???
34 stock is 17 lb. -- change to 13 lb.???????
19 stock is 18 lb.

I am using both guns for competition

147 gr. Extreme FMJ
3.3 gr Titegroup
Take your gun to a range and try different recoil springs...

Not sure what type of competition you're planning to shoot... If it is USPSA or IPSC, where you shoot two shots at paper targets, you want the gun to naturally point back to the POA after the first shot... Different recoil springs position the gun differently... You still need to choose a recoil spring that will cycle the gun reliably, but there are other things to consider...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The easy answer is "yes".... But, the trick, as has been already mentioned, is degree.... I have a really nice Wolfe guide rod and spring kit that when I bought it, I could just imagine "tuning" my G17L to custom hand loads I'd work up.... Hell, I can't shoot well enough to tell the difference between 4 grain and 6 grain (powder) loads, so I never even tried one different spring and it came with at least 5!
Wanna sell that kit with the springs since u don't use it?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts