Glock Pro Forums banner

10mm JHP or FMJ

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you are depending on the pistol to actually kill the bear etc...then I'd go a diff. route. Like I said previously. The most likely thing that would get rid of that bear etc... will be the noise that it makes when you shoot it. If you want to have a pistol big enough to take down game that big...I'd go with something like a 44 mag. Thats just me though. Here is a good read: http://www.chuckhawks.com/protection_field.htm
watch a show tonight about a guy who gets rid of Bears some where around mammoth mountain, ca. He ha many was to run Bears off, but if he pulls out a gun, he uses rubber pellets before they sheriffs use real bullets,

·
Administrator
7,045 Posts
watch a show tonight about a guy who gets rid of Bears some where around mammoth mountain, ca. He ha many was to run Bears off, but if he pulls out a gun, he uses rubber pellets before they sheriffs use real bullets,
Wow, that sounds pretty brave...

He must really be familiar with the bears...

·
Registered
25 Posts
FWIW,
While working in Alaska, based out of Anchorage, I had the time to read a book about Bear attacks.
There was a documented story that happened in the late 1800's of 6 or 7 men on horses that shot
a Bear thru the heart at some distance away (has been many years since I read the story) by Rifle.
The Bear killed all but one of the men before dropping.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
FWIW,
While working in Alaska, based out of Anchorage, I had the time to read a book about Bear attacks.
There was a documented story that happened in the late 1800's of 6 or 7 men on horses that shot
a Bear thru the heart at some distance away (has been many years since I read the story) by Rifle.
The Bear killed all but one of the men before dropping.
Much bigger bears I imagine than our local 3-400# black bear...if not, I may not go camping again! lol

And did it say what ammo they used?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very interesting story...was not familiar with it and glad to be now. But I don't see the parallel between man and dogs, and mountain lion or bear.

Still, appreciate your input!

GN
I wasn't trying to make a correlation. It's just, you don't hear that much about 10mm these days.

And your "I'm thinking about taking my 10mm with me into the woods in case I have to defend myself against a large wild animal" just reminded of of Mr. Fish.

He had the same idea...but his turned out to be a very bad day.

I wasn't trying to say...or to even IMPLY that "it could happen to you too!" It's just, it clicked with me, that's all.

I'm rambling...I'll stop now...carry on.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I wasn't trying to make a correlation. It's just, you don't hear that much about 10mm these days.

And your "I'm thinking about taking my 10mm with me into the woods in case I have to defend myself against a large wild animal" just reminded of of Mr. Fish.

He had the same idea...but his turned out to be a very bad day.

I wasn't trying to say...or to even IMPLY that "it could happen to you too!" It's just, it clicked with me, that's all.

I'm rambling...I'll stop now...carry on.
LOL. No problem! As before, appreciate your input, was just curious.
and that story definitely made an interesting read!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree that the best tactic would be to be as unappetizing as possible by securing food and being aware ofyour surroundings.... I love to go to cades cove locally and see the black bears in the park.... Amazing to watch all the fools rush up on them to take photos though so i haveplenty ofsnacks ...i mean people between me and those bears hahaha. Honestly i would hate to ever have to shoot one, but absolutely wouldnot hesitate if threatened.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I do alot of bear hunting and it is as much the speed as the bullet construction. I once took a big black bear that had two old soft lead .44's flattened on it's forehead. They have a thick skull but their hide is also tough. I shot one years ago, to get it off me, with a .32 S&W and the bullets bounced off but gave me time to run. I carry a 10mm 200 grain exposed lead tip at 1,500 fps. for backup and hunting. Bears get real mad real quick when you shoot them with a pistol and it is safer to back away then shoot them. As far as the big cats go if he is hunting you, which is almost unheard of, you won't have time or the opportunity to shoot. The worst camping trip I ever went on was when a bear showed up in camp to take our watermelon and the stupid man in the next camp jumped out of his car and shot it with a .380. It was two days of the bear showing up and chasing us and tearing up the camp. Of course mister .380 loaded up his family and went home right after he shot it. The ranger finally had to put the bear down as it was hurt. If you sleep in a tent with two beef jerky's and a candy bar in your pocket you might get to see a bear or worse, the killer tent skunk!!!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.