Glock Pro Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Very interesting, looks like a simplified glock with a CZ grip angle/backstrap. Fewer parts could mean it is lighter than a comparable glock, and together with the overall thinness it could be a nice IWB carry weapon. Also looks to have a shorter trigger reach.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting, looks like a simplified glock with a CZ grip angle/backstrap. Fewer parts could mean it is lighter than a comparable glock, and together with the overall thinness it could be a nice IWB carry weapon. Also looks to have a shorter trigger reach.
you sure can see the CZ75 influence in the grip :)

i just found a company website: http://www.caracalusa.com/

·
Registered
252 Posts
Interesting accessories they have too. A shoulder stock and tactical frame set-up. Now where can you see or purchase one first hand?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Interesting accessories they have too. A shoulder stock and tactical frame set-up. Now where can you see or purchase one first hand?
+1 I'd like to see and fondle one! Checked their website and there is not a lot of info there, other than specs.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 I'd like to see and fondle one! Checked their website and there is not a lot of info there, other than specs.
i still haven't been able to find out where these people here in the US purchased them from. lol they're getting 'em from somewhere. i know the importer is in TN, but that leads to a dead end. i'd love to check one out in person too! :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Found this [Caracal pistols in USA

Caracal targets: Going great guns

By Derek Baldwin, Senior Reporter

The new 9mm Caracal sub-compact handgun, launched at the 9th International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEX-2009), is more than just a deadly firearm soon to be in use by security forces around the world.

Manufacturers said the UAE-made firearm is a symbol of quality being produced by Emiratis in a country where manufacturing is virtually non-existent.

Caracal is the only small arms manufacturer in the Gulf region.

"It's not so much that we're producing pistols," said Saeed Ali Al Shamsi, Caracal Commercial Director. "It's the fact that we're now producing a high-quality product that is being sold around the world. This is the start of a new manufacturing industry." Tens of thousands of units have been designed and produced - thanks to 150 full-time employees including many Emiratis - at Caracal International's Abu Dhabi manufacturing plant.

"There are a lot of bright UAE nationals. Now is the time to give them a chance to achieve greater things," said Al Shamsi.

In a country known mostly for oil and goods export/re-export, the success story so far of the Caracal product and its production plant is a harbinger of a much more productive future for UAE nationals, he said. "If we can compete in small arms manufacturing around the world, then why can't we compete in building cars or electronic micro-chips?"

A wholly owned subsidiary of Tawzun Holding, Caracal first launched its full 9mm firearm two years ago.

However, the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms only recently gave its approval for sales in the US.
Al Shamsi said the company plans to embark on a soft launch of the firearms in America in 2010 with the handguns selling for up to $720 (Dh2,650) in North America.

The market for the handgun is wide as a service weapon for government, military, police and private security firms.

What's in a name

The company is named after the Caracal desert cat, Al Shamsi said, because like the animal, the firm's weapons are "agile, small and fast. We try to replicate that in the way we work"

Xpress Thursday, May 28, 2009

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's another thing, i know the list is $720, but i wonder what they've actually been selling at. still can't find an actual website that sells them lol :)

maybe i should leave a mssge on youtube for the steyr.com guy that reviewed it.

·
Super Moderator
6,991 Posts
Very nice looking pistol... Very Glocklike... certainly a Glock-looking trigger... More stylish than a Glock for sure.. Looked like it shot OK...

Good post...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Was just interested in seeing if any of you have gotten your hands on one of these bad boys? I'm interested in getting a G21 but would like to compare it to the Caracal F .45 when it's released.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Was just interested in seeing if any of you have gotten your hands on one of these bad boys? I'm interested in getting a G21 but would like to compare it to the Caracal F .45 when it's released.
Yes, I have seen a 9mm Caracal, I believe it was manufactured in the UAE. A student brought one to our Action Range Certification class, we thought it looked interesting. It lasted about, oh, fifteen or twenty rounds until it jammed solid after firing and ejecting a round. We replaced it with a loaned G17, the student completed the course without further problems.

I never did hear what the cause of the complete failure was, apparently something pretty important broke. The student sort of laughed it off, saying it was cheap and he should have known better.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia article:Caracal pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a recent link to a recall notice:http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/10/20/caracal-issues-a-limited-recall/

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never did hear what the cause of the complete failure was, apparently something pretty important broke.
Do you know how long ago this class was? I'm curious to know if this was possibly an issue they had with their first models and if this problem has been rectified. I've been reading various reviews and such for a while now and it seems the general feelings on this pistol (compared to other polymers in its price range) have been pretty positive.

It was designed by Wilhelm Bubits, which also designed the Steyr M & S model pistols. I thought I read somewhere that he was also employed at Glock during some point in his career, so I figured this would be close to or on par with its counterparts.

I'm not in the market for a new firearm at the moment anyways, just doing a little research and such.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Do you know how long ago this class was? I'm curious to know if this was possibly an issue they had with their first models and if this problem has been rectified....
I believe it was the spring or summer of 2012, fairly recently, but I have no way of following up with the member. Sorry I can't offer more help or useful information.

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
My LGS had some in the bottom shelf a few months ago, i did handle it and it felt pretty good in the hands. I've been back there many times since and have not seem them in stock anymore. I will ask them why. Also checked Buds and they dont have it in stock either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been a little busy at work and haven't had the time to reply. Continue to send in any first hand info about this pistol, as I am very interested in hearing what you all have to say.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts